The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Head design 101

Would opting for a hollowed out head affect the sound quality or is this purely aesthetic? Such as in this John Mayer D45 Martin...
http://www.martinguitar.com/media/k2..._Mayer_h_1.jpg
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

We usually refer to that as a "slothead". It comes from the classical tradition, and it makes some differences besides tonal considerations. The jury remains out out tonal issues, by the way; other issues cloud those waters more. Because the head itself is thicker the transition from neck to head is different, and traditional Martins start the taper toward the head between the 1st and 2nd frets rather than close to the nut. It doesn't need to be thus, but I personally love the feeling of the "pocket" in the first position that this creates.

Many people feel that restringing is more challenging with a slothead, but I think that once the skill is acquired it is a not issue. Less wraps are required as break angle becomes a non-issue.

The truss rod adjustment will usually be through the soundhole as putting it on the head is asking for structural trouble.

For my conservative taste, a slothead look best on a 12 fret body connection, acceptable on a 13 fretter, and terrible on a 14 fretter. But it is neither right nor wrong in any case as it doesn't much matter except that it is more work to create it and therefore qualifies as an upcharge in my shop.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

As with many things, a slothead will have some tonal differences from a solid headstock.
That said, the difference may be too minor for most people to hear, and it may be better or worse, depending on the listener.
et al
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 PM

I was wondering if the tonal difference would be noticeable. I assumed it would be too minimal for most ears to notice. I like the look of "slot heads". if I could afford a custom Martin i think I'd definitely have it. The rounded style.

Thanks guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop