The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I like the challenge of trying to play something "note for note." Its how I push myself to get better. If I make it easier, it may be entertaining, but self defeating.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
... I'll always sound like me, but every little thing that sticks and becomes a part of what you do expands YOU.
I like that.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM

Default James Taylor's "Covers"

Just came across this yesterday and thought I'd tack it on to this thread for future referencers. It's an interview of james Taylor about his new album "Covers" which contains, what else? - covers! Near the end the discussion touches on why some covers didn't make the album cut and the reasons hit some of the comments make on this thread about making something your own. Interesting listen.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Linda

I really think there are loads of folks here besides me that would love to be "coached up" enough (as our old ball coach spurior used to say) to be able to decide to 'bugger' somebodies song or not. If those that wrote the song were of that opinion and and were in position, they would be able to stop the likes of me from buying a guitar or at least playin it. Play away and next time we get together I hope to hear you 'bugger' a song. bet you can't!

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieflyingfree View Post
I personally like it when liberties are taken with others' music. For instance, one of my favorite musicians, Eva Cassidy, did a couple of covers (Somwhere over the Rainbow, Fields of Gold, and Autumn Leaves, etc...) where she changed a few underlying chords and even played with the melody a bit. As I listened to them, I found that my interpretation of the songs changed in response to the changes she made.

I change things all the time as I see fit - sometimes because of skill (or lack thereof!) and sometimes for artistic reasons. So, no, I don't think you're weird. Enjoy playing!
Yes, Eva did some wonderful work. Likely, she could sing the Yellow Pages and it would sound good. What voice control she had. She seemed so transparent and honest. Her dynamics changed as quickly as a snap of the fingers. What a singer.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
I have a habit of re-writing or creating chord/fingerpicking patterns for songs that I hear where there are no available tabs or for those I can't yet play. I do eventually learn to play it the way the artist does but I find myself kind of unconcerned about it, like I have every right to bugger someone else's music -- LOL!

A lot of times I'll sing the song and simultaneously work out the chords/fingerpicking to match what I'm singing. Others listening to what I've created seem not to mind, except my daughter who is stickler for exacts.

Anyone else do this? I assume that type of creativity probably flows towards the norm? Or am I 'weird' this way?
Linda,
You mean like doing my own arrangement of a famous song?

I would never do someone else's version of song to begin with. If I have nothing new to say, I don't.

Here's my arrangement of JJ Cale's 'Crazy Mama':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqbuVoz2TE

Also my arrangement of Junior Parker's 'Mystery Train':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzrxqzINGw

If that means you're wierd, then I'm very wierd, and I take it as a compliment:-)

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I like the challenge of trying to play something "note for note." Its how I push myself to get better. If I make it easier, it may be entertaining, but self defeating.
I'm with TB on this one.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
Linda, if I could offer a suggestion to you about getting out of your "rut" as you call it. I don't know what type or style of music you play, or listen to. But whatever it is, put something totally different on. I find that no matter what I listen to, what I play still comes out like me. And I find that I can usually pick something here or there up from any kind of music. I listen to everything from bluegrass to solo fingerstyle. If you find a particular song or tune that moves you, then work on it a bit. In your own way.

This always seems to help me move on a bit or get out of a rut that is getting too deep. I'll always sound like me, but every little thing that sticks and becomes a part of what you do expands YOU.
That sounds like a great idea (just saw your post -- sorry). I tend to play a lot of folk/country/indie rock. Getting some great ideas from some of the riffs Patty Griffin plays. Lovely stuff!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Linda

I really think there are loads of folks here besides me that would love to be "coached up" enough (as our old ball coach spurior used to say) to be able to decide to 'bugger' somebodies song or not. If those that wrote the song were of that opinion and and were in position, they would be able to stop the likes of me from buying a guitar or at least playin it. Play away and next time we get together I hope to hear you 'bugger' a song. bet you can't!

jeff
LOL Jeff! I do have the time to host a fall get-together. FWIW too, Melodee has a road show coming up as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Linda,
You mean like doing my own arrangement of a famous song?

I would never do someone else's version of song to begin with. If I have nothing new to say, I don't.

Here's my arrangement of JJ Cale's 'Crazy Mama':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqbuVoz2TE

Also my arrangement of Junior Parker's 'Mystery Train':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzrxqzINGw

If that means you're wierd, then I'm very wierd, and I take it as a compliment:-)

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Love these~~SO fun. Love your style and your voice.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
Love these~~SO fun. Love your style and your voice.
Hi Linda,
Glad to hear you like my voice............I always refer to myself as a songwriter/guitarist/singer.............in that order of proficiency, so I've never thought of myself as a singer at all.

Guess that's why most of my compositions are instrumentals.

Be well,
Howard
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 AM

Most of my playing is either note-for-note from a prepared score (as in classical guitar music) or very close to note-for-note from transcriptions of someone else's fingerstyle or flatpicked solos. I view this sort of playing--trying to perform another person's arrangement--as a perfectly valid means of expression but decidedly inferior to creating my own interpretation. I do the note-for-note thing entirely due to lack of ability to make decent sounding arrangements of my own, a shortcoming I fully expect to remedy over time. Walking before learning to run, etc.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 AM

As a songwriter, I would rather hear you try to sound like YOU playing my tunes. Sometimes, I even like some of the subtle changes you make. I get bored hearing my songs played the same way all the time. Hearing a song a new way keeps things fresh. Sometimes, something someone else does to one of my tunes inspires me to try something different - which is wonderful.

I think that most songwriters would say the same thing. Obviously, this is a massive generalization and there are notable exceptions. And there is a fine line between "personal interpretation" and "butchering" that varies from person-to-person. And whatever you do has to be decent quality and not hacking.

On the flip-side, as a listener, I often enjoy and admire remakes of tunes that go their own direction. I can name several pop tunes where I have enjoyed both the original and a VERY different remake, each on their own terms. And this is, of course, standard practice and an expectation in jazz.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 PM

I think you should at least learn all of the melody and lyrics the way the author intended it before you "interpret" it . This makes your version informed by the original. Also all the chords on a Willie Nelson song or any artist, if taken from sheet music is often filled in by the person making the arrangement for print and does not actually occur in the artists' version. Sometimes they put in a bunch of passing chords which were not there and could certainly be left out and probably should.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write