The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

My CH WS is not like that.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 07-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
OK. Thanks all. I will contact Rainsong tomorrow and take it from there.

MODS: It might be appropriate to delete this thread, since I was only looking for information and not seeking to cause any damage to Rainsong's reputation. I'll leave that decision to you.
RainSong is a good company. I think this thread will show how they take care of an issue like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
OK. Thanks all. I will contact Rainsong tomorrow and take it from there.

MODS: It might be appropriate to delete this thread, since I was only looking for information and not seeking to cause any damage to Rainsong's reputation. I'll leave that decision to you.
Get in touch with Dave. He'll do you right.

I have a Concert, not a Concert Hybrid, but it does have the same unidirectional top. No question that the unidirectional top shows imperfections more than any other. Mine has a few very slight imperfections, but nothing like what you've shown.

I'm surprised that guitar even made it out the door. I can only guess that it was inspected under a light that didn't show those imperfections well or at all. They probably don't affect the sound or durability of the guitar, but you should get another one. And I'm confident RainSong will step up. They've never been anything but awesome to me.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 AM

Since we are talking aesthetics, and to lighten the mood a bit, does that John Pearse Slimline Jr. armrest make my bout look big?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Is yours one of the latest ones that has the shark inlay at the 12th fret. I’ve seen a bunch of those online that seem to have that same issue. Didn’t seem like that was the case before with the older CH models.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
RainSong is a good company. I think this thread will show how they take care of an issue like this.
You may be right, Captain. I just don't want to have this turn into a thread that causes damage to what I believe to be a good company. I'll leave it in the hands of the Mods.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Is yours one of the latest ones that has the shark inlay at the 12th fret. I’ve seen a bunch of those online that seem to have that same issue. Didn’t seem like that was the case before with the older CH models.
This has that shark inlay (which I think is a nice, subtle touch, especially for someone who has a preference for simple and clean).
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Since we are talking aesthetics, and to lighten the mood a bit, does that John Pearse Slimline Jr. armrest make my bout look big?
Based on past experience with that question, I'm going to bite my tongue and not say anything.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Nothing wrong with a little thiccness in the lower bout.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Cue the music: "I like big bouts, and I cannot lie..."

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM

I just had a great conversation with Dave, who let me know that he'd seen this thread and the photos. He's completely committed to resolving this, and will look at some potential solutions and get back to me.

I'm on track to being a happy customer, and look forward to a Rainsong NGD post when I have a new one in hand (which could be a while, since the CH-OM is now their most popular model, with lots of demand and very limited supply).
Old 07-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I just had a great conversation with Dave, who let me know that he'd seen this thread and the photos. He's completely committed to resolving this, and will look at some potential solutions and get back to me.

I'm on track to being a happy customer, and look forward to a Rainsong NGD post when I have a new one in hand (which could be a while, since the CH-OM is now their most popular model, with lots of demand and very limited supply).
Sounds like this will be a happy ending to the story. I have a CH-OM and my top doesn't show anything like that. Personally I wouldn't have been happy with it, so I'm glad Dave/Rainsong will be addressing it for you.

And by the way, I've had mine for a little over a month now and I *love* it. Two gigs with it so far and it has performed fantastically. I've been playing the heck out of it.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
You may be right, Captain. I just don't want to have this turn into a thread that causes damage to what I believe to be a good company. I'll leave it in the hands of the Mods.
Barry, I don’t think there’s a problem with leaving this thread active. Things like this can happen to any reputable company and it’s how they deal with it that’s important. It seems that Rainsong will make it right. Good on ‘em. Such an anomaly can be good info for future owners if they question their own guitars.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I am not surprised that Rainsong is responding to this. I've had a couple conversations with Dave and all have been outstanding.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Here's a picture I found of a CH OM for sale online:

Now I'm wondering if they've changed the fabric or the molding process somehow for the unidirectional tops. I know Leviora uses a proprietary weave they call "Dragonbone." It has a noticeably different texture than plain straight fibers.

Has RainSong possibly done something similar to add a bit of visual interest to their unidirectional tops?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber