The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 AM

Do You Want To Know A Secret: I remember the day at the supper table, when I was 10 or 11, just suddenly belting this out. Big family laughed with joy and Dad even said "he can sing". I'm a bad singer but that's a good memory of 53 years ago.

Lady Madonna: 1968, 4 years later, I'm a teenager hanging out with the gang, probably learned the lyrics started to notice how good Paul was on bass.

1971: got my first guitar. Found The Beatles very hard to learn but eventually did learn a fair bit of their songs. But I tended toward tunes by The Kinks, Stones, Hendrix.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Here comes the Sun--uplifting and beautiful. And I can play it.
Blackbird--uplifting, simple and beautiful. And I can play it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 AM

For me, two of the most enjoyable to play on guitar are Here Comes the Sun and Dear Prudence. I tried for years to get HCTS down but only after discovering Youtube was I able to finally get it down correctly. The wife definitely prefers that to my acoustic rendition of Tush.
Martin D-18GE
Martin CS D-21S
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

A Little Help From My Friends
because my vocal skill set aligns pretty well with Mr.Starr's
Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Blackbird - because it's so dang fun to play.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:11 AM

“Something” because of its mature elegance and beauty, and masterful construction. It flows musically in the graceful way I think Harrison regarded his wife, model Patty Boyd, to be (the first of three classic rock songs to honor her charms — Clapton’s “Layla” and “Wonderful Tonight” being the others). The lyrics are haunting and universal: “Something in the way she moves, attracts me like no other lover, something in the way she woos me,” but this isn’t dumbstruck infatuation. “I don’t want to leave her now, you know I believe and how,” and then the intensified uncertainty in the bridge: “You’re asking me will my love grow, I don’t know, I don’t know.”

The lift of the bridge from the key of C to A major intensifies the drama, resolving with a descending line in A, and the parallel transition back to C, followed by the most sensual guitar solo in the entire Beatles repertoire. The justaposition of the C and A harmonies make a brief reappearance just before the end, musically recalling and underscoring the song’s emotional duality. Then there’s McCartney’s masterfully expressive and supportive bass lines.

Another noteworthy musical gesture is the strikingly original progression in the introductory hook (F-Eb-G7/D-C) — a descending pattern that prefigures the descending progressions that occur throughout the song: C-Cmaj7-C7 and Ami-C+/G#-C/G in the verses, and A-C#mi/G#-F#mi-F#mi/E, and the unsettling chromatically descending line from A, then the parallel but now stabilizing diatonic descending line from C that resolves the tension in the bridge, creating continuity and intuitive musical purpose throughout.
Taylor 562ce 12-string

Last edited by rwhitney; 07-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM

While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

George of course! The best Beatle
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Although not a huge Beatles fan, there's no denying their ability to write a multitude of great songs.

My favourite is probably "The Long and Winding Road" but if I could have one more it would be "Here Comes the Sun" perhaps .
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 AM

Michelle is a beautiful song full of teenage wanting.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Help and Back in the USSR.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM

"Let It Be"
"Help"

Ed
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM

I've always liked the obscurities, maybe because I've only heard them dozens of times instead of hundreds. My vote goes for:

1. "I'm Only Sleeping" (in the US it was released on Yesterday and Today all of a month before Revolver came out.)

2. "Hey Bulldog" (from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack album and not included in any of their other albums in the 60's.)

There is a great early take of I'm "Only Sleeping" on the Anthology series with some harmonies that didn't make the final cut, and a wonderful video of "Hey Bulldog" on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4vbJQ-MrKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMxLm0vCA
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I love the Beatles music, so this is an impossible assignment. However, I will offer up two songs that hit me. Pre-revolver would be "For No One". Just a catchy little tune. Post Revolver, "Everybody's Got Something to Hide 'cept me and My Monkey". Just great rock n' roll!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM

First would be Let It Be. I bought the album shortly after it came out in 1970. I was not quite 14. I loved the whole album but Let It Be was my favorite. It tugs at my heartstrings.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Favorite Beatles Song - well, that changes, sometimes from day to day, but one consistent frontrunner is

And Your Bird Can Sing

just purely for the sound of it.

Can you imagine, if the Beatles had never written it, and then this summer some band released that exact record, how people would be raving about it?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion