The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM

You're bound to make mistakes.

When I was starting out, I was terrified of making mistakes.

Nowadays I just roll with them and keep doing my best, whatever happens.

Great thread!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Never make them happy twice.

Happy when you're starting,

Happy when you're done.
Thats a good one!
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM

When playing solos, have rough ideas of what you might do but do not try to play pre-arranged solos. It will sound canned and uninspired. Take some risks but only when your odds of success are reasonable.

I agree with so much that has been said already. Oh yes, don't start drinking until the last set.

Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
Martin D-28 Clarence White
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Here's one I just learned: If you are contacted about the possibilty of filling in on a gig, then not called back, and you find another band's been booked, it's probably not personal. You just need to get better.

Althought, I'm not complaining, it's nonetheless not a particularly pretty part of the learning curve.

Thom
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jasper View Post
-You don't know a song really well until you can play it flawlessly while watching a hockey game on the big screen over the bar with the sound turned off.

-Try not to burp into the mic.
Yep!! A smile and a laugh cover up a lot of mistakes.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM

If you are going to play at a family gathering or party where there will be kids present, learn to play "Baby Beluga". Be prepared to play it at least six times.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Don't worry about the audience who might be sitting there just staring at you. Most of them would give their left you-know-what to be able to do what you're doing.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
This was great advice... and reminded me of the Greyhound bus scene in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" (Steve Martin, John Candy) when Martin suggests "Three Coins in a Fountain" for a group sing (which falls flat) and Candy responds then with the "Flintstones" which draws everyone in!

Great movie, great advice...

Phil

(just found it on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0nmrOSFHw
Ha! Ha!

So true. That sums it up!

Re mistakes. If it's guitar technique, nobody cares or notices. If it's words then then make a joke afterwards about it as being a 'new version'. Ask the audience if they know the words...keep it light and fun. I recall Leonard Cohen making up words to one of his own songs as he went along. Then after in his dry wit asking the audience 'who wrote that **** thing. The words make no sense so I thought I'd change them'.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
Force yourself to look around at the audience, even if only occasionally. It may feel awkward at first, but you and they will enjoy the performance much more in the end.

Yes! I agree. I am not watching you play the guitar correctly. I am enjoying you and your music because it is picking me up. I am also watching to see if you are enjoying your connection with the people or acting like this is a drudgery. If you are not comfortable looking around while you play, then take a moment to glance at the people to give smiles between tunes. I think you will discover that when raise both eyebrows and smile it will make us all smile.

Not that you are asking for my suggestion, but long ago when our son was in school plays, I said, "Don't ever flirt with anyone in the audience, but do flirt with the entire audience in general. We will feel a special connection, diligently appreciate you as a person and look forward to seeing you more often."

Take an hour or so to do a research beginning with a study on the way Tommy Emmanuel and Carol Burnett treat their audiences. If you have more time watch Fiddler on the Roof because the main character is a prime example of who "flirts with the audience."

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 AM

Talking

Pick up a copy of Livingston Taylor's book "Stage Performance" and give it a read. I was at the National Guitar Workshop a few years ago and he was a featured presenter. I was fascinated (as was the entire group) by his no nonsense approach to performing. The book will give you insights you can use for life! Truly instructive. I incorporated a few of his principals the weekend I returned at I gig I had booked.... Magic! I cannot recommend this enough to anyone wanting to become a "performer"!!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I drink and play all the time. If I can't be a bit happy and play my tunes, it means I'm not ready to play them in public.
That struck me as rather sad.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
That struck me as rather sad.
Why? To each his own I say. And Joe makes a good point about being comfortable enough with your material to play it with a little sauce in you. Im assuming you've never heard Joe's playing... there is nothing sad about it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Wow... this has been a really good thread. I guess I'll see how much of this I can put into practice this Friday. I'll be playing my first two-hour show at a local club.

Well, show may be too grandiose a term... let's just say I'll be the only guy playing a guitar and singing at the place for a couple of hours.

Thom
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM

A tip I got recently from an experienced musician friend of mine -

All communication on stage has to LOOK positive.

Even if I'm saying, "No, we're not doing that, you idiot," to one of my bandmates, I should say it while nodding with a big smile on my face.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Default My rule of thumb

A great thread and some really good advice. I play in the uk in smallish pubs, bars etc. Over the years I have learned the following which now stand me in pretty good stead for any gig.

1. Sing something they know!Always a winner.By alll means throw in a few less well known songs and even originals but when it comes down to it most people want to hear something they know, that they can sing along to or at least tap their feet in time with the beat.
2.Sing and project to the back of the venue.I dont mean in volume terms but make sure you are delivering to the person sat furthest away.
3.I firmly believe that most people in the venue cannot tell the difference between a brilliant Hendrix solo and a song relying on the good old three chord trick. If you do the three chords well,look like you know what you are doing and look as though you are enjoying it then thats all it needs.
4. For me drinking and playing/singing is a no no.Of course each to their own but the need to be half gone before getting up there just turns me off.
5.Engage the crowd.Make an effort to engage them.Tell them they are the best audience you have had in that night!
6.If you make a mistake just carry on, if you are lucky enough that someone is actually paying attention at that moment then laugh it off, say its your version or something like.

Hope this helps.

Ovation 1778T
Roland ac60

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write