The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Things to know when you start playing in public, but no one ever tells you.

The idea for this came from a discussion in another thread. I'm starting to play out and some of the unexpected things I've learned early on are:

-- Just because it's billed as an open mic, don't expect them to have a mic or amp/PA for you to use.

-- Save the celebratory beer or bourbon until after you play.

-- When you were brilliant, everyone in the audience was on their smart-phone; when you were terrible they were all watching intently.

-- You were never as good or as bad as you thought you were, so chill out about your performance, learn from it, and have fun.

Other observations and lessons about what you learned after a while that you wish you had known earlier?

Thom
Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
*mahoganut*

Lead with your 2nd best song and end with your best.

Start on time, end on time, no matter what.

Professionalism defeats philistines.

Always leave 'em wanting more.

rr
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM

I drink and play all the time. If I can't be a bit happy and play my tunes, it means I'm not ready to play them in public.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Remember that, with adrenaline, you'll always play faster than you think you are, so, take a deep breath, and slow down!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Force yourself to look around at the audience, even if only occasionally. It may feel awkward at first, but you and they will enjoy the performance much more in the end.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM

-You don't know a song really well until you can play it flawlessly while watching a hockey game on the big screen over the bar with the sound turned off.

-Try not to burp into the mic.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jasper View Post
-You don't know a song really well until you can play it flawlessly while watching a hockey game on the big screen over the bar with the sound turned off.

-Try not to burp into the mic.
this is CLASSIC!!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 AM

* The audience can't see how you're feeling.

* They probably don't know when you make a mistake, unless you draw attention to it. (So don't.)

(Bluepoet's point is the most important, IMO. Be aware of that adrenalin effect; you won't know it's happening until you suddently realise this piece that was easy at home is all going wrong; that's because you're playing it too fast...)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 AM

Go to the toilet before you start...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
Remember that, with adrenaline, you'll always play faster than you think you are, so, take a deep breath, and slow down!
Amen to that. Still working on it.

I'm also still coming to the realization that while 3-4 chord strumming songs may be a little boring to play, people really like them. I'm doing Petty's "Learning to Fly," and I thought it'd be too simple to go over well. Well, I was wrong about that.

Thom
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs4473 View Post
I'm also still coming to the realization that while 3-4 chord strumming songs may be a little boring to play, people really like them. I'm doing Petty's "Learning to Fly," and I thought it'd be too simple to go over well. Well, I was wrong about that.
You've hit on another pearl of wisdom: You can labor for weeks on a complicated tune you feel is a show stopper, and everyone just sits there. You follow it up with some simple tune you think is a throw-away, and everyone goes nuts. Caveat: No guarantee it's always gonna work that way. Isn't this fun?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Based on my experience with a friend who plays for a living; first, watch for the waitstaff, they are likely to be carrying large tumblers of liquid which can and most likely will be spilled into your electronics - even if you're ten feet from their pathway. Carry some form of back up gear that can get you through a disaster and insure any equipment over $100.

Don't be bothered by someone intently watching you play, they are probably another picker who wants to learn from someone they find amazing to hear.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
Force yourself to look around at the audience, even if only occasionally. It may feel awkward at first, but you and they will enjoy the performance much more in the end.
This was really hard, for me to do. But, it's worth it, because one only needs to see the look of someone's enjoyment listening to a song, to want to keep doing that...forever...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Good point, but it never really works for me. If I meet anyone's gaze, I always feel a fool, a fraud; like I shouldn't be up there - or like I should be doing something different, maybe moving to the groove more, or looking more as if I'm enjoying myself. (I've seen video of myself, and I look bored most of the time, even though I'm not.)
IOW, I feel too judged if I see people looking at me. Obviously I know they are looking anyway, but it's disconcerting to glance up and see dozens of pairs of eyes all focussed on me (no, it's never hundreds...that might actually be easier because it would feel more detached, less personal).

I know this is ridiculous, because I've been playing in public since age 17, 46 years ago! But almost always as a sideman in bands; too little as a solo performer to really conquer the self-consciousness.
I find it better (when I am performing solo) to immerse myself in the piece I'm playing and pretend there's no one there - or maybe just one or two.

Strangely, I feel no such shyness when playing in front of a group of students, even though the numbers might be similar. I suspect it's because in that case I begin with some authority.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Sungha Jung would do well to follow this advice. The last time I saw him he was either looking at the fretboard or the floor. Didn't matter what he was playing, it was like he was doing a solo practice session and letting us listen in, instead of playing for us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write