The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I like to keep my setup as simple as possible so while I do own a mixer, it stays home unless someone is joining me on the gig. I get really good and clean live sound using either Fishman Loudbox Performer or my Bose L1 Compact. If I'm playing a very large room, I'll run directly into the Loudbox and line the mixed signal out of it into the Bose. Honestly I've never played a room or outdoor venue that my system wasn't powerful enough to handle. If you like to keep things simple and effective then you don't need to use a mixer. If you like full control and a bunch of options then get a mixer. I've been down both routes and I prefer simple.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
No, you don't "need" a mixer, but you might enjoy the features it offers. I vastly prefer the expanded EQ that a mixer can provide, and as 815C said, the ability to use an effects loop for pedals.
Why would you need to use the FX loop in a mixer instead of just plugging your effect devices in a series between the guitar and the amp or PA?

The only case I can think of is if you want to use more than one channel and route the effect signal separately from the dry signal, especially in combination with a looper. But that's not a really typical scenario. Of course, whatever floats your boat...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Great info! So what did you for your friend to "fix" the sound to be heard above the chatter? What exactly did you do to the mid sweeps? Is the idea to find a mid frequency that's not competing with the chatter? Did you accomplish this without raising his volume?
Make sure the gain staging is right, set the mid gain back to about 10 O’clock to start and sweep the frequency until it it’s in the mix. Bar chatter is comprised of human voices which cover the spectrum of your voice and more, so notch out the competing frequency, and your voice will sit in the mix without raising the volume.

You can do this by ear with negative eq. I almost never boost frequencies when I mix. I just make sure everything isn’t competing. Once everything wasn’t overlapping, everything sounded clear and the vocals cut through the chatter.

This wasn’t possible without being able to select the mid frequency. You can go even more surgical with a fully parametric eq that some of the digits desks have. (QSC TouchMix, etc)

It’s nice to have mid sweeps because when you need them, you really need them!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

Last edited by The Kid!; 02-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes but a very basic one at that....2 channels with reverb, EQ's for bass, treble & mid.
The mixer on the SA220 isn't all that basic. In addition to the EQ you get 4 reverbs mixable by channel, phase reversal, a great sweepable notch filter for problem frequencies, and phantom power. I gig with a SA 330 a lot in smaller places I play, and had a 220 for a while. It has always done a great job in those places. I also use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic which allows me more room to tweak my sound, but the SA 220 should be fine as is.

Personally I find focusing more on my playing and repertoire, and less on gear, yields the most benefit for my shows.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Why would you need to use the FX loop in a mixer instead of just plugging your effect devices in a series between the guitar and the amp or PA?

The only case I can think of is if you want to use more than one channel and route the effect signal separately from the dry signal, especially in combination with a looper. But that's not a really typical scenario. Of course, whatever floats your boat...
Typical or not, a wet/dry mix can be really useful, with a looper and without.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
In small venues I do fine with my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I don't need a mixer, and I don't need a laser light show.

I may not need a laser light show, but I sure like it.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:25 PM

Absolutely you do. There is no way I'd perform solo without a competent mixer manning the bar who could make me margaritas to cool my nerves...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Absolutely you do. There is no way I'd perform solo without a competent mixer manning the bar who could make me margaritas to cool my nerves...
This forum needs a "Like" button!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I also favor just my amp, mic and instrument as the easiest way to do things. Instead of a mixer, you might consider a DI/blender/preamp/EQ. Since i play multiple instruments, I run through a Grace Design Felix (which gives me loads of EQ possibilities, 2 channels (so I can set up two instruments or a mic and instrument, as well as a boost and mute for tuning if I go that route. Downside, the Felix is not cheap, but there are a lot of pedals/boxes that offer similar functionality for a lot less money. For me, quality EQ controls help me solve all kinds of problems and let the amp just do its thing. ....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
If I don't need an extra mic channel for someone else, I'll usually just go mic and guitar straight into my Bose Compact. Works great, and actually like it best this way.
Wish I could do that with mine, but the Compact has only one XLR. Since I also sing, I need two. No, I don't use pickups (I don't need them and since I switch instruments regularly, a mike allows me to do this without plugging and unplugging and turning things on and off continuously). The 2 XLRs on the Fishman are a great advantage it enjoys over the Compact. There are of course other reasons why I bought it instead.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Short answer: No. You do not need a mixer. The SA220 is perfectly acceptable for good sound based on personal experience. I owned and gigged an SA220 for several years.

An external mixer would allow other musicians to play with you through the same system, but as a solo musician, all it would do is give you more EQ or Effect options.
Couldn't 've said it better..
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Ive used several all in one pa systems and find
i still want a mixer. Its great not to have the extra
stuff to lug but Im fussy about my sound and
like to be close enough to the controls to
change them on the fly. if i have to get up and
walk over to the sa220 to cut or boost a parameter
its just inconvenient for me. Having a mixer
right next to me is just better. so i will vote
for the mixer. YMMV.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ive used several all in one pa systems and find
i still want a mixer. Its great not to have the extra
stuff to lug but Im fussy about my sound and
like to be close enough to the controls to
change them on the fly. if i have to get up and
walk over to the sa220 to cut or boost a parameter
its just inconvenient for me. Having a mixer
right next to me is just better. so i will vote
for the mixer. YMMV.
How far away is your SA220? Too far to walk too?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM

IMO, no, you don't need a mixer.

While you may have more control over sound shaping (The Kid is on a whole other level in his knowledge of this than I am) I always prefer the KISS method.

One thing I always keep in mind is that the more stuff in the signal chain, the more things that can go wrong and be tripped over.

The best thing to do is just try it live and see if it makes a noticeable difference in sound quality/cutting power. That will give you your answer.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Make sure the gain staging is right, set the mid gain back to about 10 O’clock to start and sweep the frequency until it it’s in the mix. Bar chatter is comprised of human voices which cover the spectrum of your voice and more, so notch out the competing frequency, and your voice will sit in the mix without raising the volume.

You can do this by ear with negative eq. I almost never boost frequencies when I mix. I just make sure everything isn’t competing. Once everything wasn’t overlapping, everything sounded clear and the vocals cut through the chatter.

This wasn’t possible without being able to select the mid frequency. You can go even more surgical with a fully parametric eq that some of the digits desks have. (QSC TouchMix, etc)

It’s nice to have mid seeeps because when you need them, you really need them!
So this wouldn't be possible with just the bass, treble, mids EQs on my SA220. I guess the next best thing would be to cut the mids on the vocals and hope the highs and lows come through more to cut through the chatter?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification