The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo View Post
These honeycomb “double top” guitars have been pretty popular in the high-end classical guitar world for over 20 years now. They’ve been a bit slower to catch on in the steel string world, for whatever reason. Maybe the additional tension on the top is an issue with this construction method? Who knows.

https://www.classicguitar.com/the-or...le-top-guitar/

As for the sound, I’ve played a few and they are indeed noticably louder than an equivalent guitar with a traditional top, and tend to be very dynamic and responsive. On the downside, the tone is a bit different than a traditional top in a way that puts some people off. Many think a traditionally built guitar offers a bit more sweetness and warmth. The double tops are pretty popular with concert players who need to fill a large auditorium without mic’ing up, but I’m not sure if they make as much sense for just practicing at home.

I’ve heard a few knowledgeable builders claim that it takes more skill/practice to produce a good quality double top guitar. I wonder how long Eastman has been experimenting with this design before putting it into production. I’d be very interested to test drive one to see how it sounds!
I didn't see your post before I posted so I duplicated some of your info. Oops.

Another consideration is whether these guitars can stand the test of time. The classical models haven't been around for long.

So, it sounds like in the classical world where the guitar isn't miked (am I correct?), the double top is attractive because it projects more volume. But in other genres of music, we have mics, pickups, preamps. Volume isn't a prime consideration.

I came across this critique of the double top classical guitar - with classical guitars, they're mostly made of cedar. It's a little abstruse for me, but it might be interesting for others: https://www.guitarsalon.com/blog/?p=1467
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Tim McKnight (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...er.php?u=10901) should join this discussion as he's a bit of an authority on double tops and i just ordered a guitar from him with a double top...
Old 02-06-2019, 05:47 PM

I have many Taylors serie 3 to 5, some Gibson's parlors and Larrivees as well as a Martin : I love my Eastman AC122ce ! ;-)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM

I wonder if the double tops would suit a fingerstyle player more than a strummer.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/

I really wish they would widen their standard saddle spacing....
Nice line up in your signature!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion