The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Default Don't ya just hate it when....

...when you buy an old beater and it ends up sounding better than your "good" guitars? My recent GAS has been focused on old guitars from the '60s and '70s. I picked up a '72 Guild D-35 a few months ago, and a '68 Gibson LG-0 a couple weeks ago. A couple of days ago I picked up a '73 Yamaha FG-160 for $80... all laminate, made in Taiwan. It is a bit rough... needed a neck reset, a few frets replaced, new tuners, and some TLC. I did all the work and finished it this morning.

These old Yamahas have a strong cult following, and now I know why. After playing it for a bit, I put it down and picked up my Martin OMCPA4. What!?! You've got to be kidding! The Martin sounded small and boxy by comparison. Now granted, it is a smaller OM-sized guitar, and it the strings are a few months old, so not an apples-apples comparison. So I tried my Guild. Now I think the Guild still sounds a bit better, but this little old Yamaha hangs right in there. ...could be the best $80 I ever spent on a guitar.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 PM

Wow! You did a neck reset on an old Yamaha? I have always read that they used some kind of epoxy glue that made it impossible to steam the neck joint apart. That's awesome you were able to save such a sweet old guitar and get it sounding great!
Congrats!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Those old Yamahas are amazing. One of the best guitars, I've ever heard in my life was an old Red Label Yamaha FG-150.

It sounded like liquid caramel...like an autumn sunset....it was insane.
G7th Capos
Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 PM

The body shape reminds me a little of the old Harmony Sovereign ... like this guy's holding up.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
Wow! You did a neck reset on an old Yamaha? I have always read that they used some kind of epoxy glue that made it impossible to steam the neck joint apart. That's awesome you were able to save such a sweet old guitar and get it sounding great!
Congrats!
Thanks! Actually I cheated and did a bolt conversion reset. If it was in nicer shape I might have invested the time and effort to do a proper reset. I've heard they used epoxy as well, and I've also heard they used hide glue, but they used so much it pretty much fills the cavities, making it hard to get steam in there to get it apart. I had a hard time lifting the fingerboard off the body using heat... it pulled up a lot of wood, and it looked more like epoxy than hide glue.

My bolt conversions are better than a lot of the "New York resets" or what I call hillbilly resets where they just run a big screw in through the heel into the block and hide it with a strap button...sometimes not even removing and resetting the fingerboard for the correct angle. I put threaded inserts in the heel and run bolts from the inside... kind of what Godin does with their bolt-ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Those old Yamahas are amazing. One of the best guitars, I've ever heard in my life was an old Red Label Yamaha FG-150.

Yes, I'm hooked.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The body shape reminds me a little of the old Harmony Sovereign ... like this guy's holding up.
Yes, it does... the lower bout bulges out a bit more near the waist. I have a H-1260 like that... when I have the time I plan to do an x-brace conversion on it... and on my LG-0.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 AM

...you have to click on a post to find out what it is about? ;-)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Id agree - those old Guilds are stellar , picked up a '78 D-25 a couple of years back -its a great guitar , think they sold new for like 200 bucks.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Long before a Martin was ever dreamed of, some of the best guitars we played were Yamaha’s. They were serious acoustic guitars and yours proves it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Well played.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post

I have a 1975-ish FG-350 red label that is I have had since buying it new in high school which has been at my brother's house in Fla and has been used, abused and put away wet. It needs new machines and for sure a neck reset plus new frets. Every year or so I change the now rusty strings and am awed by how incredible it sounds. The action is too high to really play, but man oh man, it doesn't sound any worse than my Roy Noble or incredible sounding D-18. Maybe I'll send it off one of these days when I'm in the States to Randy Schertinger and have it done with.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 AM

I would rather ascribe it to the player's finely tuned senses picking out a really nice sounding guitar no matter what the price.

Conversely, if an experienced player is testing a 'heard' of guitars, there is a tendency to judge many of them rather quickly and eliminate the unqualified from purchase consideration. That is, why waste time with an instrument that doesn't 'click'?

Maybe I should submit "A Heard of Guitars" to the guy who irregularly updates "An Exaltation of Larks"?
You know, like "A Pride of Lions".

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
I would rather ascribe it to the player's finely tuned senses picking out a really nice sounding guitar no matter what the price.

Conversely, if an experienced player is testing a 'heard' of guitars, there is a tendency to judge many of them rather quickly and eliminate the unqualified from purchase consideration. That is, why waste time with an instrument that doesn't 'click'?

Maybe I should submit "A Heard of Guitars" to the guy who irregularly updates "An Exaltation of Larks"?
You know, like "A Pride of Lions".

Don
i get it. heard as in i hear it and not as in herd. great terminology. i know about pride of lions but exaltation of larks? how many is that?
p.s. exaltation is happiness or raising one up. hmmm.....

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i get it. heard as in i hear it and not as in herd. great terminology. i know about pride of lions but exaltation of larks? how many is that?
p.s. exaltation is happiness or raising one up. hmmm.....

play music!
A plethora of picks, I believe.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:46 PM

There is a whole category of guitars out there that while not doing anything terribly well sound so good trying. I tend to gravitate towards Harmonys because I like not only the sound but the 1 3/4" nut width and 1950s Gibson-esque neck carves. I am still toting around a block letter logo Sovereign 1260 I bought used in the 1960s. In the past couple of decades I have added two more Sovereigns as well as a 1942 H165 Stella and 1956 H40. My favorite though is the H40. A fairly hard to find guitar only having been available for a couple of years and at the time the highest priced flattop in the Harmony catalog . And yeah, I am underwater on this one having had to not only have the neck reset but compression frets added to deal with a severely cupped neck. Never regretted it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion