The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Eastman E8D

As some of you may have read, I recently purchased a used E8D via Reverb, which turned out to be damaged and not in the condition described. *I returned that guitar, and as I waited (technically, still waiting) for the refund to hit my credit card, I decided to order up a new E8D from LA Guitar Sales.

In the website photos, I noticed it didn't have a pickguard. *When it arrived, the COA's 2016 date confirmed my suspicion that it was made prior to Eastman pre-installing the new guards (early 2018). *Strangely, there was no guard in the case either, but this is ok because I already have a new one being made by Holter Pickguards.

Ted described the sound as resonant with powerful lows and clean highs, and that's an accurate description. *I'm not sure if aging for nearly three years has had an effect, but the top is dynamic with incredible volume and good sustain. *It feels like a light build, and I don't think I've owned a Sitka top with this kind of horsepower. *The top feels really stiff and rigid (in the best way possible).

Aesthetically, the rosewood b/s are really nice, and like most Eastman guitars, the neck is gorgeous, although it's slightly more shallow than my other guitars. *The ebony bridge and board are solid black (no streaking that I see).

Now, the top has got some interesting things going on. *First, the grain has some bend to it. *Moving from the lower to upper bout, the grain has a slight outward arc, but then comes back in again. *It's bookmarked and symmetrical (and the grain is fairly straight at the seam, as well as the outer edges), but I've not owned a wavy pattern quite like it before.

In the upper bout, there's a sheen, which changes in appearance, depending on the angle. *But it seems to be some heavy silking with more sporadic silking throughout the rest of the body. *There are also some faint bearclaw marks throughout the top, but not in a distracting way. *In other words, this top has some character, and I think the wavy grain will become less noticeable as the color continues to darken. *Hopefully, the photos capture some of this guitar's unique character.

I've been giving it quite a workout for the last 24 hours, and it's responding very well, opening up nicely for me. *I'm not sure what strings are on it, but they don't feel like EXPs. *I'll probably leave them on until my new pickguard arrives. *Intonation and action seem perfect, so I didn't run it up to my luthier for his review, yet (maybe after the new guard and strings).

This is my fourth attempt at owning an E8D. *Previously, I talked myself into an E40D and E10SS/v (no regrets with either of those decisions), and then there was the damaged E8D from last week. *It was a longer path than expected, but it seems to have been worth the wait.

Obligatory NGD photos --- it was rainy today, so I may replace them with some better lighting next week:

Old 02-02-2019, 12:45 AM

That appears to be quite a nice guitar, hope it was worth the wait.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Ten! It was definitely worth the wait.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

That's a cool looking top, Brian! Tonally, how does it compare to your two 40D's?
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

IMO dreads are the cream of the Eastman crop....
Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Congratulations on getting a good one! I have an E20D BTW.
I would love to check out your guitar collection in that photo!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Congrats PV! Glad you were able to find one that works! I can imagine just how big, bold and powerful it must sound! I hope you enjoy it for many days to come, and that your refund on the “other” hits soon!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Have you tried a 00?
You might change your mind.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 AM

Yeah, nice practice space. I like the binding and overall look. What's the difference between this and their other Rosewood dread, is it the E20D?
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Very nice. And that Holter p/g will class it up even further!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Congratulation on the new guitar. It's beautiful.
But what I want to know is where did you banish that semi hollow 335 style electric to make room for the new acoustic? Bahahaha
Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

That is a pretty paltry collection of Eastmans you have there. If it ain't a dozen, then you probably shouldn't post any pictures.

I LOVE my E8D. The top is really darkening nicely and it has a ton of silking in it. Sounds incredible. I keep trying to 'upgrade' from the E8D to something higher end, and I keep end up keeping the Eastie…

Pura Vida!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Yeah, nice practice space. I like the binding and overall look. What's the difference between this and their other Rosewood dread, is it the E20D?
Top woods...the E20 has adirondack, the E8 has sitka
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
That's a cool looking top, Brian! Tonally, how does it compare to your two 40D's?
Thanks, Keith. They're completely different instruments. The "40s" are more complex, and the Adirondack top handles my heavy strumming much differently than this Sitka top. And even both "40s" are different... the 2016 has a much more open sound, heavy with overtones, while the 2017 is more focused and has more drive on the low end.

Acoustic guitars can be so unique and different, and that's why I find so much appreciation for the variety of builds, styles, and sounds that are being made, especially from a highly handmade company like Eastman.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks, and I agree! They made some wonderful dreads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Congratulations on getting a good one! I have an E20D BTW.
I would love to check out your guitar collection in that photo!
Thank you! My E20D is in the last photo with the Tonerite attached to it. It's about 15mos. old, and it's a cannon. When I get my new guard for the E8D, I'm actually replacing the tortex guard on the E20D, as well --- it's good, but Taylor Mullins' guards are so much nicer, and I wanted something special for the E20D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion