The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

I have finally come around to reading the ToneDexter threads and am very interested in buying one.

I play only nylon string guitar. Has anyone tried a TD with a nylon string guitar? I get the strong impression that everyone on the TD threads is a steel string player. OK, I only read about half of the 318 posts on the long TD thread from last April. Maybe I missed a nylon string player's comments.

In one of these ToneDexter threads I read a comment that someone had tried training the TD on one guitar and that then using the saved result with another guitar worked well. For the longest time I have wished that there was something (I always imagined maybe one of the guitar synthesizers) that I could use to make my Parker nylon Fly sound like a classical guitar. Now I wonder if it might be possible to train the TD using a classical guitar and then use the result with the Parker nylon Fly to get a classical guitar sound? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I have finally come around to reading the ToneDexter threads and am very interested in buying one.

I play only nylon string guitar. Has anyone tried a TD with a nylon string guitar? I get the strong impression that everyone on the TD threads is a steel string player. OK, I only read about half of the 318 posts on the long TD thread from last April. Maybe I missed a nylon string player's comments.

In one of these ToneDexter threads I read a comment that someone had tried training the TD on one guitar and that then using the saved result with another guitar worked well. For the longest time I have wished that there was something (I always imagined maybe one of the guitar synthesizers) that I could use to make my Parker nylon Fly sound like a classical guitar. Now I wonder if it might be possible to train the TD using a classical guitar and then use the result with the Parker nylon Fly to get a classical guitar sound? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The live-demo I had about a month ago with James May included using the TD with classical guitar, and then we also used the wave map from that guitar on a Yamaha Silent Guitar...it delivered the same sound, as amplified.

I think this answers your question(s).
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-03-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
In one of these ToneDexter threads I read a comment that someone had tried training the TD on one guitar and that then using the saved result with another guitar worked well.
The nylon string training and demo begins at almost exactly 4 minutes in...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Larry & Phil! I'm in.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

It seems you've been pointed to the right info. I would add that Stevie Coyle of Mighty Fine Guitars (one of our dealers) is routinely performing with his steel string Parker Fly using a WaveMap that was created with one of his very nice acoustic instruments. This trick is most successful with typical under saddle pickups.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
It seems you've been pointed to the right info. I would add that Stevie Coyle of Mighty Fine Guitars (one of our dealers) is routinely performing with his steel string Parker Fly using a WaveMap that was created with one of his very nice acoustic instruments. This trick is most successful with typical under saddle pickups.
I can recall when the Fishman folks absolutely hated to hear the M word ("modeling") applied to their Aura technology. They took pains to explain the differences between modeling and Aura "sound imaging". It took them years to accept that the technology could also be used for modeling and develop Aura IC (for image casting) to make slender hybrid guitars sound like full-bodied acoustics.

Congratulations to you Audio Sprockets folks for being very quick to discover and demonstrate ToneDexter's modeling potential.

BTW, I'm finding that I like ToneDexter's low character setting for some gigging applications. Congrats to Audio Sprockets for finding a way to provide a more focused signal without having to blend some of the dry signal quack back into my guitar sound.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I've heard Stevie's Parker Fly set up with the TD, trained with a Lowden. The amount of "woodiness" in the sound coming from that guitar is amazing.

I'm such a believer in this unit. It's working great for me in a variety of gig situations. I want to stress that I'm an "analogue person." I love LPs, tubes, The whole 9 yards. But the TD is truly revolutionary.

Jenn
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 PM

Can I use my Martin D-35 wavemap with my PRS piezo out? I assume it’s the same thing.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Can I use my Martin D-35 wavemap with my PRS piezo out? I assume it’s the same thing.
Its certainly worth a try. When it comes to modeling, its safe to conclude that some "mix and match" combinations of WaveMaps and modeling platform guitar/pickup rigs will work better than others.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Reading through this thread and watching all the You Tube videos the Tone Dexter seems like a DIY kind of Fishman Aura system - combining the mic'd attributes of the guitar with the real-time playing to push that blended signal to the PA or record desk. The Tone Dexter allows you to choose the mic's you use, unlike the long list of pre-imaged mic's with the Fishman Aura Gallery - but the net effect seems to be the same - very much improved, organic mic'd acoustic guitar tone to the front of house in a live situation and as another track source
Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
Reading through this thread and watching all the You Tube videos the Tone Dexter seems like a DIY kind of Fishman Aura system - combining the mic'd attributes of the guitar with the real-time playing to push that blended signal to the PA or record desk. The Tone Dexter allows you to choose the mic's you use, unlike the long list of pre-imaged mic's with the Fishman Aura Gallery - but the net effect seems to be the same - very much improved, organic mic'd acoustic guitar tone to the front of house in a live situation and as another track source
Creating WaveMaps for one's personal instruments is the equivalent of being able to acquire custom Aura sound images for one's personal instruments - at a much lower cost and with no need to ship your instruments to Fishman. Aside from the lower cost, two other advantages of ToneDexter are that its very compatible with soundboard transducers (Aura is only recommended for use with undersaddle transducers) and that ToneDexter's way of achieving a drier, more focused signal doesn't involve blending a quacky UST signal with the processed signal.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Creating WaveMaps for one's personal instruments is the equivalent of being able to acquire custom Aura sound images for one's personal instruments - at a much lower cost and with no need to ship your instruments to Fishman. Aside from the lower cost, two other advantages of ToneDexter are that its very compatible with soundboard transducers (Aura is only recommended for use with undersaddle transducers) and that ToneDexter's way of achieving a drier, more focused signal doesn't involve blending a quacky UST signal with the processed signal.
Great definition. Note that Tonedexter way of achieving a drier signal (character button - min phase IR) is super efficient with K&K or Lyric where I think blending is useless. On the opposite, blending for UST is definetly something that works.

My 2 cents, based on my own experience making IRs.
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Through watching reviews of the Godin nylon grand concert duet ambiance, I have been considering saving up for one. The modelled tones are beautiful. I was wondering if similar results could be obtained by using the Tonedexter in combination with a different Godin nylon-string multiac that doesn't have the Fishman electronics. It would be nice to have a synth-access nylon-string Godin, but to also be able to use the TD to get a more realistic natural mic'd sound as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 PM

I have a Composite Acoustics GX that I ordered with the Fishman Aura, but the ToneDexter really intrigues me for other guitars. In particular, a 1937 Gibson L-7 I just acquired. I don't want to make any mods to it.

A Pickup the World Archtop pickup would go under the existing bridge, and seems like it might work well with the ToneDexter. The PUTW site says it's a "compression type" pickup--would that be more like a UST or a SBT? Either way, it ought to work with the TD, right?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Great definition. Note that Tonedexter way of achieving a drier signal (character button - min phase IR) is super efficient with K&K or Lyric where I think blending is useless. On the opposite, blending for UST is definetly something that works.

My 2 cents, based on my own experience making IRs.
Cuki
I agree that blending in dry UST signal works decently well with Aura, but it definitely doesn't eliminate the quack in the dry portion of the signal. I did many recording experiments while owning the Aura Spectrum and the results were either too ambient sounding for my taste or somewhat quacky (with hard strumming) due to the dry UST signal in the blend.

On the other hand, ToneDexter is satisfying my home recording needs right off the bat. I trained a WaveMap for my cheapo Samick OM yesterday. I used a cheap omni-directional condenser mic (Behringer ECM8000) to train, and the impromtu sound samples which I recorded are quite pleasing to me (in sound quality, at least).

The samples include some pretty aggressive strumming, with zero "quack" (by my definition) resulting.

https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/ton...s-bare-fingers
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification