The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2015, 02:37 PM

I have a Rainsong WS-1000 and my wife has a CA Cargo. We like both of them a LOT - to the point where if the house caught fire, I would grab the two CF guitars on my way out the door, leaving several Martin's and Taylor's to take their chances. Wood guitars are great too - a dozen of them live here along side the CF guitars. But forced to choose I would go with CF. Positive factors include excellent playability, good tuning stability, very nice (but different) tone, and almost zero maintenance. My WS-1000 with the Fishman blender UST and on-board mic combo is the best sounding stage guitar that I own. I was blown away the first time I heard it through good stage monitors. The mic part helps make up for the shortcomings of the UST.

We are about six hours drvie time away from McNichols in SLC. Next time we get the urge for a road trip, I plan to head there and try every CF guitar in stock.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:54 AM

For me, the main advantage for carbon fiber is definitely the resistance to climate changes. I have a Rainsong parlor, I love that I can leave it out all the time(currently fighting in NJ to keep humidity above 35%), I actually play it more than my 000-18, which I keep in the case all the time when not playing it. Its amazing what a barrier being in a case is for playing a guitar. I also have two small kids, I don't worry when they come over and bang on the parlor.
That being said, I think my 000-18 sounds better than the parlor(or any carbon fiber that I've tried, I've tried quite a few). I don't mean that to be insulting to carbon fiber, I just personally prefer the sound from wood guitars. If I didn't have to worry about climate changes with my 000-18 then I would have my dream guitar.
I definitely recommend you have a carbon fiber in your stable.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the X20. I ordered it in 2013 without ever touching one before and am glad I did. I believe MacNichol's may have one still in stock without electronics if you want to go that route. I like it better than most Martin, Taylor and Gibson's that I have played for what it's worth.

I love my X20 so much I now also have a Blackbird Lucky 13. It's also a great guitar, and between these two I rarely play anything else. They both have their distinctive sound, but I don't think you could pick either from a group of good wood guitars in a blind test. The X20 is my go to guitar for any occasion. I love the Lucky 13 too. It reminds me of a great sounding 1930's or 40's Gibson small body guitar.

Lots of choices. If you find one you like that's not for sale, there is a lot of consistency in the models so you don't have to worry about getting a mail ordered dud like in wood guitars. Have fun and try all you can, but definitely look at the Rainsong mentioned earlier, the X20 and the Lucky 13 before deciding.

I am on the other side of the country, so I am probably not convenient for your testing. You are still welcome to visit with my guitars if you are close.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 AM

I just bought a used CA Cargo with electronics on this forum without ever playing one based on all the threads and comments and I'm truly impressed. I wanted a guitar that I could take camping on longer trips without having to worry about the heat or cold, rain or humidity. Wow, does it play nicely, beyond what I expected. Never had played one before, so I was really out on the edge here... I play mostly electric in my band, but play alot of acoustic at home, and was also surprised at the smooth action this guitar gives - similar to my strat. I'm sold!

Anyone know how to find out the date of manufacture with the serial number? I now it's pretty new and has good electronics in it. I played it through my Fishman Artist amp, sounds great!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 AM

So this is what I get for waiting too long. MacNichol is closing. No more Emeralds there. Anyone know who else stocks Emeralds? And do they come with a hard case? I'd hate to have to wait a few months with a direct order
Old 03-28-2015, 12:41 PM

You could try the fretted frog in LA. I have seen them there in the past.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
So this is what I get for waiting too long. MacNichol is closing. No more Emeralds there. Anyone know who else stocks Emeralds? And do they come with a hard case? I'd hate to have to wait a few months with a direct order
The Opus series comes with a gig bag.
The Artisan series comes with a nice case.

Cost to delete the gig bag and get the case is $220, which seems really excessive to me.

The Fretted Frog in Pasadena usually has one or two X-20s in stock. Nobody seems to stock 12-strings if that's your thing.

Also Alister has an X-20 short scale (in bronze) in stock for immediate purchase.

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/instoc...s-short-scale/

Kind of tempting actually...

Also A1A guitars in Florida has an X20 (black) with hard case in stock (listed on reverb)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Here's a Rainsong dread in the AGF classifieds

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=380470

No affiliation....
Old 03-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Take a look at CA Legacy Performer. Sounds very Martinesque.

goufous
Collings UT1 Tenor Ukulele
Eastman 305 Mandolin
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Thomason Mountain Dulcimer
Deering Eagle ii Banjo
Homemade Wash Tub Bass
O'Riordon Tin whistle (Traveler Set)
Hammered Dulcimer by Jim Hudson
Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
FYI Alistar has a dealer listing on their site listing all six of their dealers. Not all are still selling Emerald but you can contact each one to see what they have.

So, what made you decide on an Emerald, and which one are you going with?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The Opus series comes with a gig bag.
The Artisan series comes with a nice case.

Cost to delete the gig bag and get the case is $220, which seems really excessive to me.

The Fretted Frog in Pasadena usually has one or two X-20s in stock. Nobody seems to stock 12-strings if that's your thing.

Also Alister has an X-20 short scale (in bronze) in stock for immediate purchase.

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/instoc...s-short-scale/

Kind of tempting actually...

Also A1A guitars in Florida has an X20 (black) with hard case in stock (listed on reverb)
Wow thanks, mang That's exactly the one I'd like to get but it says "built-in electronics". Curious. I'll have to inquire about that.

If it has electronics then I'll have to bite the bullet & order one from The Man himself. I can do without the hard case. A big bag's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
FYI Alistar has a dealer listing on their site listing all six of their dealers. Not all are still selling Emerald but you can contact each one to see what they have.

So, what made you decide on an Emerald, and which one are you going with?
Thanks. I looked on there earlier. They don't have the X20 in stock. I think there was one but it was a shorter scale and it was the amber finish which I'm not a big fan of...and it had electronics. I don't want any electronics.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play any carbon fiber acoustic yet. I'm going with the Emerald X20 because I like how it sounds on some of the videos I've seen, most notably the ones where the Japanese woman is playing. Other CFs I've heard sound too bright or thin for my liking. The X20 (with no electronics) is also cheaper than the others I've looked at and I like the unique looks of it

Edit: Curses! I can see a control area on the side of the guitar. Oh well. Someone should buy that though. It seems like a good deal and it has a hard case.

Last edited by Herrick; 03-28-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 PM

Be advised that if you want an electronics free version because you plan to install a K&K later then you should let Alister know. If so he will take extra time to make certain that there is a nice flat spot for the instal.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM

My two of course, sound very different from each other. Acoustically, the Rainsong is just bell like. Very, very clear. The CA is warmer but still full. Both have stupendous sustain.

Gonna redo a new saddle on my 12er and see if I can get the Fishman Prefix to sound good with it. Use a Fishman Blackstack with my CA. Dig em' both! Tough and very tune stable.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
<snip>
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play any carbon fiber acoustic yet. I'm going with the Emerald X20 because I like how it sounds on some of the videos I've seen, most notably the ones where the Japanese woman is playing. Other CFs I've heard sound too bright or thin for my liking. <snip>
Less youre planning to listen to the guitar through computer speakers I would suggest playing some of these before placing an order from an over seas dealer. I've yet to play an Emerald that didn't sound thin, and they are not known for good sustain. Not sure how Emerald handles returns but shipping a guitar back and forth from Ireland can't be cheap, and I doubt you will get the customs fees back if you send it back. If youre set on an Emerald than I suggest ordering one from a US dealer first to see if you like it before commiting to a custom order.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I've owned several Rainsongs and currently own a Rainsong hybrid dread. They're wonderful guitars, and for me, the H-DR1100N2 is particularly wonderful. I believe it's the only Rainsong that's widely produced and sold without electronics, although as others have noted, any Rainsong can be purchased without bar door electronics....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber