The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Question Any Thoughts On The Godin Doyle Dykes?

Not sure if its classed as an acoustic guitar really, anyone own or tried one, any thoughts?
Rob(uk)😁
Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Not sure if its classed as an acoustic guitar really, anyone own or tried one, any thoughts?
Rob(uk)��
I've never heard of one. Is this a signature model?

Okay, I just looked it up. It's $500.0 USD more than the regular Multiac. Most signature guitars carry a premium price with few if any differences except the player's name on it or in the model number. I will leave it at that.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 PM

There is a music store here in my city that sells high end Taylors, Martins and they are also a licensed Godin dealer. Maybe I'll go see if they have one hanging up to try out. This shop doesn't care if you try out any of their stuff. I have tried out guitars there worth more than some some Hyundai's.

Here's a short demo of it. It's not something that interests me though.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I've never heard of one. Is this a signature model?

Okay, I just looked it up. It's $500.0 USD more than the regular Multiac. Most signature guitars carry a premium price with few if any differences except the player's name on it or in the model number. I will leave it at that.
That is sometimes the case, but not this model. If you review the specs, you'll see a completely different set of pickups from LR Baggs (yes 2). It also has the session DI electronics built in and you can blend the pickups and a couple other things. It's an impressive system. This signature model does not have a slotted headstock while others do to accommodate Doyle's preferences and to enable his behind the nut string bends. It's not just a label: it is his specs and he worked wth Robert Godin and Lloyd Baggs on several prototypes.

To the OP: try one. It is a nice guitar and definitely different than other multiacs.

Doyle also uses his signature GHS PB acoustic custom lights on his.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Robkay,

You might find this video explaining the pickups and pre-amp informative. I forgot to post this earlier.

https://youtu.be/Efk1iBamNVY

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

HI Robkay,

Did you try one? What did you think?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
There is a music store here in my city that sells high end Taylors, Martins and they are also a licensed Godin dealer. Maybe I'll go see if they have one hanging up to try out. This shop doesn't care if you try out any of their stuff. I have tried out guitars there worth more than some some Hyundai's.

Here's a short demo of it. It's not something that interests me though.

I like this style

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 AM

Thumbs up

Not been able to try one of these guitars yet, they are not that common here in the uk......🤔
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I play a Godin A6 Ultra on gigs, a similar instrument to the DD at about half the price. The main distinction I see is that mine has a UST that can be blended with a magnetic pickup while the DD blends the UST with a mic. I have not played the DD but like mine it is meant to be played plugged in and therefore won’t sound like much unplugged. My A6 is a fantastic gigging instrument that I wish I had years ago. If the price tag of the DD frightens you, as it would me, I encourage you to explore the A6. However, I am sure if you decide on the Doyle Dykes, you won’t be disappointed.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Not been able to try one of these guitars yet, they are not that common here in the uk......🤔
Hopefully you can. I'm pretty impressed with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion