The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats PV! Glad you were able to find one that works! I can imagine just how big, bold and powerful it must sound! I hope you enjoy it for many days to come, and that your refund on the “other” hits soon!
Thanks, Matt. Before I ordered the E8D, I checked to see of any of those AC dreads were still available. You got an incredible deal on that one, my friend. But I'm mostly a Rosewood guy, so it worked out well. Appreciate the kind words!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Yeah, nice practice space. I like the binding and overall look. What's the difference between this and their other Rosewood dread, is it the E20D?
Thank you. We have an open loft room, and it was originally supposed to be a play room for my kids. When they stopped using it, I turned it into a music room... redefining the term, "play room."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Very nice. And that Holter p/g will class it up even further!
Taylor Mullins has made several guards for me, and his work is exceptional. I highly recommend Holter Pickguards.

Last edited by Pura Vida; 02-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Congratulation on the new guitar. It's beautiful.
But what I want to know is where did you banish that semi hollow 335 style electric to make room for the new acoustic? Bahahaha
Ahh, you're very observant! My T185MX normally sits on the single Hercules stand. If you look in the background of the photos above, you'll see that I temporarily placed it into the acoustic racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
That is a pretty paltry collection of Eastmans you have there. If it ain't a dozen, then you probably shouldn't post any pictures.

I LOVE my E8D. The top is really darkening nicely and it has a ton of silking in it. Sounds incredible. I keep trying to 'upgrade' from the E8D to something higher end, and I keep end up keeping the Eastie…

Pura Vida!
Hey, Pete! I guess I need one more... maybe one of the LP style solid body electrics. I'm glad that you're loving your E8D, and I think this one is going to stick around for quite a while. It actually been a wild journey, as I've sold off guitars from other brands and replaced them with new/used Eastman guitars over the last couple of years.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Very nice! Now all you need is an E20SS to complete the Eastman Rosewood dread line.

Don't mind my enabling.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Ha! Enable away... I have big hands, so the smaller nut width is an adjustment. My hands stumble a little bit with the E10SS/v, but I force myself to adapt b/c the vibe on that guitar is just so good. I'm sure it's the same on your E20SS.

Also, Ted still has a couple of the limited run E15SS in stock. They ran a flash sale on them for $999 a while back, and I nearly made the call. Technically, they're 00, but a little bigger (based on the Gibson LG2/B25 body style).
Old 02-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Congrats on a nice guitar. I’d love to try one these with the Sitka top. I really liked the E20D I tried, but Sitka usually works better with my playing style. That’s a nice collection of Eastmans there.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Ha! Enable away... I have big hands, so the smaller nut width is an adjustment. My hands stumble a little bit with the E10SS/v, but I force myself to adapt b/c the vibe on that guitar is just so good. I'm sure it's the same on your E20SS.

Also, Ted still has a couple of the limited run E15SS in stock. They ran a flash sale on them for $999 a while back, and I nearly made the call. Technically, they're 00, but a little bigger (based on the Gibson LG2/B25 body style).
I have smaller hands so it's the opposite for me and the sound, I just shake my head in amazement every time. I tried the E10OOss/v that blew me away. Nice comfortable size too. But I like more bass so I decided against it for now. I really like the look of the varnish series too.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Wow, plenty of saddle on that baby!
Looks like a nice room to play guitars too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks, Keith. They're completely different instruments. The "40s" are more complex, and the Adirondack top handles my heavy strumming much differently than this Sitka top. And even both "40s" are different... the 2016 has a much more open sound, heavy with overtones, while the 2017 is more focused and has more drive on the low end.

Acoustic guitars can be so unique and different, and that's why I find so much appreciation for the variety of builds, styles, and sounds that are being made, especially from a highly handmade company like Eastman.
And I forgot about your 20D! I still miss my old 20D. If only it had a wider nut, I'd still have it.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Congrats on a nice guitar. I’d love to try one these with the Sitka top. I really liked the E20D I tried, but Sitka usually works better with my playing style. That’s a nice collection of Eastmans there.
Thanks, Russ. I'm not sure if any Eastman dealers in MS carry it, but I know that The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO has one. They're awesome and one of Eastman's biggest dealers, and I would have bought that one from them, except I didn't want to risk shipping it during the polar vortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Wow, plenty of saddle on that baby!
Looks like a nice room to play guitars too.
Thanks, Bruce! It's a nice size loft room. There's a sectional sofa for playing or watching TV, plus some exercise equipment (which is desperately seeking my attention). Since it's open, the only thing it's not great for is recording.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
And I forgot about your 20D! I still miss my old 20D. If only it had a wider nut, I'd still have it.
The E8D reminds me of my E20 a little bit --- super responsive and loud right from the start. And the E20D has a different voice than either of the "40s" --- still scooped, but less dramatic overtones, which provides a nice break from those two monsters. Could be a factor of the difference in materials used or who tap tuned the top... in 2017, an Eastman rep told me that one guy tapped all the "40" tops, which is why they only made a handful of them in the beginning.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Something wasn't right with the strings --- maybe they were the original strings from 2016 and had gotten a little oxidized, so I changed them out. Also, a couple of the open gear tuners are stiff, possibly for the same reason, so I'm going to see what I can do to get them moving more freely.

Edit: I'm reading that lubricating them shouldn't be necessary, so I'll try turning them during the next string change.

Last edited by Pura Vida; 02-03-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 AM

Wink Very Nice Photography

I also have and love my E8D. I agree with those who say it is different but equal to a Martin HD-28.

However, what I really wanted to comment on is your photography. Many people insist on using a flash which I think often makes the foreground look overexposed and the background too dark. Your photos of your E8D look very professional like a magazine. Nice job!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, campacj! They're all take with my iPhone, but I'm mindful of the light and positioning, so a flash is unnecessary. This guitar has darkened a little more, and of course, I've added a custom guard from Holter Pickguards. Maybe I'll add an updated photo or two, since this thread got bumped.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion