The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

That was super cool Roy! Loved it. I agree that your goal of having two distinctly different voiced guitars was achieved.

A great point was made about the order of listening. I tend to prefer the Martin sound and your D41 has that classic voice through and through. Exceptional guitar!

The Taylor in contract sounds more lean and bright (as expected). but I also know the notes sustain and ring with great clarity.

Thanks for sharing. I am happy to listen anytime my friend! Really nice strumming!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 PM

Used to own a Taylor 710 non-electric. Nice guitar

That new Re D-41 is very nice
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 PM

A Martin, especially a D-41 is the clear winner for strumming over Taylor's GA guitars. Taylor's X-braced GA guitars were already lacking low end. I find the Taylor V-braced GA guitars lack even more. At least the ones I've played anyways. Not trying to hate on Taylor, they're fine instruments, just not for me.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Roy - I enjoyed the comparison very much. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Very different guitars, with very different tonality. I can see why these are the two you landed on. Each is an excellent example of their respective build, shape, and brand.

Well done!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Roy - I enjoyed the comparison very much. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Very different guitars, with very different tonality. I can see why these are the two you landed on. Each is an excellent example of their respective build, shape, and brand.

Well done!
Well said......where is the like button
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Agreed!..... Another like here as well!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I must have missed the lack of "common sense" and "genuine objectivity".

Was it Martin: warm - Taylor: cold comment? What was said that denigrated a brand? I just get his opinion from that.

In fact, I didn't notice the OP injecting "balance and intelligence", he just made a nice clip of two guitars.

I think what you're trying to point out can and does happen, but I didn't see it here. I think there needs to be less being offended.
Choice of words matters. If one said "warm vs crisp", for example, there are no negative connotations with either and it's a matter of personal choice. Contrawise, If I described the Taylor as 'clear' and the Martin as 'muddy', the connotation is negative for the Martin.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Choice of words matters. If one said "warm vs crisp", for example, there are no negative connotations with either and it's a matter of personal choice. Contrawise, If I described the Taylor as 'clear' and the Martin as 'muddy', the connotation is negative for the Martin.
But that isn’t quite what I was referencing, I was responding to a post decrying a “lack of common sense and genuine objectivity”. Had the words “negative connotation” been the wording, there would have been no need for a reply.

On a guitar forum there can’t be an honest dialog if “negative connotations” are your baseline for restricting speech or disparaging the party expressing those sentiments. And if “negative connotations” are banned it’s pretty much over.

We need to be a lot less sensitive to merely the words we read. The same things in conversation, with visual cues available, would be perfectly acceptable. That needs to be factored in before assuming the worst, IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

This doesn't have anything to do with the comparison, as with both guitars, it's the same, but as far as the way both guitars sound on this particular recording, it's worth nothing that Rev Roy has his arm resting on the top of the guitars. His elbow is actually resting on the top. And... this pushes the strumming hand further toward the neck, meaning that it appears that the strum is on the neckward part of the soundhole. A guitar's sound is different strummed there versus center or a bit toward the bridge from center of soundhole. Isn't it also that with the arm resting on the top deadens the sound somewhat? As for where in the soundhole, some people might like a strum toward the neck; I prefer the sound a bit toward the bridge.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with the comparison, as with both guitars, it's the same, but as far as the way both guitars sound on this particular recording, it's worth nothing that Rev Roy has his arm resting on the top of the guitars. His elbow is actually resting on the top. And... this pushes the strumming hand further toward the neck, meaning that it appears that the strum is on the neckward part of the soundhole. A guitar's sound is different strummed there versus center or a bit toward the bridge from center of soundhole. Isn't it also that with the arm resting on the top deadens the sound somewhat? As for where in the soundhole, some people might like a strum toward the neck; I prefer the sound a bit toward the bridge.
“Appears” is the operative word there. I think what you are seeing is an illusion caused by the angle of the guitar in relation to the camera. I do, however, hit those last Em strums up close to the fretboard deliberately. It gives me the fat/bassy climax that I want in that progression...as opposed to the thin/bright tone I’d get close to the bridge. My attack shifts song to song (and often mid-song) depending on the tone I want...

As for my arm resting on the guitar...mega culpa. Works for me and I suspect any effect on tone is minimal.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
That was super cool Roy! Loved it. I agree that your goal of having two distinctly different voiced guitars was achieved.

A great point was made about the order of listening. I tend to prefer the Martin sound and your D41 has that classic voice through and through. Exceptional guitar!

The Taylor in contract sounds more lean and bright (as expected). but I also know the notes sustain and ring with great clarity.

Thanks for sharing. I am happy to listen anytime my friend! Really nice strumming!
Kind words from the superstar of AGF shootouts. Much appreciated, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post

Well done!
Yep...you get it. Some folks are taking my little strum fest a bit too seriously, diving into deep critique. Me? I’ve got nothing negative to say about either guitar. I wouldn’t own ‘em if I didn’t love ‘em. Besides, any sour notes you hear are clearly operator error.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
But that isn’t quite what I was referencing, I was responding to a post decrying a “lack of common sense and genuine objectivity”. Had the words “negative connotation” been the wording, there would have been no need for a reply.

On a guitar forum there can’t be an honest dialog if “negative connotations” are your baseline for restricting speech or disparaging the party expressing those sentiments. And if “negative connotations” are banned it’s pretty much over.

We need to be a lot less sensitive to merely the words we read. The same things in conversation, with visual cues available, would be perfectly acceptable. That needs to be factored in before assuming the worst, IMO.
Agreed. Could never understand why someone not liking a brand you liked is offensive...even if they used negative connotations. I enjoy hearing why someone doesn't hear what I hear and why they don't care for it. Makes me a little more open-minded and available to others' opinions. Hey, it's just guitars we're talking about here!
I liked the comparison, but preferred the Martin by a large margin! No offense, my Taylor friends.
scott
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I'll take the 41 please.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Both sound fine to me... I'd never care one way or the or the other which one you were playing as long as the playing was good.

I'd never be able to guess what the guitar is either if I was listening to a track you made and didn't know what the guitar was.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM

I also have a D41 and a few Taylors. The D41 is an amzing guitar, but so are all my Taylors, which get plenty of my attention. When I get ready to go somewhere to play, I just choose the flavor for that day. You have two very nice guitars there! Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion