The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2021, 09:49 AM

As is the case in almost anything regarding luthiery there is more then one way to skin the cat and often times some methods are better suited to certain conditions then others.

I use steam and most likely will continue to do so becasue it works well for me. But for something like a Guild joint I could definitely see the benefit of using those foam cutters.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchtopLover View Post
Overall, my argument is this: steam is NOT the issue here, it is the high pressure, created by the steaming process, which forces hot water into places in the guitar body that you do not want to get wet, which may be under stresses that may be released, for which you have no control over. Yeah, it will dry out over time, but why take the risk if there is a better way to perform this task?

By using electricity, and gently warming the neck, and, by adding a controlled amount of water, which is still necessary, you are in greater control of the procedure, and have reduced some of the risk of unnecessary damage that has to then be repaired.

Also, one other very important reason I believe the electric hot stick, technique is superior to steaming the neck joint: you do not absolutely have to "hit the dovetail joint air pocket" with your drill bit when you drill an access hole through the fret slot, as you must do when you are steaming a neck. When using the electric heat stick method, it is actually better that you drill through solid wood, so that the heat is transferred into the surrounding wood. By adding a few drops of water, the efficiency of heat transfer is increased, and some moisture does help loosen old glue.

Having hot, high pressure steam blowing out of holes, dripping gooey, dark stained water all over my work bench, having to have towels ready to mop up the awful mess, repairing damaged and blushed lacquer, no thanks, no more of that mess
I use an old pressure cooker that is vented to the atmosphere. There is very little pressure and the steam comes out very slowly with very little excess moisture. With a very small tube to feed the steam into one of two small holes, the glue will loosen up very quickly. Once removed, the neck parts dry out very quickly. Steam is an excellent medium for heat.

I would never, ever drill a hole into the dovetail. I always find the pockets on either side. It's generally a very quick and clean maneuver.

Sorry about your poor experiences with steam. Keep smiling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair