The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Default 8 string ukulele

What are some well-regarded makers of 8 string tenor ukuleles? Preferably under $1,000.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelorox View Post
What are some well-regarded makers of 8 string tenor ukuleles? Preferably under $1,000.
The problem for me is I've seen 5 and 8 string Kamakas used for $1,500 to 1,800. I can't spend $1000 when $500 more gets a Kamaka. Which is why I have a $200 lanakai 5 string. If I feel I deserve it, I'll splurge on a $1,500 used really nice one.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:27 PM

If you are serious about uke then only a Kamaka or Kanile'a 8 string will do, and old Kamakas can be found around the $600 mark. I have a white label 6 string possibly from the 70s and I love it. If you want to have a new budget uke then best bet is a Pono:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-...ht-string.html
Old 07-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelorox View Post
The better players in our community uke group use Kala or Ohana instruments; the former used to make an all-solid acacia 8-string tenor that's getting a little hard to find since they've been discontinued - here's a dealer who still has stock but I'd move quickly:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/KA...le-P12742.aspx
Old 07-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
If you are serious about uke then only a Kamaka or Kanile'a 8 string will do, and old Kamakas can be found around the $600 mark. I have a white label 6 string possibly from the 70s and I love it. If you want to have a new budget uke then best bet is a Pono:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-...ht-string.html
I generally avoid buying used ever since having a bad experience with a used guitar that came in absolutely reeking of mold. So the idea of buying a Kamaka from the 70s or 80s is not appealing. But Kanile'a looks quite nice.

What's the difference between a $500 vs $1500 uke? I've never been to stores with the latter so have not had a chance to play for myself. And given the pandemic probably will not get a chance to explore stores any time soon. Though I am very familiar with the difference between a $500 and $1500 guitar. It always intrigued me that ukes seem to have similar prices to guitars despite being smaller, but I guess most of the cost is the workmanship involved.

Last edited by Axelorox; 07-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:01 PM

The majority of $500 ukes are mass produced in Asia and while they are often "nice" they are also fairly generic and their differences are superficial. When I go to a uke store and compare Kala vs Ohana vs Pono they are quite similar. On the other hand the $1500 ukes are produced by family owned businesses of people that also play and love uke. They are just better. I have toured all Hawaiian uke factories, some of them more than once, and though they are very different from each other they share a deep passion for their product. In their showrooms I compared the Hawaiian to their budget line models and the differences are very tangible. Though if the difference is worth the much higher price is of course another matter.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:55 AM

I have an all-koa Pono eight string that is very nice. Not sure if they still make them - had mine for about five years now. The Pono sees relatively little play compared to my four-string ukes, in the same way that my twelve string guitar gets less play time than my six strings. My primary ukulele these days is a $1500 Blackbird composite Farallon but it is not available in eight-string.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Default 8 string ukulele

Thought I would check in on your question about 8 string ukuleles.

I live in Hawaii and play guitar semi-professionally and ukulele professionally.
So my input is from both a players and entertainers perspective.

Buying and playing an 8 string is a great idea: It primarily has more volume, but offers a bit extra as several of the strings are in octaves, hence the ear hears the highs and lows (trebles and basses)
This is an excellent advantage over 4, or even 6 string ukes.

Some people think they can't properly finger the chords, but not so.

As with all ukuleles, the less expensive ones are 'lacking'.
My suggestion is to get one of the 'K's' - Kanilea, Kamaka, Ko'olau or Koaloha.
Yes, there are some great higher end 'boutique' ukes out there, but as with any musical instrument, you have to play it and hear it to determine if it is worth the added funds.
Lower end ukes - Lanikai, Kala, etc seem to be 'missing something' in tone. Not all, but most. The main reason they are less expensive is that the wood they use is not tonally the best.
A good 'mid grade' is the Pono. I have had some very good fortune with the Pono brand.
A good pace to look for ukes is The Ukulele Store in Hale'iwa on the North shore of O'ahu. (No affiliation)

Best of luck with your search and 'Keep Strummin'
Old 07-31-2020, 01:40 AM

I owned an eight string Kamaka lili’u uke that was an excellent instrument. It was all-solid koa wood, and even though it was fairly plain-looking koa it had a great sound.

Some twenty or twenty five years ago I foolishly traded it off for a banjo that I ended up disliking, so I was doubly foolish on that transaction.

Oh, well...water under the bridge.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-26-2020, 02:55 PM

Default 8 String Uke

I did much research and heard several sound samples, mostly YouTube, and bought an Oscar Schmidt product (now owned by Washburn). It's an OU28T, flat finish mahogany, 8 string tenor. It seems well made, easy to play, and sounds good to me. This instrument might be considered entry level. It is possible to purchase one online, by itself, for under $100 US. I purchased mine from an online instrument dealer in Florida in a kit also containing a padded gig bag, a five mode digital clip-on tuner, and polishing cloth, all for about $130 US, no sales tax and free shipping. I received it a few days after my purchase. It has become my go to instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments