The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Default need help on reading a pdf tab

Hi everyone,
I just bought a music tab and it is in PDF. I'd like to know if guitar pro can read a tab in pdf or is there a software that I can open this pdf tab and play so I can follow where exactly it is playing? I am new so listening playing and following the pdf at the same time is causing me a little trouble to know where it is playing so I can follow.
I remember I used to know a website where all the music tabs on there can be played with a little help of the vertical red line running across the music tab so I know where it is playing. That is exactly what I need.
Anyone out there familiar with what I am talking about please advise.

Regards,
ky nguyen

Last edited by kyng; 01-09-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Welcome to AGF!

Guitar Pro cannot read .pdf files. Best bet is to work through it super slowly with a metronome. Good luck!

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 01-09-2016, 11:53 PM

I know GP files can be converted into pdf but I am not sure if vice versa is true. Based on the search it seems not possible....
Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 AM

Pdf is a vector graphics format. It knows nothing about music.

Just enter the notes manually into tabledit, guitar pro, finale or whatever software suits you. Personally I think tabledit is the one that does an excellent job without the commercial bloat of tab pro. Finale is good but expensive.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the tip on TablEdit, Frank.

And for anyone looking for something less bloaty than Acrobat Reader for PDFs, I'd recommend Foxit Reader.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I use GuitarPro for inputting tab. It cannot read pdf and convert to a tab. There is a bit of learning curve with these tabbing programs, but the payoff is big.

Don't get discouraged. You wouldn't believe how slow I go at first.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 AM

Thanks all for all the advice. I use riff station to find the chords and mixcraft to split the song into smaller sections so I can learn a section at a time. It's a slow way of learning cause I'm new. Hearing, playing and reading the tab at the same time is hard.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyng View Post
I use riff station to find the chords
Don't trust all those chords. Riffstation only recognises three kinds of chord, which is fine if the song only contains those three kinds (and most do). I've tested it out, and it's very good if the song is simple and the chords reasonably clear. But it made mistakes on quite a few songs (I did choose deliberately tricky ones to test its limits).
Always make sure the chords it gives you sound right when you play them. (Check with online chord charts: often wrong themselves, but be suspicious when there's disagreements.)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 AM

Yes riffstation isn't accurate on recognizing chords. I accidentally found a song on riffstation website that I use that same song to play on riffstation from my laptop I just paid. The same song played by the same program but I notice that one of the chords don't match. It plays Dm on my laptop but D online. And Dm sounds right to my ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write