The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2020, 12:39 AM

Default Tips for fingerstyle, a real help please?

Sorry i will use google translate but i want a great help.
I've been studying fingerstyle since August.
I studied blackbird and other small songs.
But I'm not satisfied because sometimes I jump a rope or it sounds bad to me, that mistake makes me discouraged and I become sad.
The song as a whole I play it well, but sometimes a string can sound bad to me or by mistake I don't hit the right one. I wanted to know happens to you? Because I feel very sad.
Today I learned a new song after 4 days. it's a super mario song. I am very happy but on the one hand I think: `` Maybe the good ones learn this song in 5 minutes while I learned it in 4 days ''
I learned this new super mario song with patience. I am playing at a reduced speed currently.
Could you also give me some mental advice? when I increase the speed will I have many problems in your opinion?
Please be helpful, don't tell me 'bad' things.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsecco View Post
But I'm not satisfied because sometimes I jump a rope or it sounds bad to me, that mistake makes me discouraged and I become sad.
The song as a whole I play it well, but sometimes a string can sound bad to me or by mistake I don't hit the right one. I wanted to know happens to you? Because I feel very sad.
Today I learned a new song after 4 days. it's a super mario song. I am very happy but on the one hand I think: `` Maybe the good ones learn this song in 5 minutes while I learned it in 4 days ''
I learned this new super mario song with patience. I am playing at a reduced speed currently.
Could you also give me some mental advice? when I increase the speed will I have many problems in your opinion?
Mr.Secco,
If it was easy everyone would do it, but it is not easy.

Consider yourself very, very lucky, though: Your ears are working properly (as far as I can tell). How do I know this? Because you get upset when you make a mistake!

Aside from your anger & depression management issues, you are way ahead of the game! The hardest students for me to teach are the ones who are always looking at their hands so intently that their ears are asleep.

If it sounds wrong, it is wrong.

The best thing you could do (aside from getting a good teacher), is to video record yourself so that you can watch AND listen to what you're doing WITHOUT THE GUITAR IN YOUR HAND WHILE OBSERVING YOURSELF!!

You will cringe, again and again, at the small mistakes you're making, but at the same time you will be reminding your other self how to play it correctly, or at least where you should be paying extra attention.

Lastly: You've been playing for 2-3 months, right.

LIGHTEN UP!!!! I've been playing fingerstyle since Sept. 1969.......you do the math.

Enjoy the trip but don't be such a bad back-seat driver to yourself. Be a co-pilot who cares.

Ciao,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Mr.Secco,

Consider yourself very, very lucky, though: Your ears are working properly (as far as I can tell). How do I know this? Because you get upset when you make a mistake!

Aside from your anger & depression management issues, you are way ahead of the game! The hardest students for me to teach are the ones who are always looking at their hands so intently that their ears are asleep.

The best thing you could do (aside from getting a good teacher), is to video record yourself so that you can watch AND listen to what you're doing WITHOUT THE GUITAR IN YOUR HAND WHILE OBSERVING YOURSELF!!

You will cringe, again and again, at the small mistakes you're making, but at the same time you will be reminding your other self how to play it correctly, or at least where you should be paying extra attention.

LIGHTEN UP!!!! I've been playing fingerstyle since Sept. 1969.......you do the math.

Enjoy the trip but don't be such a bad back-seat driver to yourself. Be a co-pilot who cares.

Ciao,
Howard Emerson
Thanks a lot
I needed a nice message.
I wish I could have a teacher, but here in Italy we are a bit short.
I saw here that there are also skype lessons and teachers but speaking different languages ​​would be too difficult
Thanks anyway
Old 10-05-2020, 11:49 AM

IMO.. there's no right or wrong amount of time for people to learn anything.

We all work at our own pace, it is what it is.

Be happy with your accomplishment and don't worry how long it may have taken the "other guy"...
Old 10-05-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
IMO.. there's no right or wrong amount of time for people to learn anything.

We all work at our own pace, it is what it is.

Be happy with your accomplishment and don't worry how long it may have taken the "other guy"...
Really really thank you so much.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Good luck Mr Secco! Try https://www.guitarprinciples.com/. Jamie Andreas' methods are very good for getting the basics right.

Also, try https://www.justinguitar.com/. Everything there is free, and there is an Italian-speaking community in the forums too.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Mr.Secco,

Ciao,
Howard Emerson
Great response from a pro that all of us hobbyists sholuld take to heart! Thanks Howard
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM

Just keep playing slowly and listen to the tone you are making - if it’s not good then keep working on it. Also, find pieces that will challenge you but not beyond your reach too far - you need to be able to make a nice tone to feel good about your playing. I also find that if I am learning pieces I love then I am more motivated to push through.

Be patient with yourself, be determined but make sure to enjoy it and smile :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsecco View Post
The biggest problem I have with learning new finger style songs is that I try to learn it too fast. There is no race. It doesn't matter how fast someone else learned the song. That doesn't help me learn it. Going slow is the best way because you learn to play it correctly and then speed up later.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-05-2020, 09:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The biggest problem I have with learning new finger style songs is that I try to learn it too fast. There is no race. It doesn't matter how fast someone else learned the song. That doesn't help me learn it. Going slow is the best way because you learn to play it correctly and then speed up later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Just keep playing slowly and listen to the tone you are making - if it’s not good then keep working on it. Also, find pieces that will challenge you but not beyond your reach too far - you need to be able to make a nice tone to feel good about your playing. I also find that if I am learning pieces I love then I am more motivated to push through.

Be patient with yourself, be determined but make sure to enjoy it and smile :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great response from a pro that all of us hobbyists sholuld take to heart! Thanks Howard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Good luck Mr Secco! Try https://www.guitarprinciples.com/. Jamie Andreas' methods are very good for getting the basics right.

Also, try https://www.justinguitar.com/. Everything there is free, and there is an Italian-speaking community in the forums too.
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!
I needed these words
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 AM

Smile

You are charming us Mrsecco with your request and your reactions. I like the following instructional video on how to play Freight Train. If you can't do barre chords yet, you can get away with an open G chord and try to reach up to the 5th fret with your pinky. Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdkCFZGEsCw
Old 10-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Recommend Mark Hanson’s Contemporary Travis Picking. It’s available at www.markhansonguitar.com. Very structured approach to learning fingerstyle with good songs to work with.

And slow down and enjoy the journey!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write