The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Smile My New PA System

Today i got a Behringer Europower PMX2000 2x250-watt 10 channel powered mixer with 24-bit multi-FX processor, 2 Yamaha BR12 speakers, 2 Pro Line heavy duty speaker stands, and 2 25 foot speaker cables (the locking ones). All brand new, and for $750.00.

It sounds real nice, and i still have a lot to learn about it, but now i can actually hear myself sing, and can practice for live stuff (probably just an open mic night)

I re-recorded Hey Dreamer (i know... again...) through the PA, and into my Presonus Firebox so you could hear how i sound through a PA. I mixed everything flat, and just set the PA to studio reverb. I'm using my Sure Beta 87A mic, and my Taylor 814CE.

Hey Dreamer With PA System

Let me know what you think, and if you think it would be ok for an open mic night song...

Please...

Any comments on my PA would also me nice...
Old 07-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

It sounds as if I'm in the same room with you. Really good sound. Your vocals and guitar are flawless. I think you're ready Bob. I think you should really look into getting this song on the radio.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Good deal Bob. Once you're ready to play out, I'd definitely recommend getting some kind of a monitor (whether a floor wedge or in-ear). My experience has been that when you can hear yourself singing and playing better, you sing and play better

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Interesting Chris... I find that when playing solo I really dislike monitors, esp in a small club type venue. I actually get worse, not better, which when you're me, doesn't leave a lot of room. I find them distracting more than helpful, although when I do duo or trio work, they help a lot.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 PM

I don't like monitors at solo gigs either. I am always afraid that having a good sounding monitor mix might keep me from hearing what might be wrong the the house mix - see, I play at a lot of small clubs and I can usually get away with angling the speakers slightly across the stage area and hearing myself that way. (Meaning that the speaker to my right side points out towards the audience at left, and the speaker to my left side points towards the audience at right).

Yes, it is fun when you can hear yourself well, but just know that what is coming out of the monitor is not what is going out the mains.

I recently thought about buying a small monitor but I was going to use it very cautiously.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 AM

[QUOTE=bagelsgirl]

Yes, it is fun when you can hear yourself well, but just know that what is coming out of the monitor is not what is going out the mains.

QUOTE]

That's what I love about my Bose L1 [that's what they're calling it now instead of the PAS]. You hear the same thing the audience is hearing. No mis-match of speakers and settings between the mains and monitors. It's all the same.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up

I have a small Ramsa 200 watt PA and the addition of a BBE Sonic Maximizer is something that really helped my sound and you might want to look into. It'll make your live stuff sparkle...
BTW: Nice job!
Dave
Old 07-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Bob,
Nice PA and the recording was great.

Now its time to:
1) Play an open mic (stop dancing around the edge and just jump into the pool Brother)

2 Get ready to play your own gigs with your PA gear or start and host an open mic with your new gear.

I sing like a cross between Niel Young and Bob Dylan and wish I had a voice like yours.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks everyone. Well the Behringer sounded good, but i found some reviews about over heating problems, exesive hissing, and channels going out. I don't know too much about this stuff (yet), so just to be on the safe side i threw in an extra $150.00 and GC let me upgrade the Behringer to a Yamaha EMX312SC. Its got 600W (300x2), and is probably a better match for the speakers (2 Yamaha BR12's). The Yamaha has a stand by switch, and 4 of the channels have their own individual compressor knobs. It has 16 effects, and a parameter knob to vary each effect. I don't use effects all that much anyway. I use a little reverb, but i don't consider that an effect.

I just feel like Yamaha may be the better way to go, unless i was looking for a high end system.

Any way, thank you all for your input, and i'm glad some of you enjoyed my song...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell