The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Ordered me a Heritage!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I would recommend the wide for all guitars. You never know when ya may wanna capo up the board. The wide isn't much wider anyway...

Is there any hand position disadvantages using a wide?
Such as when the hand angles back for certain chords or notes on The First Fret after the capo? Does the hand touch the Wide more? I have little experience using a capo. But with the few times I have, there were occasions when my left hand felt constrained on certain positions when I was using one or more fingers on the first fret after the capo.
Where is the best place to capo with the Heritage? Just before the fret? In the middle between two frets. Or in the middle of the middle between two frets(1/4 before the fret)?
Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Such as when the hand angles back for certain chords or notes on The First Fret after the capo? Does the hand touch the Wide more? I have little experience using a capo. But with the few times I have, there were occasions when my left hand felt constrained on certain positions when I was using one or more fingers on the first fret after the capo.
Where is the best place to capo with the Heritage? Just before the fret? In the middle between two frets. Or in the middle of the middle between two frets(1/4 before the fret)?
It depends. I like a capo to be right on top of the fret. If its in my way for a tune I'll just move it back until it isn't.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Your guitar will tell you where it likes the capo. There's no single placing that's "best".

The wide capo shouldn't hinder you in any way. The Heritage is sleek and unobtrusive, while being one of the best capo's ever made.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 PM

My Heritage arrived today, and I’m a little on the fence...well, maybe I just need to get used to it and need some pointers.

How do you guys know when enough tension is applied? It is beautiful and works great, I just have never used a capo like this before.

Right now I’m having trouble finding the sweet spot. It’s either too tight and pulls sharp or it buzzes.

What’s the trick guys???
Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
My Heritage arrived today, and I’m a little on the fence...well, maybe I just need to get used to it and need some pointers.

How do you guys know when enough tension is applied? It is beautiful and works great, I just have never used a capo like this before.

Right now I’m having trouble finding the sweet spot. It’s either too tight and pulls sharp or it buzzes.

What’s the trick guys???
Wow - mine isn’t like that at all. I put mine very close to the fret and tighten it until the notes ring true - which requires less pressure than my Shubbs, Dunlop trigger, or Paige does.

Is it happening the same way clamped against different frets around the neck?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Wow - mine isn’t like that at all. I put mine very close to the fret and tighten it until the notes ring true - which requires less pressure than my Shubbs, Dunlop trigger, or Paige does.

Is it happening the same way clamped against different frets around the neck?

I tried it again and I think you are right. A couple of my strings were a touch sharp and I didn’t realize it. Seems to work great I just didn’t know when you stop tightening ?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Jesse, I am a Paige fan and have sung their praises on the forum for the past several years. They are designed in the yoke style that I believe produces the best capo'd tone of any style capo.

I bought the Heritage because the ART technology intrigued me as it claimed to reduce re-tuning, and the description of how it achieved that, was believable.

Not only does it accomplish that, it made my guitar sound FAR better than any capo I've ever used. So much so, I'd buy it again for that result alone.

You won't regret buying the Heritage.
You had to do it didn't you? You just forced me to buy it!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
You had to do it didn't you? You just forced me to buy it!
And I'm happy for you and await your response and review!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll have to snag one of these models one of these days. They do beautiful work, and I've been impressed with their Performance Series models for many years.

sm
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM

The Heritage is growing on me. I am so used to clamp style capos that I find I’m fumbling a lot with quick changes with the yoke style.

It’s funny, but I put on my daughters $7 Amazon capo and it was perfectly in tune. However, when I switched back to the Heritage, the sound was SOOO much better with the Heritage.

I ordered a Performance 3 to compare with the Heritage. If the Performance 3 gives me similar tuning stability, no buzzing, and good sound, I’ll probably keep the P3.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM

I never thought I'd spend $150 on a capo, but after reading this entire thread I just ordered a G7th Heritage capo from Sweetwater.

Food for my family will just have to wait.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I never thought I'd spend $150 on a capo, but after reading this entire thread I just ordered a G7th Heritage capo from Sweetwater.

Food for my family will just have to wait.
Your family will eventually forgive you.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Your family will eventually forgive you.
You would admit to anyone anywhere (family included, family in PARTICULAR) that you spent $150 on a capo? Or $30 on a pick?

My wife knows what my guitars cost. She claims not to care, but I feel obligated to let her know about the big stuff. The little stuff she might well be offended by and I don't need to do that to her or to me... I'm quite sure she buys stuff that I would think was kind of insane, but it's not my place to judge - neither of us has spent us into any sort of financial problems, so it's fine to make judgements about what to tell each other.

She does NOT know anything about my Heritage capos except that she see's them sitting there just like the $15 Shubb...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I missed this thread! I've been really trying to decided between the Performance 3 and the Heritage. I have loved my Performance 2, but it doesn't work at all with my Taylor 717. Still trying to understand why.
Yes, my P2 doesn't have a radius to match my D-18, meaning it really needs to be mashed down to avoid the D and G being damped, resulting in much re-tuning which sort of defeats the object. I reverted back to my Shubb for the Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion