The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Quite happy with mine, except the top bar latch that drives me nuts with its play. No issue at all as long as the capo is tight and in use, but annoying as hell when moving the capo between frets.

I would have given it a top score if not for that flimsy latch. Really a shame on a capo that costs this much, and probably what will make me order an Elliott and sell the g7th.
I've never so much as noticed that. Mine is either on the guitar or off. When it's on, it's tightened down to the point that the latch isn't loose. When I loosen it to move between frets, it's loose enough not to affect that move, and then I tighten it again. When it's off the guitar, the latch is open.

I'm not being critical, just find it interesting that the same part that's objectively the same on my capo as on yours, didn't even cause me to notice it, let alone be bothered by it, and for you it bugs you enough that you're contemplating selling it. We're all different critters!
Old 06-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've never so much as noticed that. Mine is either on the guitar or off. When it's on, it's tightened down to the point that the latch isn't loose. When I loosen it to move between frets, it's loose enough not to affect that move, and then I tighten it again. When it's off the guitar, the latch is open.

I'm not being critical, just find it interesting that the same part that's objectively the same on my capo as on yours, didn't even cause me to notice it, let alone be bothered by it, and for you it bugs you enough that you're contemplating selling it. We're all different critters!
The devil's in the details.

I admit to being picky, but again that is what draws me to high quality and often expensive gear. And to me, that latch is a huge disappointment. Strange that you didn't even notice it, but hey, you and who ever constructed the thing are probably on the same page.

I also own a Shubb fine-tune capo, and I find the latch to be superior on that one. Unfortunately, everything else the Heritage does better.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the review. Been thinking of one of these down the road.

One issue for me is my current fave player, an Eastman, has a volute right where you would part the capo when not using. So this is my hesitation.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

One issue for me is my current fave player, an Eastman, has a volute right where you would part the capo when not using. So this is my hesitation.

Thanks,
Scott
Understand. I leave one guitar out on a Zither stand and because of the way the guitar hangs, I don't park the capo at the headstock. That said, it is an easy trade-off for me....the capo is that good.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Strange that you didn't even notice it, but hey, you and who ever constructed the thing are probably on the same page.
Maybe "didn't even notice it" is the wrong description. I probably noticed it in passing, but it just didn't even occur to me that it was in any way a bad thing or, given my lack of experience with other yoke style capos, something that shouldn't be like that. I guess I was so thrilled with how well the whole thing WORKS, it just somehow seemed like a part of the awesome whole rather than a persnickety negative detail. If I'd used other yoke capos before, I might have had the same reaction as you. Sometimes, and I'm reminded of this every day, ignorance is bliss...
Old 06-19-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

Thanks,

Scott

FWIW, the Heritage capo sits beautifully on my Martin OM-28V, the volute is not a problem IME. I just sold another guitar that also had a volute, no problem with that one either.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM

It's the best one I've used.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM

I love my Heritage capo as well. Great piece of gear. I haven't noticed any issues with the latch on mine - and I park it above the nut and move it everywhere from the 1st fret to the 7th. Latch stays closed with no issues.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 06-19-2019, 03:42 PM

I'm always learning of a problem I didn't know existed, on AGF.

The latch on the G7th is under tension when in use, holding things firm and then slightly snug, above the nut, when not in use. No problem in either instance.

The latch is part of a superbly machined capo and performs, for most, in a way that causes it to not be noticed.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Default re:

I enjoyed the g7th heritage wide neck, full acanthus engraving (style 3), but found I keep going back to my elliott.

I'm thinking of selling the G7th, on the fence since I do like it.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I enjoyed the g7th heritage wide neck, full acanthus engraving (style 3), but found I keep going back to my elliott.

I'm thinking of selling the G7th, on the fence since I do like it.
How much do you need for it?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Does the Heritage design offer better performance and tone over the performance 3? I have a p3 and I don't have any complaints. Love all of the G7th stuff.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Fine piece of kit. And it does deliver improved tone over other capos. The Kat Eyz is a good 'un too but this one takes the cake.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:32 PM

More than happy with my Heritage G7.
Expensive? Yep!
Worth it? To me, yes.
Why? It pulls my strings out of tune less than other capos and it makes my guitar sound better than other capos.
My second choice is an inexpensive Shubb.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenAudio View Post
Does the Heritage design offer better performance and tone over the performance 3? I have a p3 and I don't have any complaints. Love all of the G7th stuff.
I found I still needed to retune a few strings every time I used the Performance 3, despite the ART. With the Heritage, I almost never have to touch the tuning after I put it on, once in a while one string might be very slightly off, but often not by enough to even worry about and more often not at all. So, I didn't find the P3 all that great or other than other capos that didn't have the ART, but the Heritage, for me at least, is in another category.

If you're good with what you got, stay put. But if you find yourself having to tune up after you put the capo on, and if that bothers you, the Heritage is worth a shot.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion