The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My X7 is definitely neck heavy, not as bad as my Rainsong but not balanced like a wooden guitar either.

The two guitars I have played that were not neck heavy were the Blackbird Lucky 13 and Savoy.

I solved the neck heavy issue by tying my strap "hippy style" at the headstock.
I agree with you, if I use the X7 with a strap it definitely wants to dive, I find it easy enough to compensate with a little right elbow grip , but if you just let it do it’s own thing it will dive. The X20 does not, it hangs nicely centered on it’s own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post

I'm guessing that carbon fiber guitars are so light that they tend to have some weight bias towards the headstock?
I used to think that as well Bob, but they are not lighter than wood, they are about the same,
in fact my X20 is about a pound heavier than my Waterloo WL-12.

CF ‘s great quality is being strong as, but lighter than STEEL not lighter than wood.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

One possible solution would add some counter balancing weight to the tail end of the guitar. Try it on the outside first to fine tune the position and amount, then use double stick tape to add the right amount of weight inside, probably in the lower bout. Or not........
Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

On another thread, in order to check something for my buddy, Long Jon, I got my X7 out. While just standing there, with the strap on the guitar, I let go of it and the neck dropped! Almost an inch before it balanced. The neck did not continue to "dive." I moved around a bit... the X7 stayed in the same place. Seated, with the X7 on my lap - no neck dive.

For full disclosure, I had the neck slightly up when I conducted this careful scientific experiment. The guitar found... its balance. Almost zen-like.

How could I have ever thought there was "zero neck dive"?? An inch. OK, joking aside, it isn't an issue for me. I use a strap that has a leather liner. To move around in the motorhome, I have to push the neck down to move through narrow spaces.

And then, it hit me: other than when traveling in the motorhome, I mostly play plugged in... yep, "zero neck dive."

For more full disclosure (how much can we stand?): I do have other guitars that are a bit neck heavy. None of them have been an issue to the point where I felt it was a problem. Maybe it has been 53 years of playing? Much of that on an ES-335 that has the same density as lead. All my acoustic guitars feel like feather-weight after that.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

I used to think that as well Bob, but they are not lighter than wood, they are about the same,
in fact my X20 is about a pound heavier than my Waterloo WL-12.
It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, just like wood guitars. My Shorty is definitely the lightest OM size guitar I own. My Guild by far the heaviest. (but really, does anyone make an acoustic as heavy as an old Rhode Island Guild?)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

A Much of that on an ES-335 that has the same density as lead. All my acoustic guitars feel like feather-weight after that.
I hear ya Captain. I have a 68 Les Paul. No neck dive on that guitar. It weighs a ton (maybe literally)!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:09 AM

I've read that McPherson CF guitars are a bit heavier. Is the McPherson Touring guitar something that I should be looking at? I've read good things about their build quality and their sound. Maybe a guitar with a slightly heavier body would tend to have less neck dive? Any thoughts on this guitar?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
I've read that McPherson CF guitars are a bit heavier. Is the McPherson Touring guitar something that I should be looking at? I've read good things about their build quality and their sound. Maybe a guitar with a slightly heavier body would tend to have less neck dive? Any thoughts on this guitar?
I don't notice any diveageness <-- (impressing Unc Evy with my mastery of the American language) and no one mentioned it yet...I still have at least 4 more folks having at it in next couple days..Ill see if they notice. So ill be diving into that observation for you.
The rougher finish on the sides and back of the McPherson sure work well with minimizing slippage..I like it.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 03-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I don't notice any diveageness <-- (impressing Unc Evy with my mastery of the American language) and no one mentioned it yet...I still have at least 4 more folks having at it in next couple days..Ill see if they notice. So ill be diving into that observation for you.
The rougher finish on the sides and back of the McPherson sure work well with minimizing slippage..I like it.
Diveageness, I like it! I look forward to your observations. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

Diveageness--I'll be forwarding this along to Misters Webster and Oxford. They, too, will be astounded at it impressiness.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Diveageness--I'll be forwarding this along to Misters Webster and Oxford. They, too, will be astounded at it impressiness.
Thanks I would have done that but I am taking a nap right now.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Just knowing people like you guys emproudens and embiggens me more than I can expressulate in wordulation .
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Ya give an English guy a yard and he takes a meter...sigh...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Y'all sound funny to me. Must be your accents.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM

"Diveageness" - it's a perfectly cromulent word.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Guest 928

You guys better stop this daft banter lest someone think we're not serious.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber