The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Default townes van zandt profile

on the sundance channel. i see one repeat on 07/13 if you miss this one. i haven't seen it, but i'm looking forward to it:

Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt
8:00 PM, 1 hr 45 min
Mon 07/03/2006
SUND 166
Documentary/Other/Music
NR, TV14, English, Letterbox, 2004
Songwriter Townes Van Zandt is profiled. Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson are among those interviewed.

/guy
Old 07-03-2006, 08:43 PM

One of my favorite Austin City Limits was when a bunch of folks performed his songs - he is so highly regarded by so many. One of a kind for sure.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 AM

I watched the show. This man had some serious problems. Granted, his songs are very good, IMO, and somewhat a continuation of great American folk music, but as a person, I wouldn't have want him for a friend. It seems, from the interviews, his friends made very much light of his addiction, except for one, who actually ask him at concert to leave the stage.
Quite frankly, I could and can never understand why some people have a fascination with artists who are totally messed up. Not that it makes their music bad, but, it does give a disingenuous impression of their lyrics. Personally, I like artists, who are decent human beings and have their stuff together and express that through their music.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Bern,

Don't get the impression I don't think he was a mess. He was a thoroughly disenfranchised human being. My feeling is that talented people would be more talented without their addictions. I don't ever defend artistic exploration through chemistry!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
I watched the show. This man had some serious problems. <Del>Quite frankly, I could and can never understand why some people have a fascination with artists who are totally messed up. <Del>
well, if we threw out every lyric that was substance-enhanced we might be going back to gregorian chants!

but having said that, yes it was a sad state of affairs. i'm not sure if he was exaggerating about going to sleep with 3 tubes of airplane glue in his mouth but perhaps not. perhaps i missed some of the first of the show, but i didn't really hear anything in his childhood to cause that level of depression and desparation--not that there needs to be external events for that.

/guy
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
well, if we threw out every lyric that was substance-enhanced we might be going back to gregorian chants!
Guy, I hope you are saying this in jest.
Van Zandt's music is based on the lyrical content. I don't mean to question his talent, but, IMO, there is more to artists than just talent. BTW, I just formed my opinion from the portrayal of him from the show.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
Guy, I hope you are saying this in jest.
Van Zandt's music is based on the lyrical content. I don't mean to question his talent, but, IMO, there is more to artists than just talent. BTW, I just formed my opinion from the portrayal of him from the show.
not in jest at all! after all, i read somewhere even snuff is slightly hallucinogenic used in copious enough quantities and i understand many of the classical, romantic and baroque period composers used it. and most likely other substances we didn't know about.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 07-04-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:03 PM

Let's see how other people feel about this.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:39 AM

I'm not making excuses for anyone's self-destructive behaviors, but I think that sometimes whatever it is about their brains that permits some people to be so poetic and achingly insightful also predisposes them to depression and other emotional problems. Then depending on the environment and circumstances, those emotional problems can either be dealt with "professionally" or through self-medication. Self medication is of course a downward spiral.

I love the songs Townes wrote. I think they are some of the best poetry out there, but I am probably glad I never did see him in concert. I prefer to remember the songs but mourn the man.

"We all got holes to fill, them holes is all that's real.
Some fall on you like a storm, sometimes you dig your own"

'70 Aquarius classical
'78 Hohner HG-06 (signed by Gillian Welch/David Rawlings, Kate Campbell, Vince Bell, Kevin Montgomery, and Nanci Griffith)
'95 Epiphone Sheraton II
'01 Alvarez Yairi WY1-12
'05 Dean Palomino
'06 Takamine EG334SC
'07 Fender Standard Telecaster
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

My 2 cents worth:
I'm not about to defend, nor judge any man by his addictions (period).

However, I think Townes' lyrics and performances are / were incredible...I for one, am fascinated by TVZ's music. He was a true singer-songwriter, a poet, and his life was a part of the song.

And while not being the most educated man of religion myself, seems there is something about those who cast stones, ought to look in the mirror first. I imagine, like most people, we do the best we can with what we have. I celebrate the poet's life!

TVZ's songs move my soul...wish I got the Sundance channel, til then, I'll just sing and play a few Towne's songs on a beautiful rainy morning.

Nate
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM

I just saw it yesterday. I don't think I would have wanted to live with him or roll the dice on seeing him live, but his music is amazing, and that's all that really concerns me.

I'd never heard anything by him before seeing the documentary, but I'll definitely have to pick up some albums when I have the money.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Sod Buster

I haven't seen the doc. but I've heard stories from some who knew him here in Nashville. They never even mention the problems, they only refer to his inceredible songwriting ability and his heart. He was loved for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell