The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Default amp enought for a small gig?

I've been doing the open mic scene and it's been going well. I'm probably going to be able to set up a few solo gigs. I don't have a PA.
Currently I have a martin with built in fishman pickup and a fender acoustasonic jr. (which I'll raise up with an amp stand). Will I be able to get away with this set up for solo acoustic and vocals? Venues are small, typically 20-40 in the audience. The open mic hosts in these venues usually use a small PA, with the speakers only spread about 10 feet apart.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Ah the great debate will follow.

For some a small PA is the only way to go. These will give you the flexibilty to add and control more mics and guitars down the road, and to add floor monitors in addition to the mains. In general these usually sound better than an amp with a mic and insturment jack. But there are a lot of opinions on which manufacturer makes the best sound reinforcement for your dollar. Mackie, Yamaha and JBL and other major recognized brands tend to be amoung the most often mentioned. Speaker size is a consideration. For small paces 12" is probably going to work but obviously 15" will give you more low end. Do you want simply a amp or a combo amp/mixer? The down side is load in and out are going to take longer and weight might be an issue. You'll need to purchase and keep track of cables and if the speakers are powered you'll need to be certain the place has a good and convenient source of power for your rig. There will be a learning curve as you figure out the right settings on the amp/mixer to assure the vocals are as natureal

The easy way to start is to keep it simple and just plug your mic and guitar into an amp hit the power tweek the setting a bit and start playing. My guitar coach said his favoirte gigs were the days when he walked in with his Taylor in one had and Trace Elliott amp in the other. He worked with out a mic and just played solo acoustic fingerstyle versions of songs. He sat on the amp as he played. When the evening was over he turned of the power, unplugge the guitar, put the calble and guitar in the gig bag wrapped the power chord into the amp and walked out.
The low cost way to start is probably best, see if it works for you if not you can start down the PA side.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

For small venues, your amp will work well, as you have already indicated you will put it on an amp stand. If the venue is really noisy, you might have to turn it up louder which might make it too loud nearer the amp (uncomfortable for those patrons perhaps).

For sure, a PA setup works better from a sound dispersion persepective - better throw at lower volumes. I use one myself and like it better than an amp.

Since you already have the amp, there's no harm in using it for awhile to see how it works. Ask audience members how it sounds, as you can't quite tell how they hear things from your stage position.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf
I've been doing the open mic scene and it's been going well. I'm probably going to be able to set up a few solo gigs. I don't have a PA.
Currently I have a martin with built in fishman pickup and a fender acoustasonic jr. (which I'll raise up with an amp stand). Will I be able to get away with this set up for solo acoustic and vocals? Venues are small, typically 20-40 in the audience. The open mic hosts in these venues usually use a small PA, with the speakers only spread about 10 feet apart.
Hi Murf...
I'd give it a shot. I use a small UltraSound AG-50 about 18'' - 24'' behind me to do a coffee house every week, and it works great for both guitar and vocals. Getting the amp up in the air is key to making it work in any environment (it is the same for PAs).

Depending on the volume levels, you may need a feedback buster (rubber plug). They will help you achieve higher levels of output before feedback.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-04-2006, 10:51 PM

I always did fine in small coffeehouses as a solo with an acoustic amp--vocal mic in one channel, guitar (using std. 1/4" cable) in the other. In fact, I would often run an A/B box into the guitar channel, and plug both my guitar and my dulcimer into the A/B box. (I would use a PADI or Pro EQ Plat. with the dulcimer, which lacks its own preamp and controls). The amp I used most often was my Marshall AS50R; but in tiny venues I have even been able to use a Fender Powered floor wedge monitor as the amp!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 AM
minister of twang

i like using my amp where it works... mostly smaller venues. it's nice to be able to shape my sound/effects (i just use 'verb), and i frequently use it as a monitor. but even with my 100-watt ultrasound, it has its limits. longer rooms, noisier environments, etc., a couple of speakers for dispersion just simply work better. for those situations i like to d.i. out of my amp (which i still use as a monitor) to a couple of speakers. i can pull the level down on the amp, can still hear myself well, and still get a nice throw through the speakers to the room.
l'twangage
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

I second the thought of having an amp with direct outs (I really want a Genz-Benz 200 !) to use to shape the sound on stage used as a monitor and then sent out to the system. I've played through some great PA's that I couldn't do justice with 'cause if you're over or under balanced and at the mercy of the house soundman for monitoring, you'll never get consistent results. Better to at least have it sound the way you want to hear it on stage, and then if the house sound guy screws it up at least you'll be able to hear yourself without screaming or overplaying. My 2 cents worth

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmikey
i like using my amp where it works... mostly smaller venues. it's nice to be able to shape my sound/effects (i just use 'verb), and i frequently use it as a monitor. but even with my 100-watt ultrasound, it has its limits. longer rooms, noisier environments, etc., a couple of speakers for dispersion just simply work better. for those situations i like to d.i. out of my amp (which i still use as a monitor) to a couple of speakers. i can pull the level down on the amp, can still hear myself well, and still get a nice throw through the speakers to the room.
Agreed Mike...
I think yours is a fairly common approach to the problem - amp for smaller venues, and direct out of the amp for larger ones - using the amp as your sound shaping station and stage monitor.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell