The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I'm always surprised by Seagull S6 recommendations. For a bit more money you could get an LL16 or FS3, both of which are far superior imo. I had a used S6 recently for a bit and found it to be very average sounding.. nothing special about it at all.

My LL16 sounds unreal in comparison. Night and day.

Eastmans under $1k are also great, although I don't like the rough open pore necks.

You could also just go to an actual guitar store and try a bunch of guitars and try to find something that surprises you.
I’m not surprised people buy offshore guitars they can be very good. Having said that I don’t know who makes the LL16 and FS 3?
In their price range I don’t expect the S6 or many of the Godin line to be much above average and there’s nothing wrong with average. My reasons for recommending Seagull (Godin) guitars are, they are good guitars manufactured in North America using locally sourced materials and labour and priced appropriately.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-26-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I don’t know who makes the LL16 and FS 3?
Yamaha makes them.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Alright this is tricky since you're asking for new and under $1k. Based on my experiences right now I'd recommend looking at Eastmans. They have a few models in that range. I'd probably look closest at the E1OM or E1D "special" since it has gloss finish, quilted sapele body, and baked top. Can't argue with how nice those features are for the price.

If buying domestic has importance for you then I'd say Seagull S6, particularly the 1982 reissue since it has short scale. They have several models in that price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion