The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2019, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Least feedback prone mic?

I am thinking about combining my K&K equipped Martins with a good quality condenser mic for performance. I will be running it through my ACUS OneforStrings 8 that has phantom power. I play in many places where set up is an issue, i.e., the amp must be close to me and I am looking for recommendations of a mic that has both very good directional fidelity and at the same time is not prone to feedback. FWIW, I have many years experience with vocal mics so I know how to set up my gear to minimize feedback for vocals. My budget is about $250, give or take, and although I do my best to take care of all my gear it must be able to survive the occasional bump. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 PM

The Sennheiser E 945 is what I see the most, you could look into that one. So directional that I don't like them for vocals if the singer doesn't stay right smack in front of it -- if you're a look-down-at-the-guitar person, and most of us are, the head shifts are clearly audible. But on a guitar it shouldn't be an issue.

An oddball option, but the one I'd probably go for, is the Rode NTG1. It's a studio short-shotgun condenser. It needs phantom power and is more delicate than typical stage mics, but it's directional as all get out and very guitar-friendly.

Couch Standards
Old 11-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Shure Beta 87A Supercardoid with the tightest pattern I've found (and I've tried pretty much all the top of the line models). I've used this mic for both my vocals and guitar (I own two of them).

You can see me opening for some national act with my Schertler amp and two of the Beta 87As. The crowd was about 500 people so you know I was loud (I was slaving the direct out of my Schertler into 1000s of watts of house sound...

Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks! I use the Beta 87A for my vocals now, will try it with the guitar and order another one if it fits the bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification