The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default LD Systems Maui 11 G2

Couldn't be more pleased with my new Maui 11 G2.....not only is it great for me and my solo acoustic with vocals, but the owners and managers of the rooms I'm playing in say it's a perfect fit for their rooms and, more importantly, for their customers.....sold the Bose L1 and not looking back.....barely using 1/3 of the power and volume of the Maui so far, so plenty of room to grow into bigger rooms and outdoor gigs when the time comes.....thanks to all of you who aimed me in the direction of LD Systems! If you remember, I've been playing for over 50 years, and I know good sound when I hear it!

Last edited by krugjr; 11-16-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

there..........I made a little shorter version of my thoughts.....
Old 11-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
Couldn't be more pleased with my new Maui 11 G2.....not only is it great for me and my solo acoustic with vocals, but the owners and managers of the rooms I'm playing in say it's a perfect fit for their rooms and, more importantly, for their customers.....sold the Bose L1 and not looking back.....barely using 1/3 of the power and volume of the Maui so far, so plenty of room to grow into bigger rooms and outdoor gigs when the time comes.....thanks to all of you who aimed me in the direction of LD Systems! If you remember, I've been playing for over 50 years, and I know good sound when I hear it!
Yikes! Thank you for your Maui 11 G2 review but you've gone and given another bout of GGAS (Guitar & Gear Acquisition Syndrome)!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-16-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

SpruceTop.....followed your posts for years.....I had the L1 Model 1 B1 T1 for 9 yrs, sold it last year, thinking I was done with live work....(nope)....listened to a lot of what AGF folks had to say about a "Bose sound for a lot less money", and ended up with the Maui 11 G2.....before I even gigged with it, a "deal" popped up on a L1 Model 2 B2 T4.....I grabbed it as an "insurance policy"...ha...ha.....then after a couple months of solo work with the Maui I said goodbye to the Bose Model 2, including the B2 and T4......the Maui 11 is all that I need and more, without compromise (everyone's needs are different).....I still had the Bose T1 which I kept when selling the Model 1, and it really works for me as the mixer for the Maui, and I was comfortable with it.....I got the A&H Zed 10 FX with the Maui but in the end didn't need stereo, so I stuck with the T1 and all is good...very good.....

now if you want to hear my Taylor ES2 vs Tak Cool Tube tale.....another place, another time!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:21 AM

I'm a Maui owner also. Interested to hear your thoughts on differences between Bose and Maui. There is some kind of auto eq-ing in the Maui? Where are you placing the Maui when you play out? I didn't have the speaker bag (for tops) but did purchase after a few load ins Cheers
Old 11-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
SpruceTop.....followed your posts for years.....I had the L1 Model 1 B1 T1 for 9 yrs, sold it last year, thinking I was done with live work....(nope)....listened to a lot of what AGF folks had to say about a "Bose sound for a lot less money", and ended up with the Maui 11 G2.....before I even gigged with it, a "deal" popped up on a L1 Model 2 B2 T4.....I grabbed it as an "insurance policy"...ha...ha.....then after a couple months of solo work with the Maui I said goodbye to the Bose Model 2, including the B2 and T4......the Maui 11 is all that I need and more, without compromise (everyone's needs are different).....I still had the Bose T1 which I kept when selling the Model 1, and it really works for me as the mixer for the Maui, and I was comfortable with it.....I got the A&H Zed 10 FX with the Maui but in the end didn't need stereo, so I stuck with the T1 and all is good...very good.....

now if you want to hear my Taylor ES2 vs Tak Cool Tube tale.....another place, another time!
Thanks for your background with the systems. Your long-term Bose L1 experience certainly makes you a credible advocate for the utility of your Maui 11 G2 system!

I'm looking forward to your Taylor ES2 vs. Takamine CoolTube tale which I hope is coming soon.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-18-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Foss38.....I'm not the engineer type to be able to describe the details of how they designed the Maui (read it all but didn't understand it all).....I trust my ears more than anything (along with AGF imput) after 55 yrs of playing live.....and I'd be splitting hairs trying to describe the differences between Bose and Maui.....maybe I'd say mids more emphasized in the Bose, and warmth more emphasized in the Maui
......and possibly a slight edge to the Bose in the department of "accurate reproduction of sound".....whatever that means, and does anybody in the places I play really notice that? add to that the Maui can be had for less than half of what the Bose costs (with mixer added) and, for my needs, it's a no brainer...hope that helps...
Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

SpruceTop.....give me a couple days to wrap up some busyness and I'll get to the ES2 vs the Cool Tube.....interesting journey for me...
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I have both a Maui 5 and a 28 (Mexico and the States). Best acoustic tone I've ever heard with either the LD Systems little 8 channel Mixer or my Touchmix's.

I can't comment on Bose systems because Dr. Anwar Bose is, and always has been, an intellectual property thief and I wound't own anything he makes.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 11-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Puerto Player.........I hear where you're comin' from.....
Old 11-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I have both a Maui 5 and a 28 (Mexico and the States). Best acoustic tone I've ever heard with either the LD Systems little 8 channel Mixer or my Touchmix's.

I can't comment on Bose systems because Dr. Anwar Bose is, and always has been, an intellectual property thief and I wound't own anything he makes.
Please expand on your comment about Dr. Amar Bose. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-18-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for this review.

I'm currently using a small system that is just a single QSC K8.2 and a small Yamaha mixer with built-in effects. I'm preparing for a gig on Thursday and trying to decide if I want the speaker on a stand or not.

I own a stand so I'll have it in the car with me, but obviously the Maui system would sort of solve that indecision as well.

I've kept an eye on the evolution of the powered stick systems. Sort of been waiting to see if it's a real trend with newer models being released or just a fad that is destined to fade.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I worked with 2 MIT scientists with both multiple Masters and eventually Doctorates in physics, math and computer science. They both told the same story about Amar Bose when he was a professor there. He'd use his students and grad students papers and get patents on their ideas. They absolutely hated the man for that. Both these guys were the two most gentle and down to earth people I'd ever worked with and both became life long friends till their passing. The only thing I'd ever seen get them worked up is when they'd talk about Amar. I'm a badminton player too, and so is Bose and his son, so I really want to like the guy, but I trust my two old friends more.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 11-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I worked with 2 MIT scientists. Both of them had multiple Masters degrees and one a Doctorate in Physics. They both told the same story about Amar Bose when he was a professor there. He'd use his students and grad students papers and get patents on their ideas. They absolutely hated the man for that. Both these guys were the two most gentle and down to earth people I'd ever worked with and both became life long friends till their passing. The only thing I'd ever seen get them worked up is when they'd talk about Amar. I'm a badminton player too, and so is Bose and his son, so I really want to like the guy, but I trust my two old friends more.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 12-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I worked with 2 MIT scientists with both multiple Masters and eventually Doctorates in physics, math and computer science. They both told the same story about Amar Bose when he was a professor there. He'd use his students and grad students papers and get patents on their ideas. They absolutely hated the man for that. Both these guys were the two most gentle and down to earth people I'd ever worked with and both became life long friends till their passing. The only thing I'd ever seen get them worked up is when they'd talk about Amar. I'm a badminton player too, and so is Bose and his son, so I really want to like the guy, but I trust my two old friends more.
Thanks for the deeper insight into Dr. Bose.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification