The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Default Spire studio

Hi all,
I've seen a few comments about this here, mostly positive. Is anyone using one alot?
I'm wondering, if you record a guide track on,say,track one, can you then delete it and re record over it later?
Any comments appreciated.
Nick
Old 10-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you have two questions
One is about using the Spire alot

Check out this thread about it https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=spire

The second question sounds like you are talking about what is usually called a scratch track ( a track where you play and or play and sing all the way through) then you begin to overdub while monitoring that track ,,,,yes?

While I don't use the Spire but I have used a scratch track and it can be useful to get a feel for how you want to play the track and build from there.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I use the Spire regularly. I work with a music partner who is 1350 miles away. When starting a file, I record a scratch track with guitar and vocal so I can then add bass and drums, then delete the scratch track and record guitar and vocals separately. My partner will often use a scratch track to start a project and send it to me with his tracks added; using the scratch track, he will sometimes give me vocal cues for timing. Then, I will add my tracks and delete the scratch track.

Check out the other Spire thread on this sub-forum, just a few thread down.

And post your results here. I have found the Spire is an easy way to record, without getting too technical. If you need to have more than 8 tracks, it may not be the solution for you... I've found it very rare that I run out of tracks on any particular project.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:14 AM

Default Seconded

I am using my Spire studio quite a bit. Yes to the scratch track question. Actually literally recorded an album on the Spire which will be out close to end of the year. Been sending tracks back and forth from Cleveland to Ontario to my co-writer. We met in Warren Pa in the Allegheny forest and recorded at a hotel conference room. Once the album’s out I’ll post some tunes here.
I also just recorded a 2 track version of Norman Blake’s Ginseng Sullivan that I’ll post in our sticky thread for the Spire .
Good luck to you
Rick Benjamin
Old 10-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the comments gents. And thanks for the link to the earlier discussion.
Looks like it's too much fun to avoid.....

Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD