The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Your setup is way more complex than what I go for with acoustic guitar, and especially by throwing the magnetic in there.

I put this guitar together recently and I was really pleased with the resulting sound. It's technically a large chambered semi-acoustic, but it has a really nice electric tone, more acoustic than what you'd think. I think part of it is what it produces naturally. A friend was playing it unplugged and I was surprised by how loud it was, so I'm sure that's coupling back through the single magnetic pickup.

All this to say that in your case the addition of the magnetic might end up being a definite plus.

That looks a lovely guitar.
Nick
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Lately I've been spoiled a bit by adding a mag pickup to record solo fingerstyle playing along with 3 mics. So I have 4 inputs, two wide spaced pair, a center large diaphragm, and the magnetic pickup which is mixed in, added to taste.

So this is working good for me except now I don't hear as much of the unique characteristics of a particular guitar. In other words, it's making everything a little more similar sounding, homogenized. So if I'm playing the maple/sitka Beneteau CS, it can sound like my Collings OM IRW/German by just dialing in the magnetic pickup. Normally these two guitars would sound nothing alike, but now I have to listen very carefully to distinguish between the two.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing. The pickup really gives the bass a bump and I try not to let the "fakey" magnetic pickup sound win out or become dominate. I'm mixing it center as with the middle microphone, the spaced pair are mixed hard L and R.

So some of the guitars I'm recording do not have a magnetic pickup and I still play them and record them... but listening back, I'm not liking the sound as much. It's like I want to throw a mag pickup in there just to give it that bass bump. I think the trick will be to use a mag pickup and just mix enough to add the bass but not take away from the overall sound.

Comments, suggestions, welcome.
I'm with you. I never think an acoustic really sounds like one (on my recordings that is) unless there's a small amount of magnetic in there. I have mixed piezo, magnetic and microphone many times. And it's easy to dial in just how much mag needed as well.
Nick
Old 10-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As I understand it , the 3 to 1 ratio concept, is actually referring more to recoding a multi source situation, like overheads or room mics for a drum kit, orchestra ,or choir with a fair amount of inherent physical separation involved.
There's an ancient book about microphone design and application by Lou Burroughs where he illustrates the implementation of 3:1 in a brass section. Nobody in real life would ever set up horn players that far apart, but that's the idea.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD