The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 PM
BoneDigger's Avatar
BoneDigger BoneDigger is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 5,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Considering the Mini Charge hasn't been out that long, it seems Fishman skimped on their battery QC I really hope this JBL Compact turns out to be good considering their Eon One Pro was pretty problematic according to buyers. More companies need to use 18650 (or better) generic batteries instead of their "proprietary" blocks because it's gets difficult to replace.
The battery is actually easy enough to find a replacement for. I found one at Batteries Plus locally with no issues. But, the whole amp has to be disassembled to get to it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 PM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Considering the Mini Charge hasn't been out that long, it seems Fishman skimped on their battery QC I really hope this JBL Compact turns out to be good considering their Eon One Pro was pretty problematic according to buyers. More companies need to use 18650 (or better) generic batteries instead of their "proprietary" blocks because it's gets difficult to replace.
18650 batteries - cost is much higher then the SLA battery that Fishman is using. If building in the internal charging, it would add to the cost of amplifiers like the Fishman. Never liked having a separate charger like cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM
DavidE DavidE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
https://youtu.be/8h4bfeFt9t8?t=441

Here's a video demo of the unit that I found, sounds loud, clean and pretty impressive!
Tried embedding with timestamp but didn't work, click on the link to go direct to the music playback
I can get my EON One much louder when using it as a bluetooth speaker than I can with voice and instrument. That demo is pretty useless for musicians' purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,264
Default

Now we know the battery used...

As expected no built-in boost in the battery module (might be cheaper than Bose). I hope the voltage converter is inside the box... Or it will not be as loud when battery powered.



so we have inside 2x4 3.7V 3050mAh Li-ion cells

It's a zoom from Thoman a website's picture

I turn the picture counter clockwise so it is easier to read
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY Axoloti IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-23-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:25 PM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Now we know the battery used...

As expected no built-in boost in the battery module (might be cheaper than Bose). I hope the voltage converter is inside the box... Or it will not be as loud when battery powered.



so we have inside 2x4 3.7V 3050mAh Li-ion cells
If that is the battery spec, that is a very small battery capacity compare to other manufacturers. if voltage boost is used to get the 120WRMS? maybe 1-2 hours playing time a high volume, guess you need to carry spare batteries.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:18 PM
necrome necrome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
If that is the battery spec, that is a very small battery capacity compare to other manufacturers. if voltage boost is used to get the 120WRMS? maybe 1-2 hours playing time a high volume, guess you need to carry spare batteries.
Definitely a disappointing start!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 PM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Definitely a disappointing start!
anyone have a unit yet? the battery size is definitely a concern.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
If that is the battery spec, that is a very small battery capacity compare to other manufacturers. if voltage boost is used to get the 120WRMS? maybe 1-2 hours playing time a high volume, guess you need to carry spare batteries.
I don't know for other manufaturers but it is similar to the Bose S1 battery

Source:
https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php...Specifications

14.4v 5500mAh

However extended low end will definitely make the battery life lower. (If it can stand the current draw...).

I think that is the reason why JBL made it easy to swap battery.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY Axoloti IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 AM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I don't know for other manufaturers but it is similar to the Bose S1 battery

Source:
https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php...Specifications

14.4v 5500mAh

However extended low end will definitely make the battery life lower. (If it can stand the current draw...).

I think that is the reason why JBL made it easy to swap battery.
Bose - 40WRMS - 14.4 5500mAh
JBL - 120W - almost same size battery. is the 120W is RMS or PEAK?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-24-2019, 03:33 PM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
Bose - 40WRMS - 14.4 5500mAh
JBL - 120W - almost same size battery. is the 120W is RMS or PEAK?
JBL usually quotes peak numbers. So, my assumption is about 60 watts RMS which would put it in the ball park with the Bose S1 Pro. I guess we should expect them to be similar in performance, with the JBL having a few more features and a bigger (heavier) speaker.
__________________
Martin D-28 Marquis
Martin D-28 Custom
Guild F-512
K&K Pickups / ToneDexter / JBL Eon Amplification
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 16
Default

Another similar test from a Vietnamese website - bluetooth only:

https://youtu.be/CAp0etl4yDs

If it delivers what's on paper, for me the +48V phantom, 8 band EQ, 8" woofer, plus one extra channel vs the Bose S1 are quite a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Groberts's Avatar
Groberts Groberts is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
Another similar test from a Vietnamese website - bluetooth only:

https://youtu.be/CAp0etl4yDs

If it delivers what's on paper, for me the +48V phantom, 8 band EQ, 8" woofer, plus one extra channel vs the Bose S1 are quite a difference.
But in person, it seems to be not much different from a conventional 2-way PA speaker, albeit with battery power etc.
__________________
Martin DC-18E (Ambertone)
Martin Outlaw 17
Martin HDC-28E
Martin D-18 (2015)
Former: Martin D-41 (2018 Reimagined)
Fender CS '51 Nocaster Heavy Relic
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
PRS 594 Semi Hollow Wood Library
www.heartsoulaz.com
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:51 PM
lpa53 lpa53 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flat Rock, NC
Posts: 1,504
Default

I'm really interested in this as smaller amp to have when I don't want to use my old SA 220. I've looked for EON One Compact manuals on line but haven;t found any. Does anyone know where they can be found?

Regarding the effects, are they applied by first selecting a channel and then applying the desired levels for that channel only? Are all effects available for all channels?
__________________
1967 Aria Classical
1974 Guild D50
2009 Kenny Hill New World Player Classical
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-03-2019, 01:59 PM
BoneDigger's Avatar
BoneDigger BoneDigger is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 5,378
Default

Still excited to see some hands on comparisons between the JBL and the Bose S1 pro.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-04-2019, 03:09 AM
Per Burström Per Burström is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 146
Default

The iOS and Android apps are now available on the stores, and they can be used in demo mode:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jbl.eoncompact

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jbl-co...t/id1464116044


I'm just giving them a try.

/Per
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=