The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Default New Zoom A1 Four

New multi-effects for acoustic instruments announced by Zoom:

https://www.gearnews.com/zoom-a1-fou...c-instruments/
Old 09-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
New multi-effects for acoustic instruments announced by Zoom:

https://www.gearnews.com/zoom-a1-fou...c-instruments/
I purchased a inexpensive G1ON Zoom multi-effects to use for my guitar and to check out looping at a low budget entry level.

I waited patiently for Zoom to increase the looper time to something like 3 or 5 minutes, which would cost them next to nothing. Thirty seconds is not long enough to do anything, and they could sell a boatload of these if the looper times were longer.

As a looper it works very well and would get a lot of folks into using Zoom products if they would have bumped up the loop time.

I like Zoom products and own a Zoom R24 multi-track, but it's making me seriously doubt their ability to figure out what prospective purchasers would like to see.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I purchased a inexpensive G1ON Zoom multi-effects to use for my guitar and to check out looping at a low budget entry level.

I waited patiently for Zoom to increase the looper time to something like 3 or 5 minutes, which would cost them next to nothing. Thirty seconds is not long enough to do anything, and they could sell a boatload of these if the looper times were longer.

As a looper it works very well and would get a lot of folks into using Zoom products if they would have bumped up the loop time.

I like Zoom products and own a Zoom R24 multi-track, but it's making me seriously doubt their ability to figure out what prospective purchasers would like to see.
Even 60 seconds would be usable. 30 is way too short.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 AM

The G1four convinced me that I should consolidate into a single programmable pedal. After a few gigs I tried out its looper. Looping is not part of my performance set up but something I use at home to practice at times. It had a great two footswitch setup with a very helpful display while looping, but 30 seconds does not cut it.

So I took the big plunge, mostly to consolidate my RC-1 too, into a HX Stomp. But the HX Stomp's looper is single button (without external switches) and I miss the Zoom's display.

Now I'm killing time loading IRs and trying to optimize the EQ...

My downfall with ToneDexter was not understanding the EQ problems it attempts to solve automatically (and does a pretty good job) and not doing the final tweaks myself.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM

I very rarely loop, and only at home. I do, however, perform solo on occasion and I wonder how the acoustic modeling in this pedal stands up to the AC3.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

The 80 second looper in my G3n is just enough for practice, but I'm struggling with shaping my tone - not that I'm performing. I tried an A3 yesterday and it drove me nuts, so that's going back.

I'll buy this one and see how it goes... and continue to use the G3n for it's looper, or ditch it and buy a Jamman or RC3.

If this one did 80 seconds looping, ZOOM could potentially have saved me buying a dedicated looper... I'm a little disappointed in them and it erodes a little of my brand loyalty.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
The 80 second looper in my G3n is just enough for practice, but I'm struggling with shaping my tone - not that I'm performing. I tried an A3 yesterday and it drove me nuts, so that's going back.

I'll buy this one and see how it goes... and continue to use the G3n for it's looper, or ditch it and buy a Jamman or RC3.

If this one did 80 seconds looping, ZOOM could potentially have saved me buying a dedicated looper... I'm a little disappointed in them and it erodes a little of my brand loyalty.
There is also no way to switch into looper mode with your foot. I see the looper as a practice tool and for sound check. I think it’s unfair to expect a $140 pedal with so many features to also be an outstanding looper (although it would be nice!).

Last edited by AeroUSA; 11-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Do you guys think it is much different in its tone shaping abilities than their previous unit - Zoom A3?

AeroUSA, love the idea of using the looper to assist with the sound check. That seems to be the difference maker to me.

Hopefully the hints I dropped my wife will result in a box under the tree next month!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

To my ear the different Zoom products I've sampled seem to be using the same DSP algorithms and price buys better physical stuff (switches, displays, inputs, outputs, case, etc.).

Jon Fields
Old 11-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
There is also no way to switch into looper mode with your foot. I see the looper as a practice tool and for sound check. I think it’s unfair to expect a $140 pedal with so many features to also be an outstanding looper (although it would be nice!).
A great idea I stole from fellow forumite Jon Fields, if u stick a piece of rubber on top of the Looper button so it is above the other buttons, u could switch it on with your foot.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
A great idea I stole from fellow forumite Jon Fields, if u stick a piece of rubber on top of the Looper button so it is above the other buttons, u could switch it on with your foot.
Great idea!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:25 PM

This is the feedback that I submitted to Zoom:

I got your email from the Facebook page. My name is Aaron Short and I’m a professional gigging singer/guitarist in NYC and also have a YouTube channel where I review gear and perform.

I just heard about the A1 Four and purchased it due to the excellent value and the features which sounded very useful to me.

I have to be honest that I was not expecting too much. I own a lot of high end gear and have tried some Zoom acoustic pedals in the past which I found hard to use.

Well I have to say that I LOVE this product. The software editor (I’m very surprised that it works with MacOS Catalina already!) and design of this pedal are excellent. It’s small and light and sounds excellent. I will definitely be reviewing it on my channel soon.

I do have some feedback though and I feel there are some features that could easily be added which would make this pedal incredible.

1. It would be great if you could press the two switches together to enter tuner mode and then press them together again to enter the drum machine and one more time to enter the looper. This would allow switching modes while standing up.

2. The drum machine could be an excellent performance tool. I personally love the kick drum and djembe patterns (I would prefer the 4 kick drum pattern if it didn’t have a high hat on beat one). What this really needs is a tap tempo control. The computer editor has one! Right now the left switch starts the beat and the right switch stops it. The left switch could start AND stop and the right switch could be tap tempo (this could also set the delay tempos).

3. The EQ models are very cool but it would be nice to have an EQ block that has a LPF, HPF two parametric mid controls (with q control) and a bass and treble. This one block would be extremely powerful as a tone shaping measure.

I feel these three firmware changes could really make this pedal even better than it already is.

In future hardware it would be great if a second pedal with 2/3 extra buttons could be connected and also it would be cool if you made a pedal for singers that could be connected to the guitar pedal and work alongside it. TC Helicon used to make excellent vocal processors but they haven’t released any products in a long time. Also a way to load IR’s would be cool.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Would love to hear from anyone else that has actually tried this pedal out live.
I am worried that Zoom tried to pack soooo much into this pedal at such a low price point, that there just has to be a bunch of show stoppers, such as the 30 second looping limit or the inability to turn the looper on and off with your feet.
The fact that it has all these effects, plus modeling, plus a looper, plus a tuner and all for only $129 is mind blowing to me. My skeptical side says that they must have cut a lot of corners.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Would love to hear from anyone else that has actually tried this pedal out live.
I am worried that Zoom tried to pack soooo much into this pedal at such a low price point, that there just has to be a bunch of show stoppers, such as the 30 second looping limit or the inability to turn the looper on and off with your feet.
The fact that it has all these effects, plus modeling, plus a looper, plus a tuner and all for only $129 is mind blowing to me. My skeptical side says that they must have cut a lot of corners.
I gigged for a few months with the A1 four version (intended for electric guitars, but for acoustic only missing the acoustic guitar impulse responses). I think once you pick it up you will understand what they cut out :~). If you are reasonably careful it should be fine. I found the UI and menus classic cryptic Zoom. But from the sound of the effects, and the same selection as more expensive products, I am pretty sure that part is the same.

More or less features these days is a bit more or less read only and random access memory. Basically free compared to the total cost of the product.

Clearly they want you to buy up if you want a longer looper. I think this choice of theirs was a marketing error.

Jon Fields
Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Care to elaborate instead of leaving it up for guessing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think once you pick it up you will understand what they cut out :~). If you are reasonably careful it should be fine. I found the UI and menus classic cryptic Zoom. But from the sound of the effects, and the same selection as more expensive products, I am pretty sure that part is the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification