The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Helix vs Headrush

Hi there, guys!

I'm just curious about changing from a stompbox pedalboard (Strymon Timeline, Mobius and Bigsky, Empress Para EQ and Compressor, LR Baggs Session DI and TC Polytune) into something like a Helix or Headrush.

So my doubts are the following:

Have you guys tried both of them? What are the differences?

And are the small format (Helix Stomp/Headrush Gigboard) worst than the bigger ones (Helix Floor/Headrush Pedalboard)?

I don't know if it would be a better option, and I can't test them, since in Brazil we don't have the return policy like in the US.

Thank you very much!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:06 AM

I've been using an HX Stomp for a few months as my only pedal for performing. One of the reasons I went with the HX Stomp was its small size and I did not seriously consider the (physically larger) alternatives in its price class.

A forum member, Cuki79, made some custom IRs for my guitars and pickups which the HX Stomp handles perfectly. The HX IR block includes programmable low and high cut, mix, and gain. I am also using the parametric EQ to tame the mic/top and mic/body resonances inherent in the IR generation process. It is nice being able to tune these yourself to your tastes at a gig. ToneDexter does this automatically which means regenerating the IR with a different mic placement in order to fine tune.

The effects I've tried are all excellent. The compressor and tuner are real standouts compared to the pedals they replaced.

Most effects are programmable in real units, Hz, dB, Q (actually unitless), etc. which I really like compared to Zoom's many arbitrary scales, for example.

It comes with a nonstandard 3 amp, 5.5/2.5mm OD/ID, 9 volt, negative tip, power supply. I measured the Stomp's power consumption at ~10 watts worst case and it is well within the capability of a higher power wall wart power supply. I am using a Godlyke Power-all (2 amps, ~18 watts) and this adapter:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not played much electric guitar in the last 10 years but picked up an inexpensive Strat after buying this pedal. The Tube Screamer, Fender Spring Reverb, Fender Deluxe Reverb, into my CP8 sounds great. I went to the local Guitar Center to get some sense of the real thing. Nothing struck me as inauthentic but I was blown away at how much lighter and smaller a modern pedal and FRFR speaker are compared to even a small tube amp.

My current hobby project is brushing up on digital signal processing (I had that course in college in 1977) and seeing how hard it would be to write Matlab code to generate IRs at home. I'm about 25% through the used textbook I bought.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-18-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:55 AM

I have never owned the head rush or even tried it out but I researched both before buying the Full Helix floor unit. From my research I thought the Helix was the best option. It is user friendly as far as the basic operation of it. It sounds great, fun to play with and an endless amount of options. I was not disappointed. It doesn’t get used anymore since I try to go light and simple when I play at church. I would recommend it to anyone though.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-18-2019, 10:49 AM

I had the the Helix and prefer my Strymon pedals over it. Menu diving is not my thing. There are youtube videos comparing the Helix to Strymon pedals where the Helix gets close, but loses. Both the Helix and Headrush are geared toward metal heads and rock bands, so you barely tap into the potential for the acoustic verses price. The HX stomp is the closest to the value for acoustic, but still will not sound as good as Strymon delays and reverbs.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 AM

The HX Stomp menu takes some practice. Instead of a single entry point and deep menus it has several entry points. Once you've memorized which buttons (and combinations) bring up the appropriate menu you're set.

For performance it is hard for me to imagine better effects. Maybe in a recording environment there is something better to be had.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

If you mean for acoustic then the HX Stomp is a good choice but I would add the two button external footswitch as well. If you are talking about electric then I would go for the Kemper stage. It’s out of this world compared to the rest.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Being completely sincere, I was thinking about the Helix or Headrush because of the Impulse Response of it. I don't know how to use it, but I've seen a few videos on youtube, and the difference is HUGE!

I would love to have my strymons, empress, etc., AND a pedal for IRs. But all my pedals AND a Helix/Headrush is kind of overkill. I just don't know if there is a way (or a smaller pedal) to use it. I just see people using IRs with Helix or Headrush.

Do you guys know something specific for the IRs?

If there is any, I would keep my Strymon trio (Mobius, Timeline and Bigsky), my Empress combo (Para EQ and Compressor) and my LR Baggs session as DI... and would just add the pedal for the IRs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification