The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Wireless wonít work. Polarity?

Just got a LTD Thinline, and plugged it into a Marshall AS-50D with a G-10 wireless. No signal. Battery good-it works fine with a chord. Other guitars work as well.

A friend had a similar experience with an acoustic/electric, and it turned out the guitars jack polarity was non-standard. Just curious, as Iím perfectly happy just using a cord. Any thoughts?

Dave F
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Possibly the guitar (TRS?) female jack that power ups its preamp and the the wireless bug's male jack (TRS?) that powers it up are not compatible (both might be expecting the other to ground the ring). A female 1/4" TS to male 1/4" TS cable (mono extension cable) might fix things up.

2017 RainSong CH-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
2018 RainSong CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
2019 RainSong V-DR1100N2
2019 Fender Player Strat

Taped Passive HFN, Elixir PB11, D'Addario EXL110

1 QSC CP8 high/behind
Duo gigging no mixer 2 SM58>Y>CP8, HFN>HxStomp(Cuki79 IR)>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

jonfields45@gmail.com
www.justsoduo.com
Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I don't know about the one you're using, but SOME wireless systems don't work with active electronics. I use an Xvive wireless system for my electrics, which are both passive. My one electrified acoustic is active and the wireless doesn't work at all with it. Which is fine because I almost never plug it in, so when I do I'm happy enough using a cable. That may not be what's going on, but it might be worth looking into...

-Ray
Old 11-15-2019, 07:59 AM

You can get a nice little right angle adapter that will potentially solve that problem - but Iíve found the G10 is not the most compatible wireless unit -

https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/8-23-custom-guitars
https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/san...richard-hoover
https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/lun...ith-rick-barto
Old 11-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Ray, thatís exactly whatís happening. I tried it with another active system, and same thing. Surprised thereís no mention of that anywhere. I never bought the revised polarity explanation, as that is a universal standard. Guess Iíll just have to keep a cord handy. No problem, been doing it that way 40 years!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification