The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Changing Bridge String Spacing

I have a Martin dreadnought that I love, but I am leaning towards increasing the string spacing to match that of my other dread I love, which has a 2 5/16 inch bridge string spacing.

Current spacing on the first guitar is 2 1/4 inch at the bridge, spec’d and measured. 12th fret fretboard width is also 2 1/4 inch spec’d and measured. String spacing at the 12th fret looks to be at 1 7/8 inch. Nut is 1 3/4 inch spec’d and measured.

If I increase the bridge spacing to 2 5/16 inch. I should have enough clearance up the fretboard to prevent the outside strings rolling off, correct? It looks like I have plenty of room to work with, and I assume the most the strings would move outward would be 1/32 inch on both sides, getting smaller incrementally closer to the nut.

Is plugging and redrilling the way to go? I thought I read once that Norman Blake simply had his saddle slotted to increase spacing. Thoughts and experiences on this are much appreciated. I would likely have the work done when I take the guitar in for an Evo Gold refret.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:12 AM

Careful notching of the saddle is a great solution to this "problem" because it is easily reversible, and aside from slightly greater chance of string breakage, it generally works well.

Frank Ford
Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 PM

It you’re like me you’ll find that a very slight movement of the outer strings toward the edge of the fingerboard will make a much different feel. IMO a tiny change makes a noticeable difference.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:47 PM

The measurements you cited are the same as most all 14 fret Martins from 1934 until mid-1939:
1 3/4 nut
2 1/4 width at 12th fret
2 5/16 bridge pin spacing
The 2 1/4 bridge spacing is a modern Martin spec that was never used on prewar models.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:10 PM

This was a Custom Shop build. I loved the 2 1/4 inch spacing of the Eric Clapton model and requested that spacing on an HD-28 with an Adirondack top and standard position bracing. I subsequently bought a used D-18GE which of course has the 2 5/16 inch spacing. For two years IÂ’ve gone back and forth as to which spacing I prefer, and while the 2 5/16 inch spacing has taken the lead, I think what I really want is to settle in on one spacing and stick with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair