The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Default Slothead Tuner Question

I have an Altamira M20D I bought a few years back. Slothead, 3-on-a-plate unknown brand tuners. My question is about replacement tuning machines.

Nothing wrong with my current OEM tuners. But I'm wondering about interchangeability. In the mandolin world, tuners come 4 on a plate and roller size and spacing have been standardized for decades, so that if I want to replace the worm under tuners on my F5 I know that any mfrs tuners for the same application will fit, though the bushings may not.

On a 6 string slothead GJ guitar is it similar? Are the different mfrs tuners interchangeable? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:58 PM

What does the post spacing have to do with replacing the worm though?

To answer your question though.. Yes. Kind of. Most guitar tuners these days have the same post spacing. The post diameter is something to watch out for. Some have bushings and some don't.

If a guitar has a slot head but not 3 on a plate tuners then you probably won't be able to match up 3 on a plate as the spacing might be different for the individual slot head tuners.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What does the post spacing have to do with replacing the worm though?
These are 3-on-a-plate tuning machines. As originally stated. These type have a fixed post (roller) spacing. I said nothing about replacing the worm gear; as originally stated there's nothing wrong with the current tuners. It doesn't make sense to me to disassemble a tuner to replace just the shaft and worm. The term "worm under tuner" refers to the relative position of the shaft worm and roller pinion. On a "worm under", when you view the back of the headstock with instrument hanging down you'll see the shaft worm is below the roller pinion. "Worm over" is the opposite. It makes a difference on mandolins regarding whether the tuners will fit on the headstock or if the plate will overhang.

Quote:
If a guitar has a slot head but not 3 on a plate tuners then you probably won't be able to match up 3 on a plate as the spacing might be different for the individual slot head tuners.
These are 3-on-a-plate tuning machines. As originally stated. One option could be to use individual tuners (3-on-a-side, not on a common plate) but there would have to be enough room for each individual mounting plate and still align with the existing roller holes. Something I'm skeptical of.

Last edited by Mandobart; 09-21-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 PM

Typically on guitars the worm gear is below the post in the direction of string pull. It can't hurt to measure to be sure but they probably are 1 3/8th in spacing center to center. If so then you can replace with pretty much any modern 3 on a plate tuner.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Typically on guitars the worm gear is below the post in the direction of string pull. It can't hurt to measure to be sure but they probably are 1 3/8th in spacing center to center. If so then you can replace with pretty much any modern 3 on a plate tuner.
Thanks for the info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair