The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Les Paul robotuner replacement

Looked at some YouTube videos, but is this an easy job? I have an LP Studio with Gforce tuners I would like replace with regular tuners. Recommendations????

Thanks jed
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Looked at some YouTube videos, but is this an easy job? I have an LP Studio with Gforce tuners I would like replace with regular tuners. Recommendations????

Thanks jed
While not a Les Paul, I did replace the Gforce on my SG HP with Hipshot locking tuners when one of the robo heads stripped out on me. The 3+3 tuners I bought came with Hipshot's Universal Mounting Plate, so there's no need to drill holes for screws-although the screws are included if you decide you need or want to permanently mount them. I bought the open backed locking set that are 18:1(the closed back are 15:1) and I've been impressed with them. They stay in tune and the other benefit was the weight reduction compared to the Gforce, almost a full ounce less. And while that doesn't seem like a lot of weight, that one ounce made a huge difference with the infamous SG neck dive.

As far as putting them on, it took me about 10 minutes or so to take off the Gforce and install the Hipshots. The Universal Mounting Plate is the saving grace with these tuners. They come in 2 sections for each side and they correctly position the tuners as well as locking them in. It makes installation a breeze when you don't want to drill your headstock.

Here's a Link to Hipshot if you're interested.
Several of those new fangled electrics:
PRS
Gibson
Fender
Gretsch
Old 05-09-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister View Post
While not a Les Paul, I did replace the Gforce on my SG HP with Hipshot locking tuners when one of the robo heads stripped out on me. The 3+3 tuners I bought came with Hipshot's Universal Mounting Plate, so there's no need to drill holes for screws-although the screws are included if you decide you need or want to permanently mount them. I bought the open backed locking set that are 18:1(the closed back are 15:1) and I've been impressed with them. They stay in tune and the other benefit was the weight reduction compared to the Gforce, almost a full ounce less. And while that doesn't seem like a lot of weight, that one ounce made a huge difference with the infamous SG neck dive.

As far as putting them on, it took me about 10 minutes or so to take off the Gforce and install the Hipshots. The Universal Mounting Plate is the saving grace with these tuners. They come in 2 sections for each side and they correctly position the tuners as well as locking them in. It makes installation a breeze when you don't want to drill your headstock.

Here's a Link to Hipshot if you're interested.
Thank you very much. Looking now
Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 AM

You can replace these with anything that has holes that line up, or use the aforementioned adapter system. I'm a big fan of Gotoh tuners myself.

I just wanted to caution about Gibson head-stocks...they can be fragile along the line of the post holes and at the bend between the neck & headstock. It should be OK as long as you don't horse on it too hard. If in doubt, take it to a guitar tech with experience...it's actually a very easy job and they shouldn't charge too much.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
You can replace these with anything that has holes that line up, or use the aforementioned adapter system. I'm a big fan of Gotoh tuners myself.

I just wanted to caution about Gibson head-stocks...they can be fragile along the line of the post holes and at the bend between the neck & headstock. It should be OK as long as you don't horse on it too hard. If in doubt, take it to a guitar tech with experience...it's actually a very easy job and they shouldn't charge too much.
Thanks for information.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Grovers with the threaded barrels are a direct fit--as are any similar tuners with 10mm diameter mounting hardware.

You will need to drill small holes for mounting screws on the back of the headstock. *Take extraordinary precautions* to prevent drilling all the way through to the face of the headstock. One way is to wrap a little piece of tape on the drill bit to let you know when you've gone deep enough.

So-called 'vintage' tuners with the press-fit bushings won't work unless you also get 10mm conversion bushings.

When you remove the robotuner module, you'll see the PC board traces have left impressions in the lacquer finish on the rear of the headstock. Resist all inclinations to smooth that out by wet sanding and polishing. This imprint looks goofy, but it disappears over time and the finish levels out. After a few months there will be no trace of the robotuner ever having been on there.

Last edited by Peegoo; 05-23-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spellng

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars