The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2000, 11:03 AM

Post The non Taylors

Okay, I'll be the first. . . one is the Larrivee C-09 (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce w/tiger maple binding) with D'Andrea Brass EZ-Pegs on the 4 wound strings (with the abalone "eyes" to match the abalone rosette around the soundhole) (with similar abalone soundhole rossettes, it ahd the Taylor look very much like cousins), and an ebony John Pearse armrest to keep my forearm from damping the top's vibration. This is the one equipped with the LR Baggs Dual Source system.

I bought the Larrivee in order to give the Taylor's neck a rest from the constant moving from standard to open tunings, and back.

The other is a Martin 0001 (solid spruce top and mahogany back w/laminated mahogany sides) "tortise shell-like" body binding, brass EZ-Pegs on the 4 wound strings) equipped (for now) with a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker soundhole pickup.

All three (including my 612C) are effortless to play, with the Taylor still being the easiest. The Martin has that round, warm midrange sound of the smaller bodies. The Larrivee is the deepest and richest of the three. All three have different personalities, and the trick is to find the best "musical platform" for each (which open tunings, styles, etc.). All three seem to compliment each other nicely.

Brett
Old 09-15-2000, 03:19 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Brett. I've played Larrivee guitars before, and they are great guitars, especially at their price point. They also come with really nice cases like the Taylor and a bonus is that great big thick polish cloth they ship with the guitars. That's a nice touch.

The other non-Taylor guitars that I own are an Epiphone PR-7E, which is an all-birdseye maple acoustic guitar. Until I bought my first Taylor, this was my main guitar. The action is great and it sounds pretty darn good acoustically, too. Now my wife is using this guitar to learn how to play.

The other is a La Patrie Classical guitar (made my Godin), which I think is a great sounding classical, though It could use a little better intonation.

J.R.
Old 09-16-2000, 01:04 PM

Thumbs up

I have a Guild JF-55 12 string that I love very much. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides.

I played a lot of different 12 strings while shopping for one, Taylors, Martins, Gibsons and others, but the Guild played and sounded better than any of them.

The thing is built like a tank. Pretty heavy, but I don't care. It has incredible volume and tone, and the way it's built, I don't worry about the guitar pulling itself apart from string tension like I've seen some other 12 strings do.

Oh yeah, at $1500 bucks it was also one of the cheapest 12 strings I tried out. I think Guild guitars are very good instruments at very reasonable prices.

I also own an Ovation 1992 Collector Edition 6 string acoustic/electric which I like a lot, and an old (20 years old) Ibanez six string. I bought the Ibanez in 1980 for $500 bucks and it still plays sweet, the neck is still perfect, and it's just an all 'round good old guitar.
Old 09-19-2000, 09:09 PM

Is this the confession section? My "other" guitar (next to the 414CE) is also a Guild: a mid-seventies F412BLD. It plays like butter, sounds like a pipe organ, and... it cost me a paltry $800 on eBay. I was nervous about buying a guitar -- especially an older one -- long distance, but a reassuring exchange of emails convinced me, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

------------------
DD
Old 09-19-2000, 11:37 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Sounds like a nice guitar, David. You're always taking a chance buying on Ebay. Always deal with someone who has high feedback, or demand C.O.D. or Escrow if they don't have any feedback history to back them up. 99.99999% of the deals go through on Ebay without a hitch, but theres always those looking to commit fraud. I've had nothing but good luck on Ebay except for the occasional deadbeat bidder.

J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:19 AM

I've had nothing but good luck on eBay, both buying and selling. I've only been unhappy with two purchases, and in both cases the sellers made things right. I've heard a few horror stories, but on balance I'm real pleased with the system.

------------------
DD
Doing the work of three men -- Larry, Moe, and Curly.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:17 PM

I own several guitars besides my two Taylors.(Taylors are a 712 and a 555)
My favorite is a Larrivee D-10 Deluxe with a Gryphon inlay on the headstock. I also own several Martins, a Langejans(handmade walnut body done by Del Langejans in Holland, MI) and it is a beauty with a Baggs Dual Source in it. It is a great guitar. Also have a '77 Mossman Winter Wheat and a couple of older Gibsons. And a National Delphi that I scare the neighbor's dog with.
Old 10-19-2000, 09:43 PM

In order of purchase:
Seagull s6
Taylor 512
Baby Taylor
Godin Multiac Duet
Taylor W14C
Old 11-10-2000, 03:47 AM

Takamine G-230, el cheapo.
Taylor 615ce - The Main Axe!

The Tak doesn't sound too bad for a plywood guitar. But the Taylor makes me want to give the Tak to an unfortunate kid or something. I'll keep it around, though to use outdoors and where ever else I'm afraid to take my Taylor.

Chuck
Old 11-10-2000, 12:25 PM

Wink

Besides my Les Paul Deluxe and MIM Std. Telecaster...
Applause 12-string acoustic/electric
Ovation CC74 acoustic/electric Bass
Takamine CD-132SC acoustic/electric classical
Slammer/Hamer Chaparral 4 Bass
Key Mandolin
...not much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification