The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Haven't had a land line since fall of '03 - cut the line and never looked back.

At the time I was paying a lot more then 30 bucks a month because of long distance.

That said I'm a luddite who still has a flip phone that does only cost 30 a month!

Old 09-27-2022, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

We were thinking about getting rid of ours, then my wife
dug the old rotary dial phone from 1957 out of my drawer and
hooked it up. It is more pleasant to talk to the telemarketers now...

-Mike
Old 09-27-2022, 03:10 PM

yea keep it cuz I was thinking I'm really missing the 1,000s of robo calls we got before we dumped ours!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-27-2022, 03:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

We still have a landline. When we moved a few years ago from rural to suburban living near my parent’s home of 45 years where I spent my adolescent/young adult years, when Mom passed away and Dad sold, we were able to acquire their/my old phone number at our new house...nostalgia...and it doesn’t cost much as part of a bundle. Actually, I’ve been advocating to drop the landline, but my wife prefers not to...for the emergency situations and it’s not bad to have a backup if the other were to go down. One thing I prefer about a landline though...the voice quality is better and no drop-outs. Sometimes I hate having a cellphone conversation because the quality can be so poor. Actually it can be quite aggravating. For whatever reason, we don’t get many spam calls on the landline, we get more on our cells.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-27-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Here in the UK, I've had a lanline in this house and the previous place since 1979.

At one time we used to get nuisance calles, so we got a new BT set (five handsets) with the BT "Call minder" system, so unkown callers have to announce themselves before I accept the call. No more nuisance calls.

I am unhappy with my broadband now but awaiting the availability of Cityfibre to the house, but I have noticed that some ISPs don't support landlines.

We are old folks. We are used to the landline, but not always aware of where our mobiles are.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:21 PM

I have a landline only because it came with the xfinity pkg I have. Since the Mrs has agreed with me to dump cable, the landline goes too. Soon as Ian is out of here we’ll be heading to the local Comcast office.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Hey Blueser, since you still have a landline, IÂ’ll offer one potential benefit to consider.
We still have a landline (despite getting grief about it from our kids every time they visit) but we do use it sort of.
Generally I only give my cell number to friends, family and occasional “must have situation”. So landline no. Is what I give to service providers on applications, doctors offices, and use for on line ordering etc. And yes most of the calls we get on the landline are junk but the ringer is off and real callers can leave a message. So what’s the benefit? Well I basically never get spam or other junk calls/texts on my cell phone ever! Maybe folks with only a cell phone have defeated the scammers but I know a lot of folks who haven’t and spend half their day blocking scam no’s.
I suspect my luck will run out one day but until then IÂ’ll keep paying a few bucks for the landline YMMV of course😃
Old 09-27-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
My wife says we're keeping our landline; so that's a good reason.
Same here, and you know what, I’m good with it.
I get a sense of some braggadocio from a few of those who got rid of them and that’s cool.

“I got rid of mine a million years ago.”

Congratulations, you win…I guess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-27-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:15 PM

I have a land line
Old 09-27-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

We kept our landline until about 10 years ago. I would have shut it off earlier, but I really needed the ability to make international calls to England.

Then I came across Ooma - it’s an internet-connected device (technically VOIP, I guess) which allowed me to port my landline number to it, and make all the long-distance calls I want for about $6 a month. Best of all, international calls are at a very low rate (currently 2.8c/min to the UK), so I saved a ton of money by shutting off the landline and moving to Ooma. It’s set up to forward calls to my cellphone, which will also work if the home network is down. And, I can use my existing Panasonic wireless phones with it.

Highly recommended, if your needs are similar. If it wasn’t for international calling, though, I’d have just canceled the landline and stuck to cell.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-27-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
We still have a landline. When we moved a few years ago from rural to suburban living near my parent’s home of 45 years where I spent my adolescent/young adult years, when Mom passed away and Dad sold, we were able to acquire their/my old phone number at our new house...nostalgia...and it doesn’t cost much as part of a bundle. Actually, I’ve been advocating to drop the landline, but my wife prefers not to...for the emergency situations and it’s not bad to have a backup if the other were to go down. One thing I prefer about a landline though...the voice quality is better and no drop-outs. Sometimes I hate having a cellphone conversation because the quality can be so poor. Actually it can be quite aggravating. For whatever reason, we don’t get many spam calls on the landline, we get more on our cells.
We keep the landline for the same reasons. It doesn't cost much as part of the bundle, and it's handy to have that solid backup at home.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Mine is long gone. Since then my whole house has gone through remodeling and painting. We don't even have a socket to plug into anymore.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-27-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I kept mine for a long time, only because Comcast offered a package that was cheaper if I kept it, but it was always unplugged. About a year ago, they changed that package and it was cheaper w/o the landline, so away it went. Haven't missed it. I have a Google Voice number I give out to people I don't really want to talk to.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:24 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
As long as I've had a cell phone (many years) I've kept the landline It seems a waste of money that could be better put toward other things.

Anyone here discontinue their landline?
After 33 years I got rid of it last year. Don't miss it in the least
Old 09-27-2022, 09:05 PM

I’ve never had a landline in my adult life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic