The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-28-2022, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
That's a creative side gig...$100 sounds cheap unless you only have $50. Screwing/holding up sheets of plywood is not a job for the weak or elderly. The permanent shutters really make the process easier if they are affordable. It's always good to check on your neighbors.
Yes, when I read $100 that didn't seem bad, but then I though of all the folks for whom that's a ton of money and are in the path of the storm. Hope there are enough senior facilities and help for the less fortunate in the area to help those people.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
After 10 years wintering in Fort Myers Beach, along with a couple of close calls with Maria’s eye coming within 5 mi. of our place and a tornado having destroyed 100+ homes in a nearby park about a year ago, we sold last spring. Weather events were a consideration, but there were other important factors.

Watching those past events from afar in Canada was stressful, but better than being in the danger zone. With the current trajectory of Ian, we’re glad we’re not stressing about it, though we are quite concerned about friends we still have there. Maria was supposed to spawn a 15’ surge that never happened. I hope for the same this time.

We hope for the best for any of you who live or own property in the line of fire. Take care!
Just received an update from a friend in Fort Myers Beach that the park where we owned and recently sold our home has 4 ft. of water in them, even in the ones on higher pilings like ours was (4 ft. above ground, 7 ft. above sea level). Devastating for so many. Many don’t have insurance. We did, but by the time clean-up and claims get settled, likely it won’t be a winter destination for some time to come. So sad!
Old 09-28-2022, 02:50 PM

Tom, I thought of you and your well timed sale! The videos are incredible. We have friends there but further inland and so far so good. But so much destruction. Sad.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Email update from a friend in Fort Myers Beach. The high-rises he’s referring to are homes on 4’ pilings with about 9’ ceilings. So that’s 13’ plus the 3’ above sea level of the region, so 16’ of storm surge. Just terrible!

“Catastrophic damage from the coast to I75, many in the park who didn’t leave are now stranded on roofs or dead. High rises with water to the ceiling. Read on Facebook residents going to the roof of their mobile home because water was to the top of the carport. Who could ever imagine it could be so bad. We’re the lucky ones we have a home up north. The ones I feel sorry for are those living in the community and fort Myers beach was their home. For years it was cheap living. Many, even though they had insurance will never collect, the hurricane winds caused zero damage in fort Myers, it was the storm surge and most don’t have flood insurance, they have insurance for hurricane,fire,theft.”
Old 09-29-2022, 05:40 AM

Living in North Central Ohio seems better all the time.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers for Floridians and those who live on the east coast who will be affected.
We have family and friends in all those areas.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2022, 05:38 AM

@FLRon how did you make out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic