The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Hip Replacement Coming Up Soon

Hi:

Just found out I need a total hip arthroplasty (anterior approach).... scheduled for 3 weeks from now. I wonder if anyone can weigh in on how the recovery went? I worked in the OR (anesthesia) for ~ 35 years so I know what the surgery looks like but didn't have as much insight into the longer term recovery part.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I had awesome results, first one six years ago, the other two years ago. Riding bike, walking pain free. One week recovery for me.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
I had awesome results, first one six years ago, the other two years ago. Riding bike, walking pain free. One week recovery for me.
Holy cow! That's awesome! Thanks
Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 PM

It was NOT 1 week for me. In a week, I was walking again, however. But the entire process was a couple of months before it felt "right".

Be sure to do exactly what your physical therapist tells you.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Best thing I ever did. Well worth it, and will totally help your overall health. Imperative, as previously said, be vigilant with physical therapy. You won't regret it.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:21 PM

I had my right hip done with the anterior approach last summer and by the end of the first week I was walking 3/4 mile twice a day. By the beginning of the third month i was back to folk dancing. I had very little pain and the replacement felt great from the first day.
Good luck. It is life changing surgery.
Best,
Barb
Old 09-08-2022, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi CRNAZZ,

I have had both of my hip joints replaced. Both went well. I had trouble with the pain killers and ended up taking nothing but Extra Strength Tylenol, which is mostly useless. But I did fine.

- Glenn
Old 09-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback.... It all sounds very encouraging.
Looking forward to getting it done! I am WAY over the limping and insane amount of pain at night... and WHY at night?? So hard to sleep with someone hammering at my hip for hours.

I appreciate the support here at AGF! Thank you again for the responses!
Old 09-09-2022, 04:40 AM

I had the left hip done a year and half ago. Nothing but positive results. I listened to my doctors and didn't push things - but now I swim three times a week, ride my electric bike, do Tai Chi, walk an hour a day, and play guitar and banjo three or four hours every morning.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Right hip replaced in February of this year...nothing but good results. But I do get some "clicking" which I'm told can happen but I'd trade that any day for pain free. The first week post op is kinda rough and then it's exponentially better each week there after.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-09-2022, 07:21 AM

A lot of recovery depends on your age, existing physical condition and the uniqueness of each individual.
My right hip surgery was robotic and went very smoothly. You’re up and walking after you come around post surgery and they make sure you can get in and out of a car before you are allowed to leave. I went home a few hours after my surgery.
I didn’t do well on the Oxycodone, so I soon quit taking it. The pain was bearable after a few days. My rehab went well.
It took about a month to get to where I was 80% and another few months to get 90%. After a year, I was 100%.
It’s all relatively easy these days.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-09-2022, 08:19 AM

I had the anterior approach done 3 years ago at 66. I'm 5'7" and was 195 a couple months before the surgery. I did the pre surgery exercises twice a day and lost 25 lbs with small dietary changes by the surgery date. I walked with a cane a day later. I did the home therapy 2x's a day at home along with the outpatient therapy. Everything went well. I was functioning pretty good but refrained from running and jumping. my thigh was slightly numb for a couple years. This year I've been playing more golf. I walk for 9 holes but ride for 18-27 holes. Lots of yard work and some canoeing. I still do the stretches regularly. My numbness is mostly gone and I'm walking without a hitch. I have returned to my pre surgery weight. Can't have everything I guess. Be active with your recovery. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

They had me walking as soon as the dizziness from the anesthesia wore off. And the discomfort was very bearable to walk on that new hip joint compared to the worn out natural hip joint. It was an instant relief.

I waited too long to have my first hip joint, the left, replaced. When it came to the right hip joint, I did not let it get so bad, and now, years later, I can feel the difference. My right hip joint feels much more natural. I have loss some movement ability on my left side because I did too much damage before the surgery.

Still, I am in pretty good shape for a 74-year-old guy. Yesterday I spent 2 1/2 hours up in the deep woods behind my house cutting and splitting firewood from a huge downed western Hemlock. I had to split the rounds because they were too heavy to pick up and get into the pickup truck. So if I can do that, you know my hips are in reasonably good shape. I am, however, very deliberate and careful up there with a chain saw and a splitting maul.

Best of luck on this surgery!

- Glenn
Old 09-09-2022, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for all your helpful replies! I truly appreciate the support.

I have a "theory" as to why I need this replacement, in case you're interested.
I have had some mild right hip pain off and on for the past year. Did PT, saw an orthopedist, and got x-rays which showed "mild" osteoarthritis both hips - just this past March.

End of June I got a steroid injection into my right hip in anticipation of lots of hiking planned as part of a Mediterranean cruise - the off-shore excursions.
After arriving in Italy to board, my travel companion got COVID so we had to cancel the cruise, wait till results were COVID negative, then fly home.

One month later, the right hip pain was almost unbearable (and still is...). Got more hip x-rays and, this time, the right hip revealed end stage osteoarthritis.

Crazy it went from "mild" to "severe" in 5 months.

Soooo, I think the steroid injection, while being a reasonable intervention, caused a crazy exacerbation of the arthritis. I'm going to see if my orthopedic surgeon agrees when I see him pre-op....??
Old 09-12-2022, 09:30 AM

I’ve had hip resurfacing on both hips, about two years apart. Longest part was getting my energy back and not feeling tired all the time. Age might play a part.

Good luck1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic