The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-29-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
You're missing the point I was trying to make. Whether people lived there has nothing to do with the 'can-do' pioneering spirit of the people that set about 'taming' those lands. The idea of the old can-do spirit somehow taming space is bordering on certifiable delusionary!
I understood your point perfectly well.

I just think the analogy is ill-judged.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I understood your point perfectly well.

I just think the analogy is ill-judged.
Hmm ... your comment about people already being there suggests otherwise.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
and ludicrously entertaining the possibility setting up house somewhere else and starting over
Quote:
The idea of the old can-do spirit somehow taming space is bordering on certifiable delusionary!
Those statements are right up there with these:

"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr. Epstein" - Richard Paul Rowe is historically presented in popular musical history as the man who did not sign the Beatles.

“Everything that can be invented, has been invented.” –Charles Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Patent Office, 1899.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Those statements are right up there with these:

"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr. Epstein" - Richard Paul Rowe is historically presented in popular musical history as the man who did not sign the Beatles.

“Everything that can be invented, has been invented.” –Charles Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Patent Office, 1899.
I hear what you're saying about bad predictions and nay-saying, and I'm a great believer in our ability to solve problems. That said, I'm not sure one can make a useful comparison between the popularity of guitar groups and the challenges of settling interstellar space.

The prediction about the downfall of guitar groups was informed by subjective preferences and trends, whereas the most significant technical and scientific challenges in human history inform the colonizing another planet(s).
Old 09-29-2022, 07:39 PM

The frontier myth in American history. Rugged individualism. We can solve every problem. Good luck with that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fron...of%20expansion.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 09-30-2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Hmm ... your comment about people already being there suggests otherwise.
?????.

We appear to be talking at cross purposes. No big deal.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That said, I'm not sure one can make a useful comparison between the popularity of guitar groups and the challenges of settling interstellar space.
Perhaps true, but it's entertaining to consider the possibility of a similar retrospective 20-20 vision.

"Trying may not guarantee success, but not trying absolutely guarantees failure".
Old 09-30-2022, 07:32 PM

I have my doubts that humans will actually colonize off planet (be it moon or mars). Perhaps way down the line.

That said, I do believe we can significantly improve this planet using viable space technology. By that I mean a concentrated effort to bring the cost down to get mass to low to medium earth orbit. SpaceX is well on the way as they have cut the cost from $10,000 per pound to $1,200 per pound.

If that can be maintained and the nations of the world work together (THAT is the sticking point) it is very possible we could move a huge amount of industrial capacity to orbit. Imagine no more mining. Imagine moving electrical generation so no more burning coal, or oil.

These ARE possible. It would just cost trillions and that is what prevents it happening. We do have the resources and the money, but not the willingness to actually work together globally.

Of course it would take years to build a serious industrial capacity in orbit. But it could be done and it would dramatically improve the planet. That is not colonization.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic