The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Venting about stuff

OK, I'm opening this thread for any and all who'd like to vent about stuff they can't do anything about. (Remember the forum rules, though...no politics or religion.)

I'll kick things off:

1. I didn't win the $1.34 billion lottery this week.

2. I turned 72 on Thursday. Notified the media. They didn't care.

3. This morning at 5 a.m., my wife and I got out to water the yard (hand watering only on weekends during water restrictions) and both her expandable hose AND mine blew up. Same day. Almost the same time. What are the odds? Anybody know of a brand of these hoses that lasts more than a couple of years? This is getting ridiculous.

OK...who's next.

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 07-31-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post

2. I turned 72 on Thursday. Notified the media. They didn't care.
Did you call a press conference? Ya gotta call a press conference. Or have your people do it . . . You do have people, right? Then set up a podium with some mics on your front lawn. Can’t miss!
Old 07-31-2022, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Why is everything my fault and why is she always right?
Old 07-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm venting about TV programming. There's nothing on TV that I'm interested in watching until the start of college and pro football, which is about 4-5 weeks from now. TV has been really bad this year.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:04 PM

Question Venting?

1. Why are drivers on all roads getting crazier with running red lights, etc.?

2. Can new cars and trucks get more insanely priced?

3. Is American grown wheat inferior to European grown?

Old 07-31-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post

3. Is American grown wheat inferior to European grown?
Dunno. But you got your soft wheat (grown IIRC around Kansas and on north), and then you got your hard wheat (grown down here in Texas and other parts of the southwest. Soft is supposed to be superior to hard for pastries, but just bringing the subject up around some chefs could cause riots. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Dirk
Old 07-31-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Is it ok to "vent" about good things? If so:

1) I started taking checking my blood sugar level and insulin, and the process isn't as bad as I thought.

2) I got a great night's sleep last night - first time in months.

3) My blood sugar came down 120 points.

4) Quite frankly, all is right in my world.

5) I got word that my kayak trailer was available for pickup. Can't wait to try out my new kayak.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-31-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I buy toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds from the bulk section at our local Kroger-acquired grocery store. For at least the past 6 months, and probably more like a year, they have had the WRONG PRICING CODE, on the dispenser. Every time I purchase the seeds it takes time and frustration on the cashiers part to figure out how to ring up the purchase. And time on my part but that is not likely to motivate the store. I should try to track down a manager but it seems much more effective to rant about it on a guitar forum.
(I may take a piece of blue tape and a sharpie and cover up their code while I still remember the correct one)
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2022, 01:39 PM

Empty courtesy is one thing that bugs me somewhat, but that could be a cultural thing. When someone I don't know asks me, "How are you?" I generally sidestep the fake concern about my wellbeing by simply saying "Hello" back. It gets trickier when it's someone I'm on nodding terms with, such as bank tellers and Publix staff. In these cases, there's not much I can do but go through the routine:

"How are you?"
"I'm fine, thanks. And you?
"I'm good. Thanks for asking."

I have no ill will against anyone, but nor does it matter to me whether people I meet casually in the street have good, bad, or thoroughly miraculous days, and I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people who go through this routine feel exactly the same way. Couldn't we just exchange a simple 'hello' with a smile, instead?

Other examples of this include 'Have a great/wonderful day' and 'Nice to have met you' when we barely exchanged a word with the new person.

TV-wise, I think if there is any karmic justice in the universe, the woman who touts Lume female deodorant in that daring-to-be-fabulous manner will spend her next incarnation out in the sticks on a farming collective, along with J.G. Wentworth!
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I am practicing a lifestyle called Blissful Ignorance and Unawareness and people keep trying to drag me into their opinionated self-centeredness obsession with the insignificant and campaign relentlessly for me to choose a side in their neurosis, preferably their side. I wish they would just keep it to themselves and leave me out of it.

How's that?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-31-2022, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I am practicing a lifestyle called Blissful Ignorance and Unawareness and people keep trying to drag me into their opinionated self-centeredness obsession with the insignificant and campaign relentlessly for me to choose a side in their neurosis, preferably their side. I wish they would just keep it to themselves and leave me out of it.

How's that?
That's terrific. I try to do the same. It's kind of like the Serenity Prayer which I mean in a completely non-religious sense...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-31-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
That's terrific. I try to do the same. It's kind of like the Serenity Prayer which I mean in a completely non-religious sense...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference.
'Hoochie Mama!' works, too!

Old 07-31-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Wife called me earlier today to tell me that the lights in the hallway bathroom were out. She said that one of the bulbs in the vanity wall fixture was out so before replacing it she decided to take out all of the globes and wash them. After she put all of the globes back in place she started screwing the bulbs back in. On the second one, she said it sparked and all of the lights went out, including the ceiling light! I asked if she'd checked the circuit breakers and she said yes. No breakers were tripped.

No problem, I said. I'll take a look.

I flip the switch, and nothing. I flip the fan switch, and the fan comes on. Hmm. That's odd. I turn off the breaker and pull the vanity fixture down and check the wiring. It all looks good. No black marks that would indicate arcing. After re-securing everything I turn the breaker back on and test again. Nothing. I figured I'd check the light switch, so I grab the voltmeter. After pulling the plate and starting to unscrew the switch from the box.... the toggle switch literally falls out and hits the floor. Yeah, I think I know the problem!

Quick trip to the hardware store... replaced the switch and all is well. The weird part is how did replacing a bulb that sparked break a light switch, or is it just a weird coincidence? She swears that the light went out while she was screwing in the bulb. She did not slap at the switch or anything like that.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:42 PM

I’m taking turmeric to reduce inflammation and now my adult children are complaining about my orange teeth.😵*💫

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 07-31-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I’m taking turmeric to reduce inflammation and now my adult children are complaining about my orange teeth.😵*💫
Horsehockey, how are you taking it?

I take the capsules, no orange teeth.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic