The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-24-2022, 11:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Horrible Call in the USC Game Tonight

I'm the biggest USC homer on the planet, but the refs made a horrible call in favor of the Trojans in the last minutes of tonight's game against Oregon State. Coach Riley and his staff won't be able to keep a straight face when they watch this gaffe in the film room.

It was fourth and six, and on a keeper up the middle the SC quarterback was stopped dead in his tracks about two yards from the first down mark -- I mean, forward progress had CEASED, folks; it wasn't even close. Then half his offensive line came up behind him and shoved him over the line. No call? You have GOT to be kidding.

This game should have gone to Oregon State. They stopped SC's final drive. What a horrible call. Talk about dodging a bullet.

The play starts at the 1:55 time split.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-24-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:21 AM

Sorry, I disagree. The whistle hadn’t blown the play dead.
That’s the rules.
As far as pushing the runner forward, that’s legit, happens all the time.
BTW, I do not nor have I ever cared for USC. Same goes for their new head coach.
Go Buckeyes!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Agree with rokdog49, legit 1st down. Other players can push, happens all the time.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

One announcer proclaimed “Echos from the past” as they enthusiastically replayed that particular action.
As a USC fan I’m sure you understand the reference. But for those who don’t remember:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_U..._football_game

Back in 2005 assisting a runner forward was illegal/against the rules. That rule has been changed, thus the play last night was completely legitimate.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

…what a great game….I was pulling for the Beavs although I’m a Duck fan and it’s to Oregon’s advantage to see USC to win that game…..I didn’t think it was a particularly egregious no call ….the Beavers still had the chance to keep USC out of the end zone and they didn’t….the PAC 12 is back in my opinion with 4 teams in the top 25 and UCLA looking like they should be in to….the lesser teams like Oregon State and Washington State are very tough outs too both losing in the closing moments against ranked teams yesterday….
Old 09-25-2022, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for setting me straight, gents. That's a strange rule, but I guess if the Oregon State coach didn't call for a review he saw it the same way you do.

Rok, I was born and raised in Cleveland and have always been a Buckeye fan. Would be great to see SC vs Ohio State someday in the national title game.

Take Care, Everyone,
Scott
Old 09-25-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Thanks for setting me straight, gents. That's a strange rule, but I guess if the Oregon State coach didn't call for a review he saw it the same way you do.

Rok, I was born and raised in Cleveland and have always been a Buckeye fan. Would be great to see SC vs Ohio State someday in the national title game.

Take Care, Everyone,
Scott
I remember you had told me of your Cleveland roots many moons ago.
The Buckeyes are good enough to win it all this year.
We’ll keep our fingers crossed.
BTW, Cade Stover the starter at tight end, is from my back yard…Lexington, Ohio, just south of Mansfield. He was Ohio’s Mr. Football in 2020 and was being heavily recruited by Wisconsin. He stayed home and punished them Saturday night with two TD’s.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-25-2022, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I remember you had told me of your Cleveland roots many moons ago.
The Buckeyes are good enough to win it all this year.
We’ll keep our fingers crossed.
BTW, Cade Stover the starter at tight end, is from my back yard…Lexington, Ohio, just south of Mansfield. He was Ohio’s Mr. Football in 2020 and was being heavily recruited by Wisconsin. He stayed home and punished them Saturday night with two TD’s.
Yeah, I still root for the Bucks, for sure.

Rok, I went back to Cleveland for my 50th high school reunion. I hadn't been back in more than 30 years. I grew up in Warrensville Heights, on the poor side of the tracks from Shaker Heights. I have cousins galore out in the Akron and Medina area. My mom went to Brunswick High. My dad grew up in Twinsburg.

I go way back. Do you remember Rex Kern? He's from Lancaster as well. He was a great QB. He's 73 now! Lordy, time flies.

BTW, Rok, what are your thoughts on SC switching to the Big Ten? I have really mixed emotions about it, even though I know why they're doing it.

scott memmer
Old 09-28-2022, 05:49 AM

For sure I remember Rex Kern. Back in those days, 90% of the roster was Ohio boys.
I’m not a fan of what’s going on with teams switching conferences, but I realize it’s all about the money. Same with the way the transfer portal works. Then again, the is no loyalty with coaches and hasn’t been for a while.
At least some of these talented kids can move to another team and play right away. The ultimate goal is to get to the NFL and you can’t do that riding the bench behind somebody.
The current form of “pay for play” is a train wreck as well.

I still root for my Buckeyes. I guess I’m too old to abandon the college game.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic