The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Search the AGF forum for this topic - it has been discussed several times before - and you should find many recommendations to try.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM

I bought a guitar on ebay that reeked smoke. My fault, forgot to ask. For almost 2 years I tried just about everything listed in earlier replies. Coffee, dryer sheets, baking soda, lysol wipes, soap and water, leaving it outside in the sun for days, etc. When it wasn't outside it was in my basement, never in a case, to give it a chance to air out. Thanks to another thread on this forum, I bought an ozone generator. After two years of trying everything else, 30 minutes in the car with the ozone generator and the problem was solved. Completely.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktnelson View Post
I bought a guitar on ebay that reeked smoke... I bought an ozone generator. After two years of trying everything else, 30 minutes in the car with the ozone generator and the problem was solved. Completely.
Like...
https://www.amazon.com/One-Earth-Hea...0B4SECHQ5TP7SZ
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktnelson View Post
I bought a guitar on ebay that reeked smoke. My fault, forgot to ask. For almost 2 years I tried just about everything listed in earlier replies. Coffee, dryer sheets, baking soda, lysol wipes, soap and water, leaving it outside in the sun for days, etc. When it wasn't outside it was in my basement, never in a case, to give it a chance to air out. Thanks to another thread on this forum, I bought an ozone generator. After two years of trying everything else, 30 minutes in the car with the ozone generator and the problem was solved. Completely.
Yes, never thought of mentioning that. A friend of mine has a system he sells to sports teams to clean their equipment. A number of the professional teams now have them.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 PM

One or questions I ask after deciding to buy a guitar, after the condition, repairs... is humidity, cigarette exposure, and pets. It’s much easier than trying to rectify those issues after the fact. Do try the ozone generator if the smell bothers you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion