The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
I mean, for those of you who play fingerstyle and move a lot along the fretboard from 1st to very high positions, are you feeling right with this string space that increases a lot starting from the nut and going toward the 14th fret?
The distance between strings changes a lot moving on the neck.
I like to have a lot of space for my right hand but I discover that I feel much better if the string space is more similar through the whole neck for my left hand.
My Santa Cruz FS for example has 1&13/16 at nut and something like 1&1/4 at saddle and I like it so much for my left hand.
I am planning to buy a guitar that has 1&3/4 at nut and 2&5/16 at saddle and I'm quite afraid for the increasing space along the neck.
Any opinion?
Hi E-612

I'm even good with 2¼" spacing (and yes 1 ¾").

I don't have issues with 2⁵⁄₁₆" string spacing at the tail either. And I can play 1¹³⁄₁₆" nut too. At 1⅞" I do have to think about it for a bit, but after ½ hour or so, I'm adjusted.

I think some humans adapt and others specialize. I prefer to adapt.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 PM

I had a dreadnought with a 1 23/32 nut with 2 7/32 saddle spacing for 12 years. I just replaced it with a guitar with 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 saddle spacing and wished I had done it years ago. It took a couple weeks but now I prefer the wider spacing. Strumming, flat picking and finger picking improves every day. I love my new guitar.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Does anyone find equal string spacing at the saddle, for any given width, makes a tangible difference compared to equal centres?
I've never thought about this stringjunky2 (is there a stringjunky1?) but it's an interesting concept that can be applied to the nut also I suppose.

What I HAVE thought about is UNEQUAL string spacing for two reasons. I think the distance between strings 5-6 (low E & A) should be greater than the spacing between strings 1-2 (high E and B). Why? Because on strings 1-2 my fingers aren't stretching to fret them, and as a result they are perpendicular to the fretboard (optimum). On strings 5-6 I have to reach to get there, with less than a 90deg angle to the fretboard, and thus my finger is closer to the adjacent strings (buzz!).

Of course another (even better) reason to do this is that strings 5-6 vibrate with greater amplitude than 1-2, so these strings get closer to your fretted finger. Does anyone ever have finger buzz off of strings 1 or 2? (I can't imagine it).

If you have large hands you might not have a problem with reason #1, but everyone experiences reason #2.

I think I'm getting unintelligible, which is a good reason to go to bed now (reason #3).
Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I've never thought about this stringjunky2 (is there a stringjunky1?) but it's an interesting concept that can be applied to the nut also I suppose.

What I HAVE thought about is UNEQUAL string spacing for two reasons. I think the distance between strings 5-6 (low E & A) should be greater than the spacing between strings 1-2 (high E and B). Why? Because on strings 1-2 my fingers aren't stretching to fret them, and as a result they are perpendicular to the fretboard (optimum). On strings 5-6 I have to reach to get there, with less than a 90deg angle to the fretboard, and thus my finger is closer to the adjacent strings (buzz!).

Of course another (even better) reason to do this is that strings 5-6 vibrate with greater amplitude than 1-2, so these strings get closer to your fretted finger. Does anyone ever have finger buzz off of strings 1 or 2? (I can't imagine it).

If you have large hands you might not have a problem with reason #1, but everyone experiences reason #2.

I think I'm getting unintelligible, which is a good reason to go to bed now (reason #3).
Yes, if you have equal spacing you take some space off the thin strings and give it to the fatter ones where it can get a bit tight at the saddle end.

Concerning stringjunky1, something happened to my access to it, so I made S2.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorne View Post
I had a dreadnought with a 1 23/32 nut with 2 7/32 saddle spacing for 12 years. I just replaced it with a guitar with 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 saddle spacing and wished I had done it years ago. It took a couple weeks but now I prefer the wider spacing. Strumming, flat picking and finger picking improves every day. I love my new guitar.
This: "and wished I had done it years ago." is why I ask myself, and others, these kinds of questions. I don't want to waste time on the wrong path.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Can you still strum and pick with 2 5/16 or is it getting a bit wide?
Well I'm a big boisterous strummer so 2-5/16" suits me perfectly.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I find that I have a range that I am most comfortable with. I prefer a nut between 1 and 11/16th and 1 and 3/4" with spacing at the saddle between 2 and 1/8th and 2 and 5/16ths. My most recent custom guitar is 1 and 23/32nds and 2 and 1/4. That seems to be my sweet spot though I can play all of my guitars without any issue. If it gets wider on either end then it is not as ideal for me. On the guitar with the 2 and 1/8th at the saddle, I tend to play closer to the bridge to compensate but it is not as ideal for fingerpicking as far as space goes. But it sounds fabulous fingerpicked so it is doable with some practice.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Yup, wider the better. Especially switching from classical to steel string. One thing I really like about Taylor, you can order many of their guitars with a 1 7/8" nut width. Plenty of spacing throughout. My new OM-28 has the 1 3/4, not bad, but getting used to..

Then again, I've seen some players with really fat fingers play fine (fingerstyle) on a 1 11/16" nut. How do they do that??!!!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM

I only fingerpick and yup, a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" nut and a 2 5/16" spread at the bridge. Not saying I cannot and do not play guitars with somewhat less generous specs. Just prefer the more spacious arrangement when I can get it.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 AM

I only play about 1/3 of my music fingerstyle, and strongly prefer a 1 11/16" (43mm) nut width.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:54 AM

I guess it's got to be a matter of experience. I've been on a classical the last couple years. I'll get there.

Plus, some chords are easier than others, not much gets in the way on an E minor, but a C major with arpeggios in and out is another thing.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I’m sure you mean 1 13/16 x 2 1/4”. The saddle therefore is 1/16” wider over 6 strings so each string moves about 1/96” or about 0.01”. Yes I think I could feel it but all my guitars but one are 2 1/4” - 2 3/8”. I have no trouble instantly switching. I’m a bit sloppier on my D-28 which is 1 11/16 x 2 1/8”. I don’t finger pick on that one.
Yes you are right. A wrong key on my keyboard
It is 2&1/4 at saddle.
I agree with you about the space between every string.
What I mean (and I think someone may have misunderstood) is the string space that increases along the neck. So if you play the same left fingers progression in different parts of the neck the distance between strings for the left hand is not always the same but it changes much more (much more is always relative) than on a neck like my Santa Cruz for example. Sorry, english is not my language, I hope it's clear what I mean.
So, I'm very comfortable with 2&5/16 for my left hand, I'm quite comfortable with 1&3/4 for my left hand (even if I prefer 1&13/16). My doubt is only the increasing space along the neck instead of a more regular distance.
That's what I'm afraid about and I asked for your experience about that.
For example a Martin 000 has a less space increase along the neck because it is only 2&5/32 at the saddle, so I like it along the neck for my left hand, but it is too narrow for my right hand.
Thank you for all your replies
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I guess it's got to be a matter of experience. I've been on a classical the last couple years. I'll get there.

Plus, some chords are easier than others, not much gets in the way on an E minor, but a C major with arpeggios in and out is another thing.
That, and knowledge of your own body. I have a longtime index finger injury on my left hand and I have learned how that limits me somewhat. I think ergonomics can play a role in how efficiently and effectively we use both our fretting and strumming/fingerpicking hands.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion