The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Default A Trip to Wildwood Music

Visited Marty, Don and Brian today at Wildwood Music.
Wanted to check out the D41 they just put in the vault section. Very nice but as I tried out about 30 different Martins, the OM attached just felt great.
My fingers need a days rest!
Wildwood will close this December and just wanted to visit one more time, this is my fourth guitar from them.
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/martin-...pa-photo=16409
Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 PM

I had no idea Wildwood music was closing. I've been down there several times. It's a wonderful Haven for guitar lovers.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM

I was just at Wildwood a few weeks ago and bought a new Martin 000-18...

I talked with Brian and Marty at length, and I didn't hear a word about them closing the doors in December?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Visited Marty, Don and Brian today at Wildwood Music.
Wanted to check out the D41 they just put in the vault section. Very nice but as I tried out about 30 different Martins, the OM attached just felt great.
My fingers need a days rest!
Wildwood will close this December and just wanted to visit one more time, this is my fourth guitar from them.
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/martin-...pa-photo=16409
I did a "Day at Wildwood" a number of years ago & got my OM-21 from them. I was blown away by the experience & Marty & Don were super! (I don't remember a Brian, though.)

What a shame if they are going out of business. This thread is a strange companion to the *Price Vs In Store* thread. Don't know the reason they are choosing to close but the online competition can't help.

Frank

Last edited by fwphoto; 04-22-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 AM

Don and Marty are retiring this year, and their son Brian is heading South for his career as a Gold Pro.
The shop has been open for over 30 years and no mention of retail pressure for shutting down.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

How sad! If you're looking for that special custom Martin, they're tops in my book. Marty and Don are a joy to talk with. I wish them all the best. They will be missed.

That's one nice looking OM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:29 AM

Brian must have been pretty young when I visited so probably wasn't on "staff" yet. :-)

Wildwood will be missed!

Frank
Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Just a few extra comments.....Brian may indeed like gold but his passion is golf. He has enjoyed his time with musical instruments but his real passion is golf. Brian mentioned that Don is experiencing some health issues and he and Marty really want to spend more time with other, Marty is one of C.F. Martin's first female retail customers thanks to C.F. Martin III. It's a great story, make sure to ask her about it. End of an era.....
Keb Mo 00, J-35 Collectors Edition, 12-Fret AJ,
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12
Rainsong C1100-NS, Recording King RP 626 Schoenberg
Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Wonder if they will sell the shop to someone else or liquidate their inventory. Sad to see them go.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 AM

It would be great if someone would take over the shop that has the same passion for guitars and the same level of customer service.
I guess my trips for a great guitar store will be north the Eldery Music after Wildwood is gone.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I was out there 3 weeks ago and Brian spoke to me at length about it. They are out of the new guitar network now. Nothing new coming. But!!! they have plenty of inventory and a lot of Larrivee and Martin customs to choose from! Several Lowdens are in stock as well as 3-4 Avalon guitars. Still go there or give them a call if you're looking for something.

I'll probably go out again in late summer or early fall to hang out a little bit .
Old 04-22-2018, 12:16 PM

The first time I wandered down to Wildwoood was last fall. I went to look at a used Martin D35-12 my wife was interested in. The place was locked up like a drum. Apparently they were only open three afternoons a week. Who would have thunk it.

I will have to get back down there before they close. My wife who is a native Ohioan says she cannot recall them not being there.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

There are other places to visit, but none finer than Wildwood Music. I've lost count of the number of visits I've made down there, and Don & Marty (and more recently Brian) have become real friends. I hadn't heard of them retiring, but it wouldn't surprise me, as I do know Don's had some health issues and they've been at this game for a long time. I know for a fact that they are still taking Custom Shop orders...maybe that will end soon, but it hasn't yet. As for them only being open only 3-days a week...they've had limited hours for a long time (maybe 20-years or more).

If they are in fact retiring at the end of the year, it brings an end to a very special place for me and many others, so in that respect it is very sad. However, if this is what Don & Marty want, then I wish them all the best in their retirement...they certainly deserve it!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Did you try any of the M (0000) sized Martins? They have one with wild grained rosewood and an adi top that I've been staring at for the past week.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM

How can anybody go there and NOT play some of the Gibson SJ-200's they stock?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion