The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Default The arm rest vs. arm bevel photo/info/opinion thread

One of the very best things about AGF is the ability to use the search function to find information about guitars and guitar-related products so people that are curious can make more informed decisions about such things. A recent great thread asking why more guitars didn't come with an arm bevel gave me a great idea for one of these informational threads that people searching in the future can access.

The purpose of this thread is for people that HAVE (or had) and LIKE arm rests and/or arm bevels can post photos of their guitars with said features and explain their experiences with them. This is NOT a thread for people that do not like them, care about them or want them to chime in with their opinions and start flame wars. I'm sure my request for such a thread will be ignored but you can't blame a guy for trying, right? Here goes:

I do not claim to be an expert or know everything about these two features, but I do own two guitars with them so here are my opinions - and, of course, photos - of both...

An 'arm rest' is something that get's added after the fact to your guitar. It's purpose is to provide a mechanism to keep your forearm off the top of the guitar with the dual purpose of keeping the oils from your skin from contacting the guitar's top (which over time could cause discoloration) as well as allowing the guitar to resonate more freely (because your arm isn't dampening the vibration) thus allowing for better tone and/or sustain. It can also provide a little comfort since the edge is more rounded than the regular edge of the guitar. The arm rest is sold by aftermarket dealers, the most commonly known (as far as I know) being the John Pearse offerings. They come in several sizes, shapes, woods and finishes. They attach with a double sided adhesive tape that bonds extremely well but supposedly can be removed (I've never tried). They are relatively inexpensive.

I put a John Pearse arm rest on my Martin 00-28VS. I like the look and wanted a little more comfort and figured any more tone I got would be a plus. The product was excellent in build-quality and easy to install. It definitely keeps my forearm off the top of the guitar and it does provide a little more comfort because the sharp edge is not digging into my arm. It does though make the guitar significantly wider so if you suffer from shoulder problems this should be taken into consideration. Whereas the 00-28VS is already a small-body guitar, the added width did not affect me negatively but if you play a larger 000, OM or dread this consideration should be factored in. As for added or improved tone/sustain, I definitely did seem to notice a little more sustain but it's very, VERY small and could certainly be all 'in my head'. All in all I'm pleased with the product and plan to keep it on. I would likely add it to future guitars.

Here's some photos of my 00-28VS with the John Pearse rosewood arm rest installed:

An 'arm bevel' is a completely different animal from an arm rest. An arm bevel is a feature that is part of the guitar build where the builder deliberately creates a beveled edge in the lower top bout of the guitar where the player's forearm naturally lays across this area. It is generally (as far as I know) only found in mid-to-high end custom guitars. They are both functional and beautiful (subjective). Many people hate the look as not being traditional. They are obviously labor intensive for the builder and as such tend to add a significant bump in the price of the guitar. I've heard the number $900 bandied about but I have never gone to a builder's website and checked it out. I'm sure others who have will offer their opinions on this.

The functional part of this feature is purely comfort and not increased tone/sustain or keeping the players oils from contacting the top. The reason is that due to the way the bevel works, your arm actually makes as much, if not more, contact with the top of the guitar than a guitar with no bevel. I recently acquired a Kronbauer TDK mini jumbo guitar with an arm bevel. I was always in the camp of people that thought a well-made guitar with an arm bevel is beautiful and always wanted to try one. So when a fellow AGF'er hit me up for a trade on a guitar I had in the classifieds I thought, "what the heck, why not?" - here's my chance to try out a guitar from a respected builder I didn't know AND try out an arm bevel at the same time! I'm very glad I did. Not only do I love the comfort of the arm bevel, but I love everything about the guitar which is stunningly beautiful. In addition to the bevel providing the comfort to the forearm by removing the sharp edge, it also allows for more comfort to the shoulder by decreasing that angle. I generally do not play guitars larger than 00-size due to a gimpy shoulder, but the added bevel allows complete playing comfort from a guitar is is closer to 000 or OM size. So there's that.

Here's some photos of my Kronbauer TDK with arm bevel:

To see more photos of this stunning guitar (you should see the back and sides!) here's my recent NGD thread with more photos: NGD: Kronbauer TDK

So there you have it. Please post your photos of your guitars with arm rests and or arm bevels and your experiences with them so others in the future can find the information and make their own decisions!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Those are interesting reviews and appreciated, as I have neither. It will be interesting to see how this thread gains momentum!

And...those are two very beautiful guitars!

FMB
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

While I have never played a guitar with an "arm rest", I have 2 guitars with an "arm bevel". The guitars I own without an arm bevel; I tend to get a nice indent on the skin on my under-arm when I play for any long periods of time (my chest too, when I'm lurking for too long). For obvious reasons, that doesn't happen when playing an arm beveled guitar.

On my LS Stehr, the bevel is actually a 1/2 bevel, for it isn't as pronounced as a regular bevel, but it pretty much does the same job. I think there are some folks out there that don't like the look of bevels because it makes the guitar look unsymmetrical, so the 1/2 bevel is a nice alternative to get the best of both worlds.

On my 8 string Stehr, I am lucky enough to have the full bevel, but also a "rib bevel". This makes the Small Jumbo all that much more comfortable to play.

Not that non-beveled guitars aren't worthy of me, but if I were to commission a guitar, a bevel will no doubt be a mandatory option.

In summary, thumbs up for bevels!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Stehr SJ Sinker/BRZ 8 string

That Stehr SJ Sinker/BRZ 8 string of yours is a beautiful instrument!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM

For 40+ years I thought they looked funky. Now that I've got one on my old Guild I realize that it really does keep me from damping the top and I've even come to think that it looks OK as well.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
For 40+ years I thought they looked funky. Now that I've got one on my old Guild I realize that it really does keep me from damping the top and I've even come to think that it looks OK as well.
I've heard people complain about the aesthetics of the armrest, but never understood why (in some cases) an armrest would bother them but not the pickguard.

But then again a lot of people complained how ugly telecasters looked when they first came out. I guess it's likely a matter of what you are used to and what you grew up with.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
A recent great thread asking why more guitars didn't come with an arm bevel
Haha, yeah my thread really did blow up SOOOO fast!!! its seems a hot topic.
Great informative post Methos and I love that Kronbauer arm bevel.

An FYI. The addition of an arm bevel on taylor guitars if you order through a good custom dealer like LA guitars would run you around about $800 extra, I think its a lot less than many thought it would be.
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
+1! Wow, absolutely gorgeous.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Regarding bevels, lots of great stuff to like. Comfort, ergonomics, more elegant curved lines to admire, another surface to show off pretty wood, and some cool interaction with the binding. Sign me up!

Tradition is fine as far as it goes, but when something better comes along, tradition can get the ol' heave-ho.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 09-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
+1! Wow, absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks guys! It was my first true commission, and Joel is a super great and talented guy.

Here's one more for the droolers.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM

On my OOORSGT it seems to compliment my black pick guard nicely as wellas all the practical aspects.

And on my D18 it keeps the smudges off of the sunburst finish. And the top on it is so lively, it really helps the tone.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM

I got the chance to play a guitar with an arm bevel last year. I thought it was really comfortable, and I am pretty sure the next guitar I order or buy will have one. Not sure why this wasn't an earlier innovation on the acoustic guitar. It just improves the playing experience so much more.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM

I've used the Pearse arm rest on multiple guitars and it effects a noticeable improvement in the tone. I find another benefit for playing ergonomics is that it helps me to poise my picking hand more effectively above the strings while keeping my wrist straight.

I would happily own a guitar with an arm bevel although one hasn't come my way yet. I did actually consider picking up an inexpensive OM - like a RO-10 - and having James from Shabby Chic create one on it. He actually takes the back off, replaces it with good wood, and in the mean time can make a bevel - as well as a Manzer wedge - if so desired.

Here's an example of James's work. An AGF member ultimately bought it for his daughter and raved about it.

http://www.shabbychicguitars.com/sc000.htm

One last thing worth mentioning. Tonally, the two modifications might actually achieve different ends. The Pearse armrest should increase the area of the top free to vibrate while the armrest bevel should actually decrease the vibrating surface area. On the other hand, they would also achieve opposite effects in terms of comfort. The Pearse rest makes the guitar size effectively larger, while the bevel makes it feel smaller. So maybe a 00 with a Pearse armrest would sound and feel similar to an OM with a bevel?

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 PM

I would post a photo of my D28,but sadly am unable to at present.The ebony John Pearse armrest does offset the black pickguard and I want to make this point-My right arm relaxed immediately when I started playing and I wish
I had installed one many years ago!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Really no comparison, the armrest accessories adds bulk to your guitar while the built-in armrest, or arm bevel reduces bulk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion