The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Default New Shatten HFN install

Just installed a Shatten HFN-C in my steel string Bourgeois DB-DS and boy does it sound great. Very balanced. Clear as can be. No boomy bass or screeching highs. No feedback either. Just clear, rich tone. The install was easy as can be and took about 30 minutes. I used the tape that comes with it and it seems to be holding fine. And there is a good amount of body resonance and tapping response from the face. Overall I am very pleased with this pickup from Shatten and would install another one if needed. The difference between the HFN-C and the HFN is that the pickup has four feet on the C whereas it has three feet on the one designed for steel strings. The C stands for classical. But after talking with Shatten, they assured me that the C passive version is just as good or better than the one they sell for steel string guitars. I made the mistake in ordering but am glad I did now.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Just installed a Shatten HFN-C in my steel string Bourgeois DB-DS and boy does it sound great. Very balanced. Clear as can be. No boomy bass or screeching highs. No feedback either. Just clear, rich tone. The install was easy as can be and took about 30 minutes. I used the tape that comes with it and it seems to be holding fine. And there is a good amount of body resonance and tapping response from the face. Overall I am very pleased with this pickup from Shatten and would install another one if needed. The difference between the HFN-C and the HFN is that the pickup has four feet on the C whereas it has three feet on the one designed for steel strings. The C stands for classical. But after talking with Shatten, they assured me that the C passive version is just as good or better than the one they sell for steel string guitars. I made the mistake in ordering but am glad I did now.
The C version has indeed the only difference in the number of feet simply because classical guitars often have a central brace which would prevent from installing the pickup exactly in the middle. Before ordering an HFN is indeed good to check the bracing pattern and decide if to go for 3 or 4 feet.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

That is interesting for sure. At least it sounds the same as the normal HFN.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM

I mistakenly ordered a C and sent it back. Maybe I should have tried it.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM

Way to go Hotrod.....now we all gotta run out and get the C version, cause it might just sound a wee bit better....maybe

Congratulations, glad it worked out so well for you
Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 PM

It was my mistake to order the C version and not by design. I got it and called Shatten himself. He said it ought to be just fine so I installed it. I think it sounds better than any other pickup I have used and thats most of them. Of course I eq it a little and it can handle adding some highs or lows just fine.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
It was my mistake to order the C version and not by design. I got it and called Shatten himself. He said it ought to be just fine so I installed it. I think it sounds better than any other pickup I have used and thats most of them. Of course I eq it a little and it can handle adding some highs or lows just fine.
The main thing is that you're happy with it. And I totally agree I've sampled a lot of pickups over the years and finally found the HFN I need not look any further.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification