The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Default Godin Art and Lutherie - incredible value

I’m in the U.K. where American made guitars are about 3 times the cost of an equivalent non-American guitars such as Tanglewood.

I’ve just traded my Cumberland series Washburn WJ45S for an Godin Art and Lutherie cedar top dreadnought.

The Washburn which is a a beautifully made and stunning to look at super jumbo- but that thick solid top kind of choked it for fingerstyle but it was nice at belting out big chords. It had nothing in the middle strings.

The Art and Lutherie on the hand not only belts out big chords with enough note separation so as not too overly compressed, it’s got great mid tone projection and responds beautifully to fingerstyle.

But I can’t get over the price - I got it reduced as it’s the run out antique burst - cedar sold top, Tusq nut and saddle, and again beautifully made but simple to look at - not as pretty as the Washburn with its flame maple back and sides and abalone inlays and binding. But it just kills the Washburn. For £299. That’s a steal for a guitar like this. And out of the box action, intonation, frets all just perfect - which I find a rare thing especially at this price.

I’m so impressed.

Last edited by vinnie1971; 03-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:24 PM

I am not impressed. I have owned an Art & Lutherie and they are made about 7 hours from my home. The reason I am not impressed is I know what they are and have played several. They are quite common around here and have not seen, heard or played a bad one. If you think they are impressive you should try the Simon & Patrick Showcase or Seagull Artist models. They will rund you around 700-800 pounds but are fantastic guitars. Enjoy you A & L and glad you are impressed and happy or happily impressed.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM

It always makes me happy and proud as a Canadian when someone discovers how good the Godin line of guitars are, especially for the price. My brother inlaw owns a similar one to yours, his is about twenty years old and sounds great.

Congratulations and enjoy your new found Canadian friend.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Oh yes they are excellent guitars and made in Canada not far from where I live. Yes, they are part of the Godin/LaSiDo group of instruments that started with the Norman brand name in about 1971. Robert Godin bought the Norman name and factory in the 80's I believe.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Vinnie, yes, A&L are great guitars as are all the Godin line made in Quebec, Canada. I have 3 Simon & Patricks and a La Patrie classical as well.

Godin has nailed the cedar/laminate cherry wood combo at a great price point.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM

I live in the States. I have a number of US made guitars. I have a Seagull too. I think the Godin made guitars are an extremely good value. They sound better than they should. They play well too.

They may not be as glamorous as some other guitars. But they have it where it counts. Pay no attention to those that disparage your guitar. You like it. That is all that counts. It will get better as you play it.

Enjoy your A&L. Make lots of good music with it.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Vinnie, yes, A&L are great guitars as are all the Godin line made in Quebec, Canada. I have 3 Simon & Patricks and a La Patrie classical as well.

Godin has nailed the cedar/laminate cherry wood combo at a great price point.

I can’t get over the price. It’s at the same price point as my Tanglewood grand auditorium but it’s so much nicer to play and the tone, I did not expect such great tone at this price.

That cedar and cherrywood, It even smells delicious!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I live in the States. I have a number of US made guitars. I have a Seagull too. I think the Godin made guitars are an extremely good value. They sound better than they should. They play well too.

They may not be as glamorous as some other guitars. But they have it where it counts. Pay no attention to those that disparage your guitar. You like it. That is all that counts. It will get better as you play it.

Thanks. I have had some very expensive Spanish classical guitars ( a £2000 Ramirez for example) but I’ve come to appreciate the law of diminishing returns.

While I loved how pretty my Washburn was, it really didn’t suit my fingerstyle. but the A&L rustic grass roots appearance is also appealing to look at for different reasons- it reminds me that I got it to play what is basically roots music and it had that earthy vibe.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Paddy, what a great way to describe the Godin family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post

They may not be as glamorous as some other guitars. But they have it where it counts.
Pay no attention to those that disparage your guitar. You like it. That is all that counts. It will get better as you play it.

Vinny, here in Canada they are readily available used at a fantastic price. My 3 S&Ps were purchased used and bought on that first strum at a pawn shop or the guitar shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie1971 View Post
I can’t get over the price. It’s at the same price point as my Tanglewood grand auditorium but it’s so much nicer to play and the tone, I did not expect such great tone at this price.

That cedar and cherrywood, It even smells delicious!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion